1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all SVS owners!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by AngelEyes, Sep 16, 2005.

1. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    I have read loads about these subs and now I own one and am trying to set it up I would like to know what to expect.

For those of you who haven't read my numerous posts on the subject my sub is in a troublesome location and I have yet to set it up properly via BFD.

At the moment the results I get in the current setup/location are pretty similiar to my old £100 Yamaha woofer :confused:. As you can imagine having bought a sub for around 10x the price I am keen find out what I should realistically expect.

What would really help me is if you could describe how certain reference scenes sound and feel for you.

Some DVDs with Bassy scenes I do have that might help:

Finding Nemo
    Contact
    U-571
    Titan AE
    Master & Commander
    Flight of the Pheonix

I appreciate this is a lot to ask but any help you can give would be appreciated. :)

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I'm not an SVS owner but still might be able to help. I'd recommend turning down your sub volume by about 3dB - if you havn't used an SPL meter then it will almost certainly be wrong and if you have see if you like it.

I'll just take Finding Nemo as an example, the soundtrack to this film is one of the best available in terms of ambience. It really does add to the feeling of floating on your own in the middle of the ocean. For big bangs though watch from the start of the shark scene to the demise of the sub. :devil: The Darla scene (where she taps on the tank) is also helpful as it's at the very start of a chapter - I think it's more fun having watched the rest of the film and being surprised by it though. :)

Since you have Finding Nemo, make sure that you run the THX Optimiser on the disc for setting up the video and checking your audio. There's a sine sweep on this which is very useful for checking how your sub/speakers integrate as it should sound like it's at a constant volume all the way down rather than warbling. If you find that the crossover to your sub is very obvious then you need to adjust your crossover and gain settings for it. You can use the BFD to help tame any warbling that are purely within your SVSs range with a bit of practice. :)

3. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Not a lot of help I know but I don't think the ultra will ever work in your room so I am offering you £300 for it. I'll even throw in my 25-31+.

4. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    Hmmmm... thanks mate but I'll struggle on for the time being, anyway £300 is way to generous for a second hand sub, surely? :hiya:

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Try and scrounge a listen to another SVS so that you can hear for yourself what they are supposed to sound like. If you can't find anyone closer you are more than welcome to come and hear mine.

6. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    Another question...

When setting up the BFD I have tried via my laptop through a spare input on the Receiver. As this isn't the same as the actual input that i would normally use (DVD input) does this mean that not all the speakers will fire up? Will I just be getting left, right and sub (no centre), because the input is just stereo?

Should I record the test tones to the DVD to get a proper result?

7. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    Thanks Ian, I think this is the only way I will be sure.

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    When I set up my BFD I have the amp set in stereo mode. The integration between your main speakers and the sub is the important one. :)

9. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    Ok... whilst I'm asking questions? :D

My receiver has crossovers on all the speakers at the moment they are all set to 90hz as that is as close to the 'recommended' crossover of 80hz. Should they all be different?

When adding my main speakers to the frequency tests I get a huge drop off above 80hz which is I assume some sort of cancellation between the sub and the fronts? Is phase on the sub the right thing to adjust here?

...how much will it cost for one of you geniusses to fix my setup? :rotfl:

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Set all of your speakers to small and leave the crossover at 90Hz for all of them. That should be just fine to get you going - there's no strict science to it but following a few basic guidelines and then tweaking it to taste is usually the best option.

Do you get the same huge drop off above 80Hz when your sub isn't running? There are a few solutions to this - I would reduce the sub crossover frequency to counter it rather than adjusting the phase although that may work too. :)

I'd charge £100 plus petrol to come and set it up properly with suitable computer software talking you through it. :devil:

11. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    It's tempting but I will see how this weekend goes :)

I think guilford is about 1 hour 40 minutes away (if you drive like me :devil: )

12. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It's nearer 2hours 30 as my girlfriend lives in Huntingdon - 120 miles. I do try to drive in a petrol conservative fashion though. :)

13. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    Well that means less petrol charge, hooray! :clap:

I'll keep you posted.

14. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    You'll be fine, you can have all of my advice free over the forum. Once you get the hang of what you're trying to achieve it'll be easy. The problem is that it takes so damn long. :)

15. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    AngelsEyes, I am in Ipswich, 60 miles isn't that far. You are welcome to come for a demo this weekend if you like. My Ultra is set-up with a BFD.

I'll be in Cambridge for the next 2 weeks but I'll be very busy so not sure if I'll have time to help you out.

