1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling everyone with a Sony DX50

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Frankie_D, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Frankie_D

Frankie_D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everyone,

I was just wondering whether the people who own a DX50 are satisfied and can give any opinions on it, this is my final choice for a TV after much serching through ths forum, but ive searched the archives and i can't find much about it, most people have a DX150 but i guess the people with those can also comment as DRC is the only major difference, so should i spend the extra on that? Thanks in advance

Frankie

2. Frankie_D

Frankie_D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone?

3. guires

guires

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone please!!!!

I'm in the same boat as Frankie - I'd like some feedback regarding the DX50.

I went to town today, having read reviews and SONY product specs, with the intention of buying a DX150 (price £1195 - expensive maybe but it will be delivered with a no questions asked 5yr guarantee. Have not been able to find a better deal on the net which would include such a guarantee - has anyone else?). I did not buy a DX150 after seeing the deal on offer in the same store for a DX50.

£895 for a DX50 with a Sony DVD (330) and VCR (730).

The DX150 was demonstrated and was impressive but (surprise, surprise) the DX50 was not available for demo so I'm looking for any information regarding the DX50, it's performance and any other issues I should be aware of to help me make my decision.

Is the DX150 really worth the extra £300 (not to mention the extra hardware!)?

Cheers

Dave

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have a 4 year old DX20 and that is good

5. Frankie_D

Frankie_D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi guires you can get that package seperately from unbeatable.co.uk for £825 if that helps.
    Thanks MartinImber at least that shows they are well made and dont conk out after the first year.
    So anyone else with a more recent model DX40 even as that is the same apart from the design.

6. guires

guires

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will I get the same sort of guarantee (5 years on the TV, 2 on VCR and DVD) with 'unbeatable' that I'll get on the High Street though?

I'm still interested in hearing from people (whether owners or not) with any experience of this set. I have not been able to find a review of this set on the net so even a link to such a review would be appreciated. (If, as Frankie suggests, the DX50 is the same as a DX40 except for the styling is it worth reading reviews of that model?)

I'm also interested to know (briefly!) what the rub is between 50Hz and 100Hz?
    I appreciate from reading other threads on this forum that each 'system' has it's devotees but what was the original thinking behind the 100Hz?
    The general concensus from friends who've bought new tv's in the last year or so is that whatever I buy should be 100Hz. However, having read threads on this forum and having spoken to various sales people (some apparently knowledgeable, others obviously not!!) it would appear that the 50Hz sets are still more than capable of holding their own against 100Hz sets.

Bearing in mind that the set will be used mostly for digital terrestrial tv viewing and the (very) occasional DVD (my current dvd 'library' consists of a moody copy of Finding Nemo!!) then would I be right in thinking that this 50Hz set will do a good job?

Dave

7. Jamp

Jamp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recommended a 28" DX50 to my mum after some research on here and in mags, and it arrived just before Xmas from Empire Direct. £550 including delivery, with free Sony 330 dvd (which is out of stock so still not with us).

I'm impressed with it so far. Picture quality is perhaps not quite as good as my Panasonic 28" PS1, but there's very little in it. The detail is excellent, but colour representation doesn't seem quite as good as the Panasonic's. That's using my Tosh SD330 dvd with the same cable for a fair comparisson.

With the loft mounted aerial it can't get the digital signal (it says "Selected programme is not available" for some channels, or "... not tuned" for others. It will sometimes get the EPG data though), even though it's in direct line of site of the transmitter (well, if it could see through the roof!). I guess it needs to be wideband and/or out on the roof. Will get that sorted out in the next few days.

What I'm really impressed with is the sound quality, it really is excellent and gives the impression of surround sound very well, and that's with me being used to my own 5.1 setup.

Sorry mine isn't the most technical of replies! Any specific questions let me know, although I assume you're thinking of a 32" given the prices you're quoting.

Best of luck.

Ben

8. guires

guires

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Ben - the less technical the reply the better as fara as I'm concerned!!

Just remebered something else I was told by a salesman yesterday and wondered if anyone could comment as I was unable to test it out.

He reckoned that the only significant difference you might see between a 100hz and 50hz set would be a slight flicker when watching a dvd. He did go on to say that using decent interconnects (as opposed to cheap cables from Poundland!!) would generally fix this though. Is this the case?

Regards

Dave

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    50Hz is purer - I prefer 50Hz, my parents have a KV28DS60 and that has slight distortions in letters, and tends to get a bit plastic sometimes.

I have seen the DX40/50 range and it still has the same kind of purity my DX20 has

10. Jamp

Jamp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll pass on what knowledge I have of 100Hz technology, mainly picked up from reading on here. A better reply than mine will be along any minute I'm sure..!

TV signals refresh at 50Hz, so most TVs screens do too. Some people see this as the picture flickering. If you're handy with your PC's graphics settings, turn the refresh rate down, and you'll see the effect (though it's much more noticable on a monitor because you're so close to it). 100Hz TVs have some trickery to make them refresh twice as often. To my eyes, this makes the image look 'smoother', though I don't really notice the 50Hz flicker. There's a fair bit of debate if 100Hz is actually worthwhile, I think it's just a matter of taste. I'd go and see the DX50 and DX150 in a shop, and choose which you prefer. In my experience they're never set up well enough to give a fair comparisson in most big electrical stores, I expect a Sony Centre shop would be your best bet.

As for the interconnects, I don't think they'll make any difference to the flicker if you 'suffer' from it. However, it is worthwhile spending a bit extra on them if you're going for the sort of level kit you're talking about. Cheap scart cables aren't shielded adequately, so the signals in each wire can interfere with each other.

Have a look through some of the old threads on the forum for more info on 100Hz and interconnects.

Let us know how you get on.

Ben

11. Frankie_D

Frankie_D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thread sinking down a bit so *bump*

Also guires my purchase has been put back to april/may so if you get yours sooner could you share your comments with us.

Thanks
    Frankie

12. Frankie_D

Frankie_D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Guires have you got yours yet, any comments? and what has your instore research found out about it?

Also anyone else got a dx50 recently still a month off getting one

Thanks

13. vegaphil

vegaphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys
    i purchased a 32DX50 and sent it back the picture was lacking bite and detail just not a good sony. ive now got a 28fx68 picture is first class plain 100hz and its top notch i think you can go over the top on picture processing ie 100hz plus drc etc.
    cheers
    :clap:

14. guires

guires

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Frankie

Got my 32DX50 on Tuesday (from JL - pricematch with Total Digital) and initial impressions are excellent. Pictures on Digital Terrestrial TV are superb and analogue pictures do not seem to be affected as much as previous set up (i.e. a separate tv and set top box) - although who cares since most of tv watching will be on Freeview anyway!

When I get some time I'm intending to have a look back through previous threads for any DX50 issues and check mine for similar problems but have not been able to do this yet.

Have not yet invested in a DVD - I'm waiting to get a DVDR - so cannot comment on it's DVD playback performance yet. (DVDR could be coming quicker than expected since VCR pictures are noticeably poor on the new 32" screen as opposed to old 24" Sony but DVDR market seeMs to be an even bigger nightmare than the TV one in terms of which format and/or manufacturer to go for!)

One thing which does disappoint slightly is the fact that although the tv has two tuners (one analogue and one digital) you cannot record from a Digital source and watch an analogue one simultaneously. Obviously I can record (on VCR) an analogue signal and watch a digital channel since the VCR itself has a tuner but not the other way round. I still have my Freeview box so could use this as a means of digital recording (as Martin Imber suggested in a previous thread) but I was hoping to ged rid of it to the bairns room so I didn't spend all my time watching cBeebies!!

I'll be in touch if I come across any problems.

15. Frankie_D

Frankie_D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the info guys, im in pretty much in the same boat as you guires and hopefully ill be betting a nice new dx50 next month.

