1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling Sharp XV-Z200 Owners

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by lindzap, Dec 6, 2004.

1. lindzap

lindzap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Has anyone tried using their Sharp XV-Z200/Z201 with a Denon DVD player using a DVI or HDMI connection?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi :hiya:

I drive my Z200 with a Pioneer 868 via HDMI and a PC with DVI .. have you got problems with the Denon in particular or the Sharp?

3. Russell King

Russell King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this information help?

The Denon DVD Blk level setup needs to be set to Enhanced and the DVI output set to 720P. This is done by accessing the mode button on the front panel. On the projector remote simply press the Digital input button.

Changing the black level setup effectively changes the data rate/structure of info being sent to the projector. Not changing the black levels when using DVI-D signal means the image can appear blocky in dark areas and produce a washed out image.

Russ

4. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I think Russell is correct. This problem was covered some time ago in the DVD player section. More specifically the Denon A-11.

5. lindzap

lindzap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. The question I have underlying this is: The 2910/3910 Denons have HDMI and DVI outputs. The Sharp has a DVI input. I could buy a DVI-DVI cable and end the story there but since I have a 12m run and this cable will cost quite a bit I started thinking....
    I'd like to think I can use it for my next projector (which I guess will probably have an HDMI input) and I was thinking about getting a 12m HDMI-HDMI cable and using a HDMI/DVI converter plug at the projector end. However, if it won't work I'd rather know before going too far.
    Hence I'd like to know whether anyone has tried connecting a Sharp to one of the new Denon's and if so how they got along?
    If anyone thinks my HDMI cable idea is a bad one please put me out of my distress!
    As a last and final thought, long HDMI cables seem much more easy to come by than DVI ones, is using the HDMI out therefore better in some way?

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    IMHO you'd be better off getting an HDMI cable if it works as a better long-term investment, especially given the price of these things.

All I can say is that since the HDMI spec. is DVI+audio+HDCP (in effect) then an adapter to convert the video signals from HDMI to DVI should simple and therefore not really being a potential problem.

If you're unsure I'd heartily recommend you talk to Joe at The Media Factory, I got my 9m DVI->DVI off him as well as a DVI switch and other cables and he was extremely helpful in offering advice .. even to the point of selling me something cheaper than what I asked for because it was just as good :).

BTW, that page I linked to only shows cables up to 5M, he does far longer ones too .. at a price. ;)

7. lindzap

lindzap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    That's good advice, thanks. I'll follow-up.
    I'm with you in the "it should work" senitment - just would like someone to have said "Yes, that's what I do and it's fine" before shelling out.

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I understand your concern .. several DVD players' HDMI outputs were found not to work with DVI(HDCP) projectors around this time last year (not your situation I know, but in the same sort of area) .. maybe you'd be best off getting a small cable and adapter and trying it before laying out for a long one .. or Joe may have another idea. :)

9. lindzap

lindzap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I went ahead and it works terrifically well. However, I think I'm getting an underscan problem, but I can live with that by manual adjustment.

10. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Ah yes, a few of us had this problem and had to send our units to Sharpserv for a firmware upgrade. Did you get a sheet of paper with your unit telling you how to fix it?

I will PM you the sheet I got.

11. lindzap

lindzap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks very much. No, I didn't get any paper instructions. I called Sharp to get more details about how to access the menu and they seemed to deny all knowledge on such a problem. I am waiting a ring-back from "an engineer", though. To see the overscan menu, I assume I just press these keys on the remote in sequence, right?

12. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Strage they didn't know about it. Was it Sharp or Sharpserv that you called?
    When I and a few others from the forums called Sharpserv, the helpdesk didn't know the fault, but the engineer did. Might be worth calling Sharp for confirmation.
    Do you have the numebrs for them?
    Regarding the menu, I'm sure it was on the remote I pressed the buttons, but then again it may have been on the unit. The function only works if you have the latest firmware. A few of the guys tried it but it didn't work until after the upgrade.

13. lindzap

lindzap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I got a Phonecall back from Sharp (the 0870 738 0000) number. It was not an Engineer that rang it was the same agent that I spoke to yesterday. They told me that there was no firmware upgrade for the XV-Z200 and that if I was to access any of the service menus it could cost be up to £600-£700 to repair if it went wrong. Also they told me that there was nothing I could do. Obviously a disappointing response to what I thought was a perfectly valid query.
    Has anyone got anything that I can go back to Sharp with (such as an email or fax explaining the patch sequence) and so that I can explain to them that I'm not getting good service here and that my problem is a real one?

14. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Ah, that's Sharpserv. Ridiculous cost they want to charge. I really hate companies that scare people into this sort of thing.
    Number for Sharp (Thanks to the guys on the LCD TV forum) is 0161 204 2300.
    I don't have an e-mail address unfortunatly.