P.S. Did I sell a copy of Snow White Gift set to you over on DVD Forums?

16. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Taking Finding Nemo as an example, if you go to the Darla chapter, when she taps on the tank, you should literally feel as if you are inside it (oh apart from water going up your nostrils that is :D ). You should hear almost a pressurised "wobble" (don't know how else to describe it :blush: ), and the pressure and sound level will (and should, at close to reference level anyway :devil: ) just about scare the bejeezus out of you.

17. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,840
    AngelEyes,

Looks like you and me both on the learning curve to set up SVS subs. Just recently acquired a S/H PB12-ISD. :)

Although I got some horrible looking peaks I have to agree with Nimby's observation that when using my speakers on large with a crossover of 80Hz, my mains are pobably supplementing the drop I have around 40Hz.

You can read my thread to see how (badly) I'm arriving at an optimum solution!!

18. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    Sorry, it must have been some other person with lovely eyes :rolleyes:

Thanks for the offer, I will probably try and get things working first but I will let you know about Sat should I change my mind.

19. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I had better ask Admin to change your user group to "Installer" then :D

20. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    Well this is me atm. (see attachment) Comments plz :)

No BFD changes affect the peaks between 63 and 160 so I assume I need to play with the crossover (set to 120hz atm an improvement over 90hz) or fronts EQ? (ooer another 1st).

I did find phase set to about 90 degrees helps get rid of a massive dip at 40hz at 45 degrees it drops loads!!

Attached Files:

21. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,840
    That's well hell of a transformation getting your sub to change from a P12-Ultra to a HGS-15 ;) :)

22. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    Yeah yeah i'm just lazy :p

23. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    160 is well above the range your subwoofer will be working at and the 63 point is a dip so is best left alone. Only try and cut peaks rather than boosting troughs as well.

If the pink is after then it looks like you've done an excellent job! By lowering the crossover frequency on your sub you may be able to reduce the effects around 100Hz. Excellent work otherwise though. :)

24. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Did you have the other speakers running when you did the graph?
    How have got the other speakers set ,large or small?

25. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    Thanks John,

I have only really played with the lower end of the graph. Any changes to the higher frequencies has no effect so I assume my problems are with the other speakers.

Bob,

I finally burnt the test tones to CD which has made life a lot easier and yes all the speakers are running as if i was playing a DVD.

How should I address the higher end frequency dips and peaks that seem to be unrelated to the Sub and BFD settings. For instance there is a -27 cut at 98 DB and as you can see, no effect!

Fronts are set to small. Crossovers are set to 120 front and 90 on centre and rear.

If I have dips in output from my mains is it worth setting them to large to 'fill the gap'? Sorry completely clueless here! :rotfl:

26. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,840
    "Let go Luke, feel the force". 'Let your ears be your guide' is a good bit of advice I got recently. If setting to Large sounds better go with it.

27. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    Nice idea but when you have nothing to compare it to how do you know what sounds 'right'. I just spent a fortune (for me anyway) and I just want to be confident I have it set right.

At the moment my ears tell me the really low bass is there but the more 'common' bass is missing. I want to be kicked in the chest... but I am just not feeling it :(

28. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I wouldn't worry if its right or wrong,if you like how it sounds thats all that matters, everyone as different tastes.
    If the bfd isn't having an effect on the response then that will be your other speakers thats causing the peaks.
    I have all my speakers set to large sub crossover set to 60hz, I have tried different settings but have allways gone back to that.
    My sony amps crossover settings have little effect to the responce ,i still get a decent output at 160hz with just the sub playing .
    You could be at it forever even if you get the graph your after you might not like the sound.

29. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Your dip in 125 & 160hz will take away a lot of 'smack' from your bass. This area really adds definition to bass. Although, with subs, we often go on about low frequencies, balancing the higher ones are important also. And these are what we hear more clearly, as lower ones are felt more. To make music sound more 'chunky' adding 110 - 200 hz would do the job.

So if the sub doesn't reach up there I think you should try putting your fronts on large & bringing the xover down. If you get too much sub you can reduce subs volume.

Getting a frequency analysis is useful as a guide, but you will have to make some kind of compromise, and that will mean using your ears & playing stuff
    you know & experimenting, also comes down to your preference.

Best of luck :)

T.

30. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    p.s. When I set my fronts to small, using xover of 80hz on amp & sub xover set to highest (99hz), I get a dip in the upper bass, what I would think is 160 - 200hz region. This disappears when I set fronts to large.