Then ill also be looking for a dvdr i just wish someone would come out with one with a freeview receiver! the new sony line (gx300, hx10 etc) coming out in the next few months doesnt have freeview so i guess i might have to put up with the old tape for another year.

Then all i'll need is a good all in one cinema system which ive narrowed down to either the pioneer 990, jamo dvr50 and the sony sc8. So if a freeview dvdr doesnt come out soon ill be buying one of these before.

A few quetions for you guires, what is the sound like and did you have to get it out the box to getit through the front door?

Thanks
    Frank

16. guires

guires

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Frank

No it didn't have to come out of the box to get it in the house although I think the delivery blokes probably rapped their knuckles on the door as they carried it in!!

As for the sound quality, it's difficult for me to comment as it's such an improvement over what i had before - an 8 year old 24" Sony with a single speaker!.
    I don't tend to watch a lot of films with surround sound etc. and have not watched any since I got the DX50 earlier this week to test out it's audio performance.
    To be honest, audio performance was not a priority when I was looking for a tv and I realised early on in my quest that (generally) top quality audio performance is best served up by a separate system rather than paying the extra for a tv with better audio specs but which can probably be bettered with a decent surround sound system added on at a later date.
    If audio performance becomes an issue when I get into DVD's (and when the kids are old enough to be left alone in a room full of speakers!) then maybe I'll look at such a system.

17. bockster

bockster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guy's how are you going on with your dx50's? I got a 32" with a davsc5 from empire direct just before xmas, collected it, for £1058. sorry i mssed your posts, too busy playing with the telly! I'm pretty chuffed with it overall, i'm no expert mind, and even with a loft aerial can get digital 99% f the time, and when the weathers good analogue pic is not far off as good. My only issue is on dvd, left hand side of screen, when brightly coloured background (often blue) moves, the colour seems to seperate into short horizontal lines until movement stops!!??? I think Peter Kay live in Bolton is guilty! and others. Anyone else same problem? Fix ideas? I keep meaning to try the other dvd player i got free from empire to see if problem stays or goes. see ya, bockster

18. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Advice time

Sony IDTVs output RGB on Scart1 - occasionally there is cross talk, before watching a DVD put it on an untuned analogue channel (will be easy at switch off).

This cleans the picture up no end.

TV sound is fine for TV for films I have about £900 worth of speakers to use (bought over £20 years)

19. bockster

bockster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers mart, just tried the untuned channel lark but to no avail. got my other dvd from the loft, plugged, and played perfectly.bit of a relief that, wouldn't want to box up the tv if it came to that! rang suppliers who are going to send an engineer.

20. rjlawson

rjlawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    There's a great deal on the 32DX50 in the Sony Centres at the moment - £800 with £100 of Sony vouchers, and a free VCR & DVD player. I was looking at the DX150 (£200 more), and next to each other the 150 does seem to have a better picture. They were both tuned to The Hits, and the 150 didn't flicker over the text at the top whereas the 50 did. But the rest of the picture did look identical, and a lot better than my Schnider 28" Asda job.

I've got Sky+, but reckon it's worth getting a iDTV ('future-proof') & the Sony package really is tempting. Does anyone reckon it's worth paying the extra & loosing the DVD, VCR to get the 150? Don't need the DVD but it might go well in the bedroom (with a 14" TV I'll spend the vouchers on), and the VCR would be handy. Could always eBay the VCR/DVD! :)

Looking on the internet the best price seems to be around £700 (although BE Direct are a worrying £580... is that B-grade/import stock?) so the extras seem to make it worthwhile, plus the Sony Centre will deliver & install on a Saturday & I like buying local, in-case of any problems.

21. Alandw

Alandw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I had my KD-32DX150 two weeks now and am generally very
    very pleased with it. Picture quality overall is very good with excellent and natural looking colours. Pictures from the in-built
    digital tuner are noticeably better than those from the
    analogue tuner or external Freeview box. Picture on 100Hz
    DRC is rock steady, with no shimmering or shaking or
    flickering. Whites are good and pure.

