Calling Jeff (RTFM) RE : HT300Link, Pioneer 868

V

VUDSM

Hi Jeff,

I've had a HT300Link since November (has since been updated by Sim2 in Italy) and recently bought a Pioneer DV-S969AVi with HDMI (Australian version of Pioneer 868).

I'm running the unit via HDMI and the image is great. However, I've seen your comments regarding this combination and was wondering whether you could share some of your settings. For example, are you using 1080i or 720P, is the HDMI setting on direct, natural, user etc.

Any other help or thoughts would be appreciated in terms of getting a reference point.

PS I have used AVIA and DVE to calibrate black level and contrast etc.

Thanks

Derek
Adelaide, South Australia

Derek,
Try posting in the sim2 forum, as usually one of team from sim2 uk will
reply, offering some tried and tested results...good luck.......
By the way, this is my first reply/post so apoligies for any errors.

My mistake!
If would have helped had I first noticed that you were in the sim forum.

Hi Derek,

Welcome to the avforums, especially this Sim2 area.
I hope you find it useful and enlightening.

I have my demo 300 Link set to Pixel to Pixel in the aspect ratio settings and the Pioneer set to 1280x720.
This way the Link is receiving a HDMI signal at its native resolution with no scaling taking place.
Avia is still my favourite test disc for setting up the Sim2 units.
The needle pulses are perfect for setting black level and white level.
The Widescreen Enhanced Resolution chart can tell you a lot about the incoming signal and the way the projector handles it.
I find this chart very good for setting the sharpness ( and filter with analogue signals )
Current settings using HDMI are:

Brightness: 48
Contrast: 63
Sharpness: 5
Gamma: Film
Colour Temp: User
Software version: 2.22.08

PIoneer settings:

HDMI Colour Adjust: Standard
HDMI detail: Mid position
Pure Cinema: On ( film ) Off ( Video )
All other settings: Mid position

Hope this helps

Happy viewing

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

I'm on software version 2.26.01 with my Link. My settings on the Link are similar :

Brightness : 44
Contrast : 66
Sharpness : 1 (I might look at this again given your setting)
Gamma : Film
Color Temp : Medium

My room is completely light controlled. With the Sim2 on but with no source I cannot see my hand in front of my face!

With the Pioneer outputting 720P (this is what I am using as well), what is the difference between "pixel to pixel" and using say the "anamorphic" ratio. Aren't they both addressing the native resolution of the projector?

I must admit to being a bit confused on this issue.

Also, when I try to output 576i with HDMI (just to see what it looks like) I'm getting a weird distorted picture. Can you get this to work? I'm also seeing what I guess is CUE at 720P on red writing, but through component in interlaced mode it's not there (I assume DCDI from the HT300 Link fixes it). Any thoughts on this.

Regards

Derek

Originally posted by VUDSM

With the Pioneer outputting 720P (this is what I am using as well), what is the difference between "pixel to pixel" and using say the "anamorphic" ratio. Aren't they both addressing the native resolution of the projector?

If the resolution of the source (let's call it 'SR') and the resolution of the panel (= 'PR') are the same, Anamophic and Pixel To Pixel aspect ratio give you the same result.

If SR and PR are different, the format above work in different ways.

Hope this helps.

Bye

I guess is CUE at 720P on red writing, but through component in interlaced mode it's not there (I assume DCDI from the HT300 Link fixes it). Any thoughts on this. [/B]

Thats right, your spot on

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments. The advantage of using a different aspect ratio to "pixel to pixel" (the Sim2 has three custom aspect ratio's which allow you to adjust both H and V : great feature this) is that you can make small adjustments to ensure image is right to the edge of the screen on all DVD's while still maintaining aspect.

As for the CUE, this is a bit annoying ( I've always had DVD players with DCDI with my projector's) but not the end of the world as the other attributes of the Pioneer more than compensate. Nevertheless, why Pioneer have not been able to fix this after all these years of having CUE in their players is a bit of a mystery.

Gandley,

My understanding is that the HT300 Xtra's shipping now or in the near future will have HDMI.

Regards

Derek

Ahhh thanks for that info, i like the look of the image of the SIM2 pjs but i have been realy tempted to go with the marantz S3,
but the 300 extra with HDMI would be ideal, if not perfect.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom