1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all Sony Television owners

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Darren_L, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My recent thread has got me thinking. There seems to be an auto format "problem" with some Sony Televisions.

Mine is a KV32FX65 which cost me a lot of money. Overall I'm very happy with it and this is the only fault that I personally have noticed.

How many people with Sony TVs have had problems with the auto format option.
    EG picutre switching from "smart" to "wide" and back; switching to the wrong mode eg "zoom" instead of "Smart"

The problem can be cured by turning off the auto-format option, but I don't think that this is good enough.

Please list your model number and whether you've had Sony to look at it.

Thanks.

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this happening when you are watching analogue or digital or both?
    ...........i have a Sony 36FS70 Auto Format set to normal and Format Correction set to on and screen mode set to smart.

The only time mine changes format is through Digital........on widescreen broadcasts when its selects Wide.

Are your settings any different to mine?

I had the Hitachi 36".........the auto correction drove me nuts, it use to switch back and forth like crazy......... it was supposed to detect the black bars top and bottom and then correct the picture to the correct format. But what use to happen was, if there were any scenes where it was dark it use to switch then when it got brighter it use to switch back again.........i ended up switching it of off and a month later sent the set back and got the Sony......haven't looked back since..........

3. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I only tend to watch digital via the NTL box. The auto format setting for this is on the AV setup menu.

4. bigH007

bigH007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I have the Sony model KV28FX65. I do not experience this switching mode problem that you have.

However when I am watching Channel 4 and they are showing a film in wide screen format, after a few seconds the TV switches to ZOOM .

I donot experience this with the other channels so I suspect that Ch 4 is causing this.

5. Banjaxe

Banjaxe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As far as I know there are three ways a typical UK widescreen TV can decide which format to use:

1) Guess by looking at the black bars.

2) Be told explicitly by a device connected to a SCART socket by having the device apply the correct voltage on the correct pin of the SCART socket. This assumes the device (most likely a DVD player) knows the type of the signal and sets the pin accordingly.

3) For PAL signals only look at one of the "picture" lines normally hidden off the top of the screen for widescreen signalling information. This assumes the broadcaster or DVD player are passing this signal.

For analogue broadcasts I think only Channel 4 use the third option to send the widescreen signalling info. If your TV thinks it's getting the widescreen signal on an analogue broadcast it might be programmed by Sony to choose "zoom" instead of "smart".

I have a KD32DX40 Sony IDTV and I've had problems using a Toshiba 2109 DVD player with the TV in auto-format mode - the TV always seems to set the correct mode but if I'm watching a PAL widescreen DVD I get the word "Wide" appearing in big green letters every minute or so. By borrowing a friends Toshiba 210 DVD player and connecting both the 210 and the 2109 using S-Video cables (so that the SCART pin wasn't the factor) I came to the conclusion that my DVD player was sending widescreen signalling info (or just plain garbage) that couldn't be recognized by the TV (the 210 worked perfectly).

I thought I was going to have to buy a new DVD player until I tried switching auto-format off - this stopped the word "Wide" appearing. The good news is that (at least on the DX40) this only tells the TV to ignore to ignore the widescreen signalling info - my DVD player and Sky+ box connected via SCART still cause the TV to change between widescreen and non-widescreen. The bad news is that this stops the TV recognizing format changes from the inbuilt digital tuner - I tend to use Sky + more just now so this isn't a huge problem.

Ronnie

6. Noman

Noman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you are on a one way street....
    I baught my Sony set (32FX60) almost three years ago and it had the "problem" back then. If it still is a unwanted feature on FX65 and other models (and brands) I don´t think you are going to be able to do much about it....

If you still are persistant an can get SONY to make it work, I will hire you next time I have problems with new technical equipment....

7. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I can live with the problem of the TV switching to "Zoom" instead of "Wide" on the cable channels that are in Widescreen.

What I am finding annoying is this flicking from one to the other in quick succession when I'm watching DVDs. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it!

I know I can disable it by turning off the auto format, but I'm a perfectionist and hate it when things don't work properly.

I've emailed Sony UK so I'll see if they reply.

8. Manray

Manray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok i have had this problem sometimes:

I select smart for normal broadcasts, and when it goes to a widescreen channel it switches to wide, then i go to a normal one and it selects smart. Sometimes it goes back to 4:3, so i keep having to change it, but once i get it to use smart it dont change unless i touch the display button... wierd.

9. TPO

TPO
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 32FX65 for just over a year now and YES..it "bounces around" trying to decide what format , but I find this only happens when watching tv signals from an outdoor aerial... I have never noticed the same problem when watching a DVD or SkyD.:(