Picture quality seems somewhat dependent on the quality
    of the broadcast material, -can at some times look
    stunning, with superp detail on faces and in scenes, but
    at others slightly noisy and artifacted, especially with
    badly shot and dark scenes and fast paced motion. (This
    noise can be reduced and eliminated using the noise
    filter, but at the expense of sharpness.) This noise is I
    think actually due to the weaknesses of the digital
    braodcast signals in this country and not produced by the
    DX150

Initially I thought the picture had trouble coping with
    black, (tended to end up a bit featurless) but now after
    a week of use and burn in, I have now completely changed
    my opinion and think it handles blacks very well.

DRC is pretty effective, but unfortunately I find the
    flicker on DRC50 (enhanced horizontal and vertical
    resolution at 50Hz) just a tad annoying. In darker scenes
    it is not visible but in bright scenes and when overlays
    are displayed on screen it is just noticeable.

DRC100 (enhanced horizontal resolution at 100Hz) is very
    good and flicker free but unfortunately not quite so
    detailed as DRC50, but again is an improvement on plain
    100Hz.

Sharpness is excellent but when set too high causes more
    noticable artifacting and noise. Text is generally well
    defined but has a very slight shaddowing to it.

Geometry looks spot-on with wide screen broadcast but
    there is a touch of bending visible on the vertical sides
    of 4:3 pictures.

As for wether or not the internal digital tuner is better
    than an external one, well I plugged my existing Freeview
    box (Dec 2000T) in via scart+RGB, and there is no
    contest. The internal tuner is IMO far superior with
    better colours and sharpness.

DRC MF seems to be applied to all inputs, and not just
    the digital tuner. i.e you can enhance video/DVD/Sky
    signals as well.

DVD playback very clear and noise free.

Sound is very good with lots of tweaks possible if you
    are an enthusiast.

Channel changing is quite pretty slow. Auto tuning
    produces a great long list of stations (TV and radio).
    You cannot seem to sort or order this list as you want.
    Rather you have to put channels into a category
    (favourites News etc). This means that to get to the
    channel you want, you have to open the EPG, open the
    category and then choose the station. All a bit long
    winded in my opinion. This may be speeded up with new
    firmware releases. I have not got the latest yet

EPG still only shows 'now and next'. I spoke to Sony and
    they say that the EPG is already capable of handling the
    7-day guide as soon as someone decides to broadcast it.

Overall I am very pleased that I decided to get this set,
    even though some of the magazine reviews I read were not
    exactly flattering about it. As I mostly watch Freeview
    these days it seemed to suit my needs the best, and I am glad I paid the extra to get the DRC MF enhancement.

Alan

:D

22. bockster

bockster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ref above, (channel sorting). if digital kit in dx150 is the same as my dx50, then it is possible to sort the channels as you like by manually tuning each channel one at a time to get bbc1 at position 1, bbc2 at position 2, etc. a little time consuming though!

23. Alandw

Alandw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah yes. Thanks for that tip. It seems your right. I hadn't realised that with manual tuning you could pick the channel you wanted from the multiplex.

At least now I can get rid of bid-up/price -drop/blank channels etc from the first 20 or so slots.

Also if you keep stations with the same channel number together then switching speed is much improved.

Cheers Alan

Just out of interest, the Top-Up TV web site says that CAM units for IDTV's will be available in May 2004!

24. rjlawson

rjlawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My 32DX50 turned up yesterday, and I'm certainly impressed with the TV. Got my Sky+ remote working very well (with code 0533), but I can't seem to find a function to go on the Sky key - previously it would send 8, which would turn the TV on & then the Sky SCART select would kick in. However now the TV turns on, tried to goto channel 8 (nowt there) and stays on the last channel, doesn't switch to Sky.

So I now have to go TV-Power-Sky, which is 3 whole presses! Any suggestions how I can get this down to just one?