1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all Yamaha AX640 owners

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by nobbydog, Nov 18, 2003.

Tags:
  1. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've just purchased and set up my AX640SE with my new surround system - however, I'm not entirely convinced I'm getting full DD5.1 or any 6.1 for that matter. Reason is that no matter what the source eg. playing a DVD with 5.1 DD, only the L & R indicators light up on the front panel of the receiver. I understand this is correct for the feed from the Sky box, via the L&R interconnects, but surely in DD5.1 (via a coaxial digital interconnect from the DVD player) all 7 indicators should be lit (6 sats's + SWFR). If not, why are they there, if so, am I doing something basic wrong in the setup menu's?

I've checked 6SPKRS is selected in the setup menu, and that all speakers are correctly connected. They all work fine in all modes, but the indicators don't respond.

Sorry if this all sounds a bit daft, but I've spent a lot of cash lately and want to be sure I'm getting the best out of the equipment and that I've set it up properly.

2. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    nobbydog,

Sorry I can't help with your setup issue, but I notice that you're using the 2005.2 package with the AX640. I have been considering this combination myself and would be interested in how you get on with it.

I was also wondering whether you tried any other amps with the eggs, and if so, what made you decide to go for the AX640. I've also been considering the Denon 1804 and Pioneer D812, but haven't actually listened to any of them yet.

Good luck with the setup - I hope you get it sorted soon. I'm sure when you do, you'll be extremely happy with your system!

Balders.

3. villaceltic

villaceltic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May sound daft but have you tried hitting the A & B speaker buttons so just A is displayed (or poss B depending on set up). I've an active 16mnth old who loves pushing all the buttons) Also just thought - have you reassigned the CD (which is the coaxial input on the back) to DVD?

Macca

4. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    villaceltic, the speaker setting is on 'A'. The digital coax. is, as you say, in the receiver input marked for cd as this appears to be the only input for a digital coax cable. I then have to hit 'cd' on the remote to hear the dvd soundtrack, but, as I said, only the L&R indicators light up. If you are saying that the cd input can be reassigned in one of the menu's to dvd instead I'll have a look and see if I can find it and change it to dvd as you suggest.

balders, I did demo the 640 & eggs before buying, choosing the 640 on the basis of price (£300 price-matched at Sevenoaks). The demo was superb, one of the main reasons for the choice (along with the HK DVD25) was to keep 'er-in-doors' happy with decent cd playback quality, which it certainly is.

5. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    have you checked the DVD player's setup? A few players are set to output 2ch through the co-ax by default. also make sure the disc you test the player is set to play 5.1 as well (almost all are) by default.

HTH

6. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like your DVD may not be outputting a digital signal. Have a look at the setup menu's on the DVD. Also, you can re-assign the coaxial input on the Amp for DVD input, How to do it will be in the instruction book somewhere.

7. pbo

pbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 630, but guess there is much similarity.

Is it as simple a mistake as having stereo selected in the amp settings, as this will down mix any multichannel input to stereo.

make sure you have dts/dolby selected (on the amp).

Otherwise check outputs from DVD as suggested by others here.

Pete

8. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I've not read through the subsequent posts, but I have an AX640SE. Unfortunately I haven't got the right length cables for my Sky+ and DVD player, but I do play X-box Live through it (and it definately is in 5.1). I'm pretty sure only the L and the R icons are lit up on my amp though. If I remember I will double check and post.

9. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks all for the helpful comments, I think 'The Dog' has now cracked it!
    I looked into the setup of my DVD player and, sure enough, there was an option to change the digital output setting. All I needed to do was to convert it to send a DD output - however, sounds obvious but the setting for this was called 'other'!!!!! Anyway, once 'other' was selected all the indicators on the amp lit up light a christmas tree (well, almost) and DD was in full swing.
    SansSouci, if you are only getting left and right lighting up on the amp then, from my experience here, you are only getting a stereo feed being converted into surround as opposed to the real DD.

10. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nobbydog,
    Glad to hear it's sorted. What do you think of your set up now? I refer back up to Balder's post near the top of this thread. I'd be interested in your thoughts there as well.
    J

11. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Rainbow6
    I'm very happy with the setup. If you're particularly interested to know about the audio side of things the 640 & eggs work a treat. I must say that when I was only getting enhanced stereo (at the top of the post) through the system in 6.1 I was still very impressed. Now I've cracked the DD surround it really is 'the Dogs' if you know what I mean. I am especially pleased I opted for 6.1 as this really does fill in the rear surround above the sofa.
    100% happy. I must admit I did not demo any other amp/receiver/speaker combinations as looks/price/reviews really steered towards the set up, and a demo at Sevenoaks convinced me I was getting value for money.
    Good luck.

12. martinfa

martinfa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0