1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all Techs!!! Help with TV signal and DVD player - Moving from UK to Denmark

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Mo_UK_DK, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Mo_UK_DK

Mo_UK_DK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello People,

I'm in need of some help pretty urgently. I have a Goodmans 206NS TV which was brought in the UK. I would like to take it over to Denmark with me when I move there to study next month.

Could someone please tell me if my TV would work over in Denmark.

I found this site:

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Contrib/WorldTV/broadcast.html#country

If you take a look at the sites the only difference I can see is that Denmark uses PAL-B and the UK uses PAL-I.

PAL-B which is used in Denmark has 25 frames, 625 scan lines, uses the VHF Frequency Band, +5.5Mhz Sound Offset, a Negative VIsion Modulation and it is "In Use."

PAL-I which is used in the UK also has 25 frames, 625 scan lines, BUT it uses the UHF Frequency Band, has a sound offset of +6.0MHz, and like PAL-B it has a Negative Vision Modulation and once again is "In Use".

Also, in addition to the above, I have a Pioneer DV-444 Multi-Region DVD player to use with this TV. If I were to take the DVD player and TV over could I also use this combination to watch DVD's and / or TV?

If I cant use my English TV in Denmark is there a cheap box I could buy from somewhere which would convert the TV for use in Denmark. I am on a very tight budget, being a student, so any help / advice you could give me would be appreciated :)

Thanks for your help and I hope you can help me!

-Mo
    :confused:

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might be obvious, but for TV and DVD player, you need an electrical plug convertor. Costs just a few quid. Can't think of anything else that would stop the DVD player working with the TV.

Regarding the TV, can you change the language for the menus and can you choose the country during auto tune? If so, you're probably in business....

As far as I was aware, the TVs I have owned (Philips, JVC, and now Sony) have always been made for European markets and so have worked within the PAL family.

3. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My sister has just got back from Denmark with the RAF. She bought a tv over there and it works fine back here in England.!!!

4. Mo_UK_DK

Mo_UK_DK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for replying so quickly.

Just to say I have the Electrical Plug converters sorted so thats one less thing to worry about.

I had a look on the TV menus today, and the TV can be set in the following languages: French, German, Spanish and Italian which would indicate that it works in those countries as well as England.

Do you think it is worth shipping the TV over to try it?

Cheers,

-Mo.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not Danish then? :rolleyes:

What about the auto tune?

Maybe give Goodman's a call.

6. Mo_UK_DK

Mo_UK_DK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey SG,

No Menu's in Danish! and there is no options on the autotune that look like it can be set to Danish! Oh well.

I'll try to dig out a number for Goodmans tomorrow.

Cheers buddy.

-M.

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    The TV will work, but you will have no sound.

Easiest way to get sound would be to use a Danish Video, and then use the tuner in the video, and use a SCART connection between the video and TV.

This is what i have done in Ireland. As its exactly the same, the sound is on VHF, where as the sound in the UK is UHF.

TV's sold on the continent, have dual VHF/UHF tuners as standard!

8. Mo_UK_DK

Mo_UK_DK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey MJN,

Thanks for the heads up! I'm not taking a video out there with me, Don't really have a need for one but I am taking my DVD player out with me.

Last night my father and I found a 21" Fully Flat Screen TV (I dont think it was plasma) with dual SCART sockets, Nicam Sound, front AV ports and the usual features being sold in Denmark for £170 including TAX!!

OK so maybe it wasnt a decent make, its called Watson, and I can't seem to find any product websites for this manufacterer but hey at £170 I think its quite a steal...what do you think? Do you think it will have the dual tuner also being a budget TV?

Cheers for your help.

-Mo.

9. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    More than likely, even the budget makes on the continent have VHF-UHF tuners.

But like i say, if don't wish to buy another TV, just get hold of a cheap video in Denmark, when you get there. Who cares if its crap, cos its only going to be routing the picture and sound, thru SCART. Or you could buy a decent one, and bring it back to the uk?