Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Calling all Sony VTX-D800U users with 4:3 TVs

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by KMO, Nov 4, 2004.

1. KMO

KMO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I've got a Sony VTX-D800U Freeview receiver, and I'm very happy with it, on my 16:9 TV. It's a fantastic box. But I want to get another one to use with a 4:3 TV, but its AFD handling is broken, and I can't quite bring myself to choose it for a 4:3 TV.

To help persuade Sony to fix the problem, I'm looking for people who've noticed the problem to hassle them. If they get enough contacts, we've got a better chance of getting it sorted.

Presumably the problem doesn't affect their IDTVs, as they're all 16:9.

The problem is this: when in "4:3 Letterbox" mode, the box switches to 16:9 to show BBC Sport, often resulting in "postage-stamped" 4:3 events.

The correct behaviour with these broadcasts is to switch to 4:3 full-frame, because the BBC are using AFD 7 to signal "4:3 safe". The mistake may have arisen due to an apparent cut-and-paste error in this DTG document.

Now, some will decry this, saying they want the option to see it as 16:9 letterbox. And I agree that they should have the option, but this isn't the way to do it. The "4:3 Letterbox" mode is supposed to be a "compromise" mode that uses minimal letterboxing to ensure all the safe area is visible. Thus it shows most 16:9 BBC content as 14:9, because the BBC signal it as 14:9 safe. It should likewise show 4:3-safe material as 4:3, like the analogue broadcasts.

To cater for whole frame lovers, I also propose adding a third mode which always shows the whole active picture, even for 14:9-safe and 4:3-safe material. The three modes should then be renamed to "Letterbox", "Normal" and "Centre cut-out" to better reflect their function. This is exactly what SetPal boxes do, apparently (although they call their third mode "Wide").

One final proposal: if you have a 16:9 capable, auto-switching 4:3 TV, you can get the box to output anamorphic 16:9, but only by going all the way through the menus to lie that you have a 16:9 TV. But this then negates all the AFD handling, and you lose 14:9 compromises. I propose they add a 3rd TV type "4:3 with 16:9 support", that works exactly like 4:3 at present, with all three AFD handling modes, but uses 16:9 anamorphic instead of 16:9 letterbox.

If you support fixing the problem, or recommending these extra modes, please contact Sony. We need to get this sorted as soon as possible, before they drop support for the box - it's getting a little long in the tooth.

Their online form is at http://www2.sony.co.uk/feedback/feedbackform.asp. You can phone them at 0870 241 3624. But I suspect that given the complexity of the issue, you might not get far on a phone call; I've not tried it myself.

A spreadsheet summarising the current and fixed AFD behaviour can be found at http://www.bracey-griffith.freeserve.co.uk/.