1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling Jamo DVR-50 owners

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by quattro, Aug 7, 2004.

1. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Recently installed this unit along with the A325 speakers and was very impressed ( so were nextdoor :rolleyes: ) but tonight i noticed after watching a DVD a background noise, sounds like a fan running and is quite annoying. Havent noticed it b4 tonight but this is the first time I've watched a DVD on it, the noise is there whether it a DVD or TV your watching. Is this normal or is it due to the exstreme hot weather we're having ? :lease:
    Cheers
    Quattro

2. ngeorge

ngeorge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same system as you but have not noticed any fan noise yet. Will keep an ear out for it though! My concern is that my DVDs seem to come out of the player hot! Otherwise I am very pleased with the system.

3. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,333
    I didnt think the Jamo even had a fan. At least mine dosent seem to spin up.

Sometimes it gets a bit warm, especially when the PS2 which sits on top is running its sound thru the Jamo as well. But mostly it is very quiet - the unit, not the output! :devil:

4. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The Jamo system sytsem does have a cooling fan which must be on a thermastat of some sort IMO, My room in which the unit sits has the sun on it all through the day and on very hot days and after using the system for long periods a fan does kick in.
    But like i said it has to be very hot.

5. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    On mine if you leave it on standby for a few hours the fan comes on!

6. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    But is it noticabley loud?
    Mines now being replaced on Monday, hopefully the new one won't be so loud.
    Other than this the unit is great and sounds awsome IMO :thumbsup:
    Quattro

7. BogRat

BogRat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought the DVR 50, which is stunning. However, the tray sounds rattly and very cheap when loading and unloading. Is this normal, or have I got a duff set?

8. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Mines the same, and do have to agree with you that it sounds cheap but i think this is down to the flap and not the actuall tray :rolleyes:
    Other than this and my noisy fan it performs well IMO

9. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It is noticable when it's on standby, but when it's playing something it's ok.

10. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Yes it does make a wirring noise.
    Is it a problem, well in quiet moments of a film it IS noticeable, but less so than a projector anyway.
    The more worrying thing is that the newest firmware (2.8.7) has actually got Worse /grainier pq than the 2.8.5 firmawre.
    I think I might change back at some point.

11. Lefreck

Lefreck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine also has the fan noise, but what's more, it also has a very distractive noise with some of my discs :confused: ... I already thought of contacting the reseller from whom I bought it (ebay).

12. Thewisp

Thewisp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got to say (touch wood) not experienced any of the apparent problems with my system (4 months old).

There is a fan noise when a DVD is playing but nothing compared to my PC and never anything at all when on standby. Incidentally, the player is situated in a bay window and gets the full whack of sunlight and has not given me anything but superb performance.

Cheers

13. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Can anyone using progressive help me on something...

Does the Jamo auto switch between NTSC and PAL - or does this need to be changed each time you watch something from a different region.

With my current player I just turn on and watch without any fiddling, but the guy who demo'd it to me says there is no auto setting and you have to manually change between NTSC and PAL each time.

?

14. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    They normally only buzz if there's something wrong with them. If they are not perfectly flat it can happen, or if there is a sticker on them (rental dvd).

15. stevemacirl

stevemacirl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just returned my fourth Jamo DVR50 package to the retailer! I seem to have had all the issues posted here and more. Fan noise, powering down for no apparent reason, remote doing strange things, tray rattle during playback, crackling speakers, cross hatching on the picture in component progressive mode... and on, and on. I cannot say that the Jamo kit is crap as so many of you have had good to great opinions of it, but my experience has been extremely bad.

I returned the kit to the retailer last week and told him to keep it, I'm finished with Jamo. I think under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, it would be unreasonable to expect me to accept another repair or replacement so I will be changing over to (most likely) the Denon THD 550SD package. Anyone got any good or bad things to say about this kit?

Steve

16. net_team1

net_team1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a shame, I have had my Jamo DVR50 for a year now, never given me any trouble, seems quite a few people have had problems with them, are there any out there like me who haven't had problems, or am I just lucky?

17. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Looks like your lucky!

18. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Mine seems ok

19. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,333
    Mines been fine, really had very few problems, and almost none in the last 6 months. So i guess its just poor quality control or reliability? I would want more connectors for my next system, as i've found it limited in that regard, and didnt quite realise how that would effect my setup.

20. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'm still having issues with the fan noise, although I've narrowed it down to the fact that if the unit is muted there is no fan noise atal all day, only when sound is passed through the onboard 5.1 speaker system do i have the issue of fan noise.
    I would like to know how many are useing the onboard sound or are using an amp as i think by using an amp this issue will be rectified at an extra cost of a decent amp.
    As i'm tempted to buy an amp anyway i think this is the route i'll be taking in the near future and hope it cures the problkem.
    I also see AV sales have stopped selling this DVD possibly for this issue i asume.

Jonah

21. Sharpen

Sharpen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the DVR50 and had a few niggles but the system overall is excellent. My first unit had fan trouble, the internal amps sit under a large common heatsink, a thermocouple attached to the heatsink switches the fan on when needed; i noticed that the amplifiers were cutting out and causing crackling after the unit had been on for a while. having inspected the main board for dry joints(none found) i found the thermocouple had a broken leg- hence no cooling. I had the whole unit replaced and everything has been ok. there are still a couple of firmware bugs:
    1. the unit switches off after 15minutes (see earlier post) only if you open and shut the tray with no disc in (say if you're listening to the tuner or tv, open and close the tray and the system is looking for a dvd, after 15 mins it gives up and powers down- just power it back up again and it will behave normally)
    2. slight crackle when switching inputs- you just live with it, no real biggy

the only trouble i'm having now is programming my new harmony 885 to send a double 'video input' ir command to select 'AUX' input but thats another story.