1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling CYRUS owners!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Shockabuku, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi all,

My eyes & ears have been wandering again which can only mean one thing....time to upgrade! I'm currently running a HCPC, outputting analogue to a couple of Cyrus power amps (SmartPower fronts & QPower rears - no centre yet). I'm tempted to take the processing away from the PC & go for one of the new Cyrus AV8 units. Anyone have experience of the AV5/8 with Cyrus power amps & can share their experiences?

The other option would be to trade the power amps in against something like a Denon AV11, but I'd imagine the sound would be better with the Cyrus pre/power combo. Any theories on narrowing down the audition list would be great. I'm using Sonus Faber Concerto speakers at the front, with the SF Walls at the rear.

Cheers,

Mark.

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark,

Although I have only very briefly heard the AV8 being demoed, I can say that what I did hear sounded mighty impressive. It was driving monobloc Smart Powers (which means a REAL 110wpc level).

If it's of any assistance/relevance, I use a Cyrus 7 amp along with a Smart Power to bi-amp my two channel sysem and the sound is IMO cracking. Having read the Cyrus blurb and seen magazine previews for their new amp ranges, the AV8 and Cyrus 8 should be even better.

BTW, if you do go the Denon route, I would be more than interested in taking one Smart Power off your hands. I dare say I'd run to more than you'd get at trade in.

3. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Thanks for the reply juboy. One of the things I like about Cyrus kit is that it is so modular....I'd love to eventually have everything bi-amped as per your 2-channel system. I'll give you first dibs on the Smartpower if I go the integrated amp route....though the more I think about it, the more I reckon I should stick with Cyrus. Time to beg/steal/borrow a demo of an AV8 methinks.

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely.

I personally rate their stuff, especially the amplification side of things. My aim is to eventually have 4 smart powers running monobloc'd (one per driver!), each with a PSX-R. *drool*

I actually run a Denon amp myself for AV duties and although the AV11 is a great amp, I reckon the Cyrus route may well be your better option sound wise as you could always PSX them all as you go on and then end up with a truly awesome system.

5. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Now that'd be nice :D . What's your theory on the PSX-Rs? Worth the dosh? I've not had the opportunity to try one out.

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had them demoed to me and, personally, I thought they added more clarity and depth to the source component (CD player). I can only imagine a DVD player would benefit even more.

Next down the list in terms of advantages gained were preamps and integrated amps which did seem to gain a little more control and transparency.

To be honest though, when they were added to the Smart Power I couldn't really tell too much difference. I know they add about 5wpc and should improve the overall sound in theory, but it's probably not really worth £350 a pop. But, as with all these things, if you have the money and that 'It could be just that little bit better if...' feeling, why the hell not? :D

7. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    hehe...indeed...if money was no object then I'd have about 30 odd little Cyrus boxes cluttering up the room :D

Thanks for the advice. Still need to get a centre channel & would love to justify a couple of aPA7.5 amps....but that's getting really silly! :eek:

Have to say, I like the fact that Cyrus are starting to follow TAG's lead & are enabling owners to upgrade kit (eg ProLogicII upgrade on the AV5). Definitely the way forward.

8. icequake2000

icequake2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    is the new AV8 worth the money only having dd dts pl2

9. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Well, I'm looking to convert my (single) garage into a dedicated HC room & I don't think I'm gonna get much value out of anything over 5.1 in a small room like that. I've never been much happy with the stereo performance on the integrated a/v amps I've heard, and the Cyrus looks to be the best combination of excellent sound quality at a reasonable price. I'd love a TAG, but then you're looking at twice the price :(

10. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    IMO any higher 'spec' than 5.1 DD/DTS and PLII is, at the risk of creating a firestorm, useless junk. I will never need nor want 6.1 ES/EX or any of that other cr@p. I seriously doubt that most people have the space for a proper 6.1 or higher speaker arrangement.

The Cyrus AV8 seems like a real bargain when compared to say, the Arcam AV8 or the Tag AVR32. Great sound, everything you need, and nothing you don't (and I include video switching in that category too). The only slight downside on the Cyrus AV8 might be the lack of 5.1 inputs (for SACD or DVD-A) but then I'm a long way off getting a source for either of those formats so it wouldn't bother me.

Michael.

11. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    That's assuming it sounds as good. My experience with Cyrus is very limited, but I got the impression that the AV8 sounds rather thin and brittle compared to the likes of Tag and Arcam.

12. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    That's true of course. I haven't heard one but HiFiChoice seemed to think it was the dog's undercarriage (but they weren't comparing to anything else). Would love to see a comparative review of the AV8 and its Arcam, Tag and Naim peers.

Michael.

13. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I'm pretty sure there's going to be an upgrade available for the AV8 which will provide 5.1 analogue inputs. Dunno about cost though.

14. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'd like to see how they manage that (5.1 inputs)...there's barely enough room for all the connectors on the back panel of the AV8 as it is without having to add another 4 or 5 !

Michael.

15. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Ah, found it. Page 26 of latest What HiFI? mag....refers to an upcoming upgrade for the AV8 to provide 6 analogue inputs. Gonna cost £300 though, which is a bit nasty. Fair point on where they're going to put them though!

EDIT:

Hrmmm...think I read it wrong...they're talking about 6 channel "outputs". Bit confusing. Either they mean "inputs" or 6.1 EX / DTS 6.1 decoding. Phoned Cyrus & they're not saying a thing...although they were extremely pleased I brought the What HiFi article to their attention coz they haven't officially released any info like that apparently. Streuth :confused:

16. jkeble

jkeble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Was in a similar situation.

I did have the following :

denon avca10se ex amp
    cyrus 7 amp, running front speakers and all music sources.

now have a complete cyrus system of

dvd7
    av5
    fm7
    cyrus 7 only powering the rear speakers
    smartpower running front pair
    smartpower mono bloc for the centre speaker.

Sounds truly wonderful. I couldnt stop myself smiling during the light sabre fights at the end of star wars episode 2.

The denon was okay for surround but this has a much more focused feel to it. I think the major change is using 'proper' amplification.

Any film with a large scale score and this system blows the denon clean out of the water.

Also plenty of upgrade potential as well, and of course the whole look of the system, very minimalist.

17. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Cheers jkeble, nice system you've got there. Which speakers are you using? I think I'll definitely be going the Cyrus route (subject to demo)...but I still need to confirm whether there'll be a 6 x analogue upgrade available for the AV8 in the future as I'm keen to get into SACD/DVD-Audio at some point.