Calling all Tosh RDXS32 or RDXS34 owners

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sprint blue, May 27, 2005.

1. sprint blue

sprint blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Very nice machines.....................but trying to fathom out how to work it can be a right pain in the proverbial.

Am trying to record a Sky channel (selecting Sat Cont as instructed) but the thing just wants to record the channel that you're on rather the channel that you want.

Anyone got any suggestions. :lease:

2. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming that you've connected your system as per the manual then the recording process could not be easier.

If you want to record a Sky channel and your Sky scart is plugged into AV2, then ensure that AV2 is indicated on the recorder display; if not toggle through using the "input selector" on the remote to AV2 and leave it there. Then you hit the record button. For timed recording you go into the record menu, enter a new event, press sat cont and the sky channel number and the times etc. The machine will then change your channel and record the show. Have you ensured that your IR blaster is setup and working properly? If these processes don't work, then look to your physical setup.

3. AlbaMeccanica

AlbaMeccanica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. sprint blue

sprint blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, Sinclair.

I've checked and re-checked the physical set-up and everything would appear to be as instructed in the manual.

The thing records fine, but not the channel I want. For example, say I have programmed it to record Sky Sports, but am watching BBC1, then it will record BBC1.

5. AlbaMeccanica

AlbaMeccanica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say we have the same problem, then... :rolleyes:

6. sprint blue

sprint blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Alba,

Am I right in thinking that your problem is using the remote control to control both the digibox and the recorder.

I am not too bothered on this point, although I must admit I did try to ascertain as to whether this function worked.............but it didn't............at least not yet......but I'll read the instructions again on this matter.

My issue is that it doesn't record the programme which is programmed into the timer, under timer programming menu, but the programme you are watching instead...........ggrrrrr. :mad:

7. sprint blue

sprint blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, I must have mis-read your thread. :oops:

Is there something in basic set-up that we have missed then.

I have my AV1 output as RGB, AV2 input as video, Set top box setting as AV2 and brand type 1441 (sky digital).

Should we be using one of the Pace codes. :confused:

What are your settings and should we be amending any of the settings via the settings menu on the digibox.

Thanks.

8. knotpc

knotpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    How are you watching BBC1?
    If you are watching it from the Sat Box or DVD recorder tuner you not be able to record Sky Sports at the same time. To do this you can either watch BBC1 via normal aerial on your TV or have an additional SAT box or Freeview box etc.or maybe even SKYPLUS. :beer:

9. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    A few things...

If you're using a standard Sky box (not Sky+), after positioning the IR transmitter that came with the Tosh. near the Sky box, go into the setup menu and then the final submenu (far-right) select Set top box setting, then pick Brand type and use the number 0326.

Now come out of the setup menu and make sure you're watching a Sky channel through your DVD recorder. Press SAT.CONT. on your remote control, then press the up and down CHANNEL button on the top-right of your remote control. Did the Sky channel change? If no, then keep repositioning the IR transmitter until it does change channels reliably. The best position I've found is on top of the Sky box, overhanging the edge of the box directly above the LED IR indicator on the STB. If it does change channels reliably, then you've set up your remote control correctly and when setting a timed recording, you should press SAT.CONT., the AV2 indicator will change to an S, type in the Sky channel number on your remote control (under the flap). So if you were recording BBC1, then the timed recording line should read something like:

S 101 5/28(Sa) 13 00 13 30 HDD MN 9.2 D/M1.

Shortly before the timed recording starts the Tosh will send the channel numbers to the Sky box via IR transmitter. Usually when it doesn't work it's because the transmitter bit has been moved slightly from what was a reliable position.

10. AlbaMeccanica

AlbaMeccanica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried all of them: no way. :rolleyes:

Two things are different in my settings: I use an RGB input from the Digibox (you should use that, too :) ) and my brand type is 1536 (also SkyDigital: I guess that's because I have the RDXS34 while you have the RDXS32). There's nothing to be set on the Digibox to change the situation, but we could use the brand type suggested by tobyjuggler. Try that and tell me: right now I can't do it because my recorder is dead... :(

11. AlbaMeccanica

AlbaMeccanica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With this one also: no way... Just like the one I used before, it controls the Digibox but is too fast sending digit keycodes for my receiver. :(

12. sprint blue

sprint blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your input, guys.

Four things.............

@ Knotpc............the penny has dropped. I was mistakenly
    under the impression that you could watch Sky Sports and record Sky Movies at the same time, just as you could tape BBC1 and watch C4 with a VCR. :oops:

@ Tobyjuggler.............your instructions were spot on. I can now operate the digibox from the Tosh DVD remote control and the timer works as well. Thanks for your help, it was much appreciated. :thumbsup:

@ anyone who knows the answer to this..............how does the timer operation deal with Freeview. Can you watch BBC1 and record ITV like analogue telly or is it a similar story to Sky Digital. :lease:

@ Alba.................I hope you get your problems rectified with any unnecessary grief. By the way, I've got a 34, similar to your own, and a bog standard Sky digibox and Toby's brand code worked first time.

13. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    The recorder has an analogue tuner (like a VCR). So, it can record from an analogue channel (1-5) using its internal tumer while you watch either Sky or Freeview. Both Sky and Freeview would come from an external tuner, connected to the AV2 input. So in this way Freeview and Sky are the same. If you wanted to watch one Freeview channel while recording another, you'd need 2 Freeview boxes.

Mark