1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling RPTV Owners in Scotland!!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Mr Hoppy, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Mr Hoppy

Mr Hoppy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

I've decided to upgrade from my Hitachi 32" CRT, but I'm undecided as to which route to take:-

36" CRT.....Possibly still the best P.Q. overall, but they're bulky and only offer an extra 4" of display.

Plasma.....Continually improving, but still pricey and have their own P.Q. issues.

RPTV.....Inexpensive, but would I be satisfied with the P.Q.?

I'm currently leaning towards taking the latter route, and then looking at plasma's in a couple of years time.

My problem is that I've no idea as to the ultimate P.Q. possible with RPTV's, with in-store sets being so poorly displayed.
    With this in mind, are there any forumites living in Scotland who own one of the latest Toshiba (WH36, PW23 etc. etc.) or Sony (KP44PX2/3) RPTV's and have gone through the 'full monty' with set-up...and would allow me to visit them and check out a properly calibrated set?

I'm based in Glasgow, but I'd be happy to travel in order to resolve my dilemma.

Thanks.....

2. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I live in Essex so not really practical but can confirm that my Sony KP44 PS2 has a far superior picture to my previous 36 CRT Philips Pixel Plus. Also recently set up a 28 JVC model and is far superior so not just because how bad the Philips is!!!!

3. dwoodys

dwoodys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a KP44PX3, excellent TV, superb picture and sound. Why would anyone want to spend 3½ grand on a plasma??

4. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RPTVs are excellent value right now, you get lots of picture for the money, i am sure the manufacturers doesn't make too much profit on todays RPTV being sold.

My Toshiba 57" costed me around €2000 from Germany, the model before mine which is basically the same, about €4000.

Due to the competetion on the market from cheaper plasmas and such they have lowered the RPTV prices so low there isn't even much margin anymore, it is so cheap it can be, excellent value if you have limited budget and want much for your money.

I saw the Sony KP-51PX3 before i bought the Toshiba 57" and i must say the Sony delivered very good pictures, equal to the Toshiba, however the Sony lacks component inputs which was the main factor i decided to go for the Toshiba instead and it was a bit larger.

The Sony got auto-convergence which i am told works very good, Toshiba doesn't have auto-convergence, the Toshiba need a more DIY person to perform it's best.

If i was choosing today once again, i would go for the Toshiba, either 51WH36P or 57WH36P and second place the Sony 51PX3.

5. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Sony KP44PX3 from Currys in Braehead which I got price matched from the £1399 that they have it for to £1100 that Robert Whyte have it for ( then a further 10% of the difference which is another 30 which is their policy). I think the level of after sales service will be better from Currys as Robert Whyte want you to pay an extra £25 per engineer visit should things go wrong, Currys however offer in home service.

I took my DVD player into the store and set it up on the TV and then spent time playing with all the settings using a THX setup disk. They played my DVDs throught it using my high quality scart cable . I was very impressed with the picture quality. Having had 2 Toshiba 42WH36s which, though had good picture quality, had terrible convergence issues and 1 Samsung 42 RPTV which was basically just crap the Sony was a welcome relief.

The only one thing I thought is a bit odd is one of the 100Hz settings which is called Advanced Digital Motion gives a weird effect to the picture, it's almost like the picture is speeded up very slightly. It's weird and difficult to point your finger at but it doesn't look just right. But I have found the other mode to give the same image quality without this effect.

The sound quality is 1st class though I guess most people with a screen this size, myself included, will use an external sound system.

As far as I have experienced with RPTVs this one is one of the best I have seen so far and I enjoy having it which is something I can't say about the previous ones.