Calling all STR-VA555ES owners

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by robin, Feb 11, 2003.

1. robin

robin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently running my PS2 through my receiver and playing a game (SSX Tricky) that outputs DTS[2/2]. The receiver picks up on the DTS[2/2] flag and lights up like a Christmas tree on heat, but no sound is produced, even if I change the sound field from A.F.D to any other sound field. The annoying thing is that I don’t have any other DTS[2/2] games or DVDs that I can test the receiver with.

The fact that the game (or the PS2) might not work doesn't bother me, but the receiver not working does.

In short: Has anyone been able to listen to a DTS[2/2] source, which I can obtain and try out on my receiver.

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    A game outputting DTS? is it supposed to be in DTS? seems unlikely. Are you sure your reciever isn't manually set to DTS? Or the signal is coming from something else?

3. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've just checked, seems it does output DTS! You might need the firmware upgrade to make DTS work properly, see this thread

4. robin

robin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The game is definitely DTS, you have to manual specify the sound mode as DTS else it outputs stereo. The receiver isn’t manually set to DTS; it automatically changes to it when I set the sound mode within the game. All other sources are turned off when I’m using the PS2. I have tried all the other sound fields and I get the same result.

Sorry for the rather negative feed back.

Rob.

5. robin

robin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In that case, have you (or anyone else for that matter) tried a DTS[2/2] source before and after the firmware upgrade; I would be interested in the results!

6. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've never seen a DVD that outputs DTS [2/2] (that means 2 front, 2 rear, no center speaker).

7. robin

robin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info cybersoga, I think its time for a firmware upgrade or should I say patch.

Rob.