1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling Ramius

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by philmate, Jan 21, 2002.

1. philmate

philmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Ramius,

I visisted the website and took a look at the speakers your interested in and then I remembered something I read at SMR Home Theatre. I do not know how to create a link but go their website, go to Advice to a friend, paragraph 7, written by JOHN R POTIS JR in 1995. It mentions... do not buy a speaker with a tweeter between two small bass/midrange units..., he says small but how small? even though at the Wilmslow website they were given a very desirable review. By the way if you noticed they use a lot of the same units as Ivan does. I do apologise if this may put a doubt in your head but I thought I'd mention it before you made a purchase.

Philmate.
    Phil.:blush:

2. Ramius

Ramius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Cheers for the heads-up Phil. :)

It's also one of my concerns. I believe your talking about the D'Appolito configuration (MTM). They have poor off axis response when laid on their sides. However you do see a lot of DIYers using them like this. I'm investigating this further.

I'm very interested in the IPL kits, the M2s and the AVRC2. I'm wondering how timbre matched they are. The kits use different models of the Morel drivers and the enclosures are very different, sealed/ported. I'm going to contact Mr IPL.

Thanks again.
    Boris

3. lidders

lidders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am interested in the SW2 sub by IPL have you any knowledge of how this performs? the spec sounds very good.

4. Ramius

Ramius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    lidders

Phil (and others) can answer that better than I, as I've never made the IPL sub. I've never heard anyone complain about it though.

However if you're interested in a DIY sub I would also look into the other options.
    If you've room for a larger enclosure consider a Shiva or Tempest from Adire Audio. Read Adires site. Have a look at the Shiva and Tempest application papers on there.
    You'll end up with more extension and more output.

Cheers
    Boris

5. philmate

philmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ramius,

Ivan also has AVR2's, the only difference is the tweeter. I know you wanted tonal balance but how different it would sound, only Ivan can tell you. Same size enclosure and is front ported. I was very tempted to go this route but the lady of the house said 'no' but I could have floorstanders as R/L, strange but there you go, so I had to compromise but am very pleased with result.

The sub is excellent, flexable, plenty of slam and goes low and loud enough for me, probably sound/feel different in different rooms as most subs would do.If you want a small enclosure then I'd say go for it, but if not I'd go the same route as Ramius suggests. At the of the day you'll have a superb sub, money in your pocket and can proudly say to yourself 'I built that'. On another post someone done a side by side test with a Storm II OR III and for A/V said it was just as good.

Philmate.
    Phil.:D

6. Ramius

Ramius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Yeah Phil, that's what Ivan suggested.

I spoke to a guy at Wilmslow, he said the Geminis have no off axis problems as centre speakers, of course he would. :rolleyes:
    That goes against everything I have read. :)

Cheers
    Boris