Calling Sony 940 owners

P

paiger

I have just got one of these and while very pleased with it I have a problem with the AFD Soundfield. The manual says it is supposed to detect the format of the input but all I get is two channels from my TV, video and ONdigital box. I have tried a variety of different connectors and all channels but it never detects prologic. Any answers for this? I don't think I am missing anything. I have yet to try digital inputs and have only used phone leads.

All help gratefully recieved,

Steve

I have little experience of Sony's (never actually owning one) but can advise that no hardware (that i know of) will detect "Pro-Logic". In laymans terms Dolby Pro-Logic is quite a simple (by some of today' alternatives) Decode process that can be applied to any (more commonly) analogue 2 channel (even if a split mono) signal. To operate correctly it requires a purpose designed matrix encoded 2 channel (L+R) STEREO signal, it will however attempt to "do it's thing" with ANY non-encoded signal with phase shifted imformation present. So your amp never SEE'S Pro-logic but APLLIES Pro-logic. This (Pro-Logic) is the common default for most AV amps.

Regards

SteveEX

Thanks for that, it says in the manual that if you put a prologic signal through it, it will pick it up. I dunno. I play videos and they come out in 2 channel only. I have to switch to Surround mode to get full sound.

I'm getting a DVD player tommorow so I'll try that, see if it can see the DD signal.

S

A stereo signal is always a pro-logic signal: if you are hearing sound from left and right speakers, and nothing *ever* from the rear then you probably don't have a stereo signal. You have a mono signal fed to both left and right. Check for crossed connectors or a dodgy old scart that may join left and right together somewhere.

Steve I Have The 940 And You Are Right The A.F.D Will Not Detect Prologic But Will Detect DD,DTS. I Have It Hooked Up To My Sony DVD Player And It Detects The Sound Perfect, Dont Worry About It Not Picking Up Prologic From Ondigital, Video As The Single Is 2cH And The Prologic Is Sent To Your 940 Just Press Prologic Button On The Hand Set In The Sound Field Section. ;)

I have the Sony STRDB830 and I think that it may pick up Pro-logic but only if the signal is coming in over one of the digital connections (co-axial or optical), other wise it won't auto detect it.

I used to have the 930 and now have a 555 ES. They(and the 940) work exactly the same with this topic.

I just leave it set on "Cinema A". If I listen to a CD(not often), I change it to a different mode. In Cinema A, you benefit from Sony's virtual extra rear channels, "Digital Cinema Sound". Plus, in this mode it will auto-detect DD/DTS and 2-channel sources default to Pro-Logic. Hope this is useful.

It's all programmed into macros in the Pronto so my wife can't get it wrong! :rolleyes:

Cheers,
WSquared

Thanks for all the comments, put my mind at rest. I have yet to try digital inputs, maybe that will help. I have it set to Cinema B at the mo as I find that sounds best with my Ruarks but they are not yet run in so we'll see. I didn't realise it switched to DD and DTS in this mode. That's useful and solves all my problems. Now, macros...........hmmmm.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom