• Watch our Live Stream podcast now. This week we interview Chris Mullins from Sony Professional about the latest native Sony 4K projectors and we discuss the best Hi-Fi products of the year. Join us and ask the team questions

Calling PV500 owners - is it better?

M

marc777

I've got a 36" CRT Toshiba and want a bigger TV.

Never been so indecisive in my life about anything - PV500 or stay put until HD is here?

Why? Cos the pictures in the stores for SKY (comet, dixons etc) show the PV500 with cr*p pictures. I know they tell you its the ariel etc but I am really worried. This is alot of money

So, a question to PV500 owners - when you get them home are you delighted with the PQ compared to your old CRT? I mean, really delighted

Marc

badkarma

marc777 said:
when you get them home are you delighted with the PQ compared to your old CRT? I mean, really delighted
Yes, delighted, really :smashin: I was the same mate, took weeks to take the plunge, glad I did though. Come on in the waters lovely :thumbsup:

M

marc777

Yes, delighted, really I was the same mate, took weeks to take the plunge, glad I did though. Come on in the waters lovely
Great start. Thanks for that.

Any more ?

dancuprar

Standard Member
When the bloke from sky came round to upgrade me to sky + the other week he told me that my PV500 was the best picture he had seen out of all the plasmas he has set sky up on.

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
The PV500 is one of the best plasmas I've seen. When displaying HD material it looks really nice. SD via the internal Freeview is less pleasant - though can be improved by using the MPEG filter option, and also by watching from further away (!)

tscotsman

yep pv500 very good with pretty much all sources. Yes Sky is very good, freeview is not bad at all depending on which channel of course. HD and DVD through component with Progressive scan is excellent.

stewada

Standard Member
I have to agree. Sky looks damn good considering the SD digital signal. Obviously it depends on the channel you're watching but I am well impressed with sport which normally looks terrible on panels this big (mine's a 42). Particularly impressive are DVD's via component/progressive scan which look absolutely stunning.

One of the funniest moments recently was when a friend of mine plugged his video camera into the composite in to show us a video that he was working on (he's doing a documentary). He almost fell over when he saw the quality.And that was just plugged in via composite!

All in all a fantastic purchase.

Haven't been able to test HD yet but considering the quality of DVDs I'm wondering whether I'll be able to tell the difference between them and HD (!). We'll see. I hope it blows me away.

C

crank

:D Yes go get one right now you can't be less than impressed with the pv500 :rotfl: and what a purchase for your first plasma :eek: you could only do worse :lesson: and remember after the run in period the picture actually improves :) It is a big purchase but since buying mine i have'nt thought of the money i paid for it once :rolleyes: just sat back and "ENJOOOOOOYD!" my precious:D

tscotsman

Just for your reference stewada, HD is a massive leap in picture quality. I watched a documentary called 'The Living Sea' and it was only in 720p and it seriously made the plasma look like a window, underwater scenes were simply georgeous.

I already have alot of films in HD, only problem now is that im running out of hard drive space.

L

Lionheart

And to throw in my 2 pennies...I wouldnt go back to CRT if you gave me a free one that was 50"....I love my 42pv500.....the picture is gorgeous across the board from my telewest cable to my upscaling s97 dvd player via HDMI.....and as an added bonus the sound from the pv500s is brilliant...nice and powerful....so much so that my wife moans about it lol

kumamoto

Banned
I am ever so glad i bought the pv500. I don't even realise i am watching a plasma as the picture is soo good with sky and even better with dvd (hdmi).

Its simply superb. Get one!!

O

oscarmadfish

i will be joining you marc its a big thumbs up for the pv500 :smashin:
i am gonna go for the 37 inch model because i only sit about 10 to 12 ft from the screen :cool:
i think 37 will look better than the 42 at this distance :confused:
the big question is do i get it next week for 2 grand or play the waiting game

ColdKilla

You wont be disappointed - Over the moon with mine - Just ignore any display you see in store as it doesn't do the panel justice AT ALL!

Breathtaking picture quality, don't scrimp on leads tho either :)

CK

O

oscarmadfish

cmon someone make a prediction :lease:
will the price drop dramaticaly before the jan sales or not :rolleyes:
i have a couple of grand now but i would hate to see it drop 500 after i bought it :oops: :eek: :mad: :(

M

marc777

You read my mind. I'm struggling with the decision.
From what I've read demand is too high and too many retailers are out of stock for there to be a significant fall in price.

Marc

andypearce

I was wary of changing from my 36" Panny CRT and was waiting until I found a picture that was as good as it. The PV500 is as good as it and better for things like the Xbox thru Hi-def and DVD through component. As long as you don't sit too close then Sky is as good too. Well worth the plunge IMO.

O

orange66

I was watching LOST on E4, which on freeview is not a strong signal. First I watched it on my 28" trinitron Sony, and there were faint vertical stripes across the screen, from poor signal. But switching over to the Panny 42 PV500, the picture lept in quality, the bands were banished.

Also, take the viewing distance figures with a pinch of salt. They are similar to government stopping distances printed in the highway code. They were published when technology was a lot more crap than it is today. I can watch my 42 inch Panny from 8 feet and it looks stunning. :)

C

crank

oscarmadfish said:
cmon someone make a prediction :lease:
will the price drop dramaticaly before the jan sales or not :rolleyes:
i have a couple of grand now but i would hate to see it drop 500 after i bought it :oops: :eek: :mad: :(
:D Okay Dokey i'll be daring enough to say there will be a reduction in the price after christmas as everthing gets reduced in the holiday season sales :rolleyes: But don't expect a reduction of £500.00 cos i can't see that happening to be honest :rotfl: Simply because there is still so much interest and demand for the pv500,you are lucky if you can get one straight away these days and usually have to pre-order......You only usually see such big reductions when a model is on its last legs and is struggling to be shifted from the shelves....and that just is'nt happening with the pv500 :rotfl: Panasonc are still struggling to keep up with the demand :( so exspect panasonic to milk the 500 for a little longer yet :thumbsdow

A

Atarus

I have repeatedly viewed the panasonic HD demo both in my local dealers and at John Lewis. The demo is run from some sort of custom panasonic hard drive. The pictures look as though they were shot in Bavaria or Switzerland. Superb quality. I finally bought a PV500 and have been delighted with it and thats only on freeview ( needs a good broadcast source though )

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Atarus said:
I have repeatedly viewed the panasonic HD demo both in my local dealers and at John Lewis. The demo is run from some sort of custom panasonic hard drive. The pictures look as though they were shot in Bavaria or Switzerland. Superb quality. I finally bought a PV500 and have been delighted with it and thats only on freeview ( needs a good broadcast source though )
I think the Panasonic demo is a regular Japanese set-top box (designed for them to tune their HD DTT/DSat services) which has a Firewire input/output. The Firewire connection is used to connect to an IOData Firewire hard-drive that looks, to the set top box, as if it is a D-VHS VCR. This hard-drive has the loop recorded onto it.

From memory it was 1080i - understandable as all Japanese HD services are 1080i.

The material is VERY flattering though - clean, noise-free, saturated, slow-moving etc.

Kevo

Does anyone know where I can download/obtain the 'Pan Bavaria HD Demo' clip.
An assistant at Powerhouse said that you could download it from Pan's web page, but I can't find it.

jet_andy

Just adding another thumbs up for the PV500. I watch Sky and DVD through RGB scart and it's great. And a 42" from 10-12 feet is great!

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews

Latest News

Sky agrees movie deal with Entertainment One
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett