1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling Sony DAVS S 550 owners!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by ibrox, Oct 28, 2003.

1. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys;
    Another slight problem which I hope somebody will know the solution.

My grandson of 2yrs has obvioulsy found at a very handy height for himself controls on the Sony DAV S550.
    He has managed to find a button which has brought up on the Sony Monitor "N.Surround".
    I used to have on the monitor Video 2 constantly.

I noticed Video 2 appears for a split second when channel is switched but reverts to this constant "N.Surround".
    According to he manual I could only see a reference to Sound Field button but this merely switched the monitor between Auto Deco ,Hall,Jazz club and various others.

Maybe when set up "N .Surround" should have been on anyway.

Any ideas as to correct settings and what I should do?
    Should I have Video 2 showing constantly for T.V viewing?

Hoping someone can help.

2. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From memory (I can confirm later this evening), there is a button on the remote called "display" this togles between displaying the input (DVD, Video, Tuner, etc) and displaying the current sound processing ((N.Surround, Hall, etc)

The fact it currently says N.Surround does not affect the souce being input. What it means is that your player is set up to process PLI or PLII (ie prologic 1 or 2). I normally have mine set up as PLII for tv and Auto for DVD.

As I said, this is from memory so please don't quote me on it ;) I shall have a look tonight and post more detailed explanation (unless some one beats me too it).

Duncs

3. jimbolean

jimbolean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Video 2 just refers to the input you are using i.e. in the back of the DAV.

To listen to your normal Tv channels through the system (using Dolby Pro-Logic II) you need to have it on N Surround, accessed by pressing the 'Sound Field' button.

You should also have 'pro-logic II' visible on the display next to N.Surround.

Jimbolean

4. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys.
    The set up is exactly the same as described by jimbolean.

You mean to say that my 2 yr old grandson has actually set up my system properly.

If watching DVD`s do I simply press sound field to change to Cinema Ex A,B or C?.

Is the difference simply individual preference between those 3.

Listening to music to 2ch Stereo and listening to radio?

5. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ibrox,

I think the Cinema EX selections are down to personal preference, when I read the manual, I think it recommended different modes for different uses, eg. Cinema EX C for movies etc.

I set mine to AUTO, when watching DVD's, then it can pick up what the DVD is outputting, like DTS etc.

:hiya:

6. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Paul J ;
    Let`s see if I`ve got it right.
    T.V viewing = N.Surround
    DVD viewing /films = Auto Deco
    Music (CD)and Radio =Auto Deco

7. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds right to me. Not sure about the radio, i don't use it. From memory if you use Normal Surround on cd/radio, it gives you the option to change from PLII Movie to PLII Music.

Paul ;)

8. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Paul J.
    I`ll use Auto Deco only for watching films on DVD with everything else Normal Sound.

Must listen hard to see if I notice any perceptible difference from N.Surround and Auto Deco sound.

I think Auto Deco was on originally and really have`nt noticed any difference since went to Normal Sound but it may just be me!!