1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling Bibooo....

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Crocodile, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,470
    ....& other fountains of knowledge!

I have recently taken delivery of a Tosh 32ZP18Q & I would like to ensure that it is set up & calibrated to it's full potential rather than just within Tosh's near enough criteria. The only noticeable problems with the set are some convergance issues on the left hand side of the screen & excessive blurring (smearing?) with horizontal motion. So:

1) Whats the best calibration DVD & where do I get it?

2) What's the best starting point for brightness, contrast & sharpness?

3) How do I access the service menu?

4) Can anything be done to improve the smearing? I understand that compressed digital signals emphasize this & it is indeed far more noticeable on the Nokia terrestrial receiver than from an analogue signal but analogue's quite bad too.

And lastly, if this has all been covered a million times already please forgive me. Just point at the appropriate thread/web link (but I did look first, honest!).

2. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hello Crocodile,

It's nice to be known as a fountain of knowledge :blush:, unfortunately there are many members who have a different opinion of me.

In answer to your questions:

1. IMO, AVIA is the best calibration DVD available at the moment (which I purchased from Amazon.com). Compared to Video Essentials it is far more comprehensive, offering a gamut of test patterns to give your display device a good workout.
    VE is basic in its approach and may be more suited to a beginner; both VE and AVIA will calibrate your CRT to NTSC standards. There are other calibration DVDs out there, but I haven't used them, so I won't comment
    Alternatively (for PAL standard) you could use an appropriate THX optimizer test featured on such R2 DVDs as T2, Toy Story 2, Monsters Inc. etc.

2. The best starting point for a Toshiba TV is Picture Mode 3; this should have no artificial effects (SVM etc.) and give you the most natural picture.
    For a rough idea of contrast etc (using the 4 ZDs I have calibrated as an example):

Contrast 50 (+/- 5)
    Brightness 50 (+/-5)
    Colour 45 (+/-5)
    Tint -10 (+/-5)
    Sharpness -20 (+/-5)
    And all other picture "improvements" set to OFF (DNR etc.)

This isn't the ideal way to calibrate your TV as many factors come into consideration (RGB/Composite video feed, ambient room lighting, DVD player etc). However it will give you a (very) rough idea of what you should be aiming for.

3. This should tell you all you need to know about the Service Menu, however if you want to alter convergence you should have a look at the Designer Menu.
    I would advise taking great precaution when entering the Designer menu as you can do some serious damage. Convergence can take a lifetime to set properly, I suggest asking for a service engineer to call round and save you pulling all your hair out.

4. The excessive blurring/smearing could be related to the 100Hz processing or any extraneous digital effects being added to the picture. Try picture mode 3, and turn off any extra effects in the picture menu.

I hope I have been of some help. I'm sure other members will only be too happy to add any helpful advice (judging by the hundreds of members who answer my queries :rolleyes:).

3. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,470
    Bibooo,

Thanks for that. The TV's PAL but I'm a bit confused about your reference to THX, I thought that was a sound standard like DTS. Can you clarify please?

My convergence issue is similar to what you raised in another thread. Mine only really shows itself on BBCi's text service where the white text on the LH side of the screen has a red shadow. I fear that the involvement of an "engineer" may well rectify this problem at the expense of creating another elsewhere and, as we all know, the new problem will only show long after the engineer has disappeared.

I think before I start delving into the service/designer menus I'll get hold of the service manual. Shame it's only available on CD-ROM & is currently out of stock with Seme!

4. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Convergence problems cannot be rectified on direct view CRT's from within the Service or Designer menu's. Most, if not all TV's will have some degree of convergence error. If it's particularly bad, get the TV swapped. I remember it being bad on the 32ZP18 but thankfully it's not a noticable problem on my Loewe Aconda :).

5. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    crocodile,

THX optimizers are available on certain DVDs. There are sound tests to calibrate your speakers and amp, also video tests to calibrate your display device. The supposed outcome would be that after calibration your TV/amp/speakers would be optimized according to THX standards.

I won't go into too much detail, but DTS is a sound format like DD 5.1, whereas THX is a criteria for you amp/speakers etc to conform to.

As to whether you calibrate your TV to Pal or NTSC standards really depends on what you watch the majority of the time. As I watch a lot of NTSC material, I have calibrated it this way. However I have tried a Pal THX optimiser test and the results were about the same, I didn't have to alter anything.

Your convergence problem sounds very minimal, but if it bugs you that much I would ask a service engineer to have a look. I doubt that rectifying this problem would cause any side effects.

Obtaining a service manual would be a very good idea, you might want to alter geometry etc. in the future, and this would be a very helpful guide.

groundy,

According to the Toshiba service engineer I talked to (for about an hour), you can alter the convergence in the designer menu. Whether he would have to take the back off the TV and "play around" is something he didn't mention. I'm not sure what to make of your comment; perhaps there are other members on this forum who can confirm the truth?

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have taken delivery of a 32ZD26P, and going through the list of known faults, I have a slight slope at the top of the screen but this is not really noticeable, and a slights buzzing from the back of the set - I can live with these.

There is one issue which doesn't appear to be on the list of faults which I can only describe as a 'cross-hatch' (almost like a moire) effect on the left and right hand sides of the screen a couple of inches deep, the brightness is even throughout the picture but when you are looking you can definately see the effects. Also it seems to become more obvious when progressive scan is on. Is this the same as the 'shadows' at the sides of the screen as in the list of faults, or something different?

Darren

7. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    drewston,

The problem you describe does seem to be a "version" of the shadows at either side of the screen.

Do these effects look darker than the rest of the screen? Also which picture mode are you using (1,2 or3)? The artificial picture "improvements" offered by Mode 1 and 2 may cause the shadows to become more noticeable.

Although I have experienced these shadows on a number of ZDs, I never noticed any change when using the Progress Mode or pro scan from a DVD player.

The best/worst way to really show up these flaws is to watch a football match, as the camera pans left and right the shadows become very noticeable; the green grass of the pitch becomes discoloured at either side of the screen.

What sort of material have you been watching? Scenes featuring large areas of a single light colour (the sky scenes in Vanilla Sky and the snow in Ice Age) will really highlight this effect.

This problem varies from set to set, so if it's really bad I would suggest obtaining a replacement. However before you do, it might be worth making sure your picture settings are optimised.

Finally, some people have commented that after "running in" the set for a few weeks, the shadows start to become less obvious; I'm not sure that this is actually the case, it could be that the viewer becomes accustomed to the effect over a period of time.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bilbooo,

Thanks for the response

Not darker per se, the brightnest is even, it just looks like the pixels are bigger with a criss-cross pattern. I gathered from previous posts (probably yours!) that picture mode 1 and 2 are practically unusable, so I've been adjusting mode 3, however, it looks no different in any of the modes.

I'll have to test that when the next footy game is on.