** calling all Sony KP44PS2 owners **

Z

zcaps57

Hello, guys. :)

I humbly beg for your help.

Basically, I've tried to "improve" picture quality by accessing "service menu". :(
I shouldn't have done it considering that picture quality of KP44PS2 was already near perfection in my humble opinion.
This happened last Friday. I did my best to set it back to what it was, I did sit in front of the TV all weekend, trying differnt config., values, setting etc... :(

I could fix it almost 80%.

To fix it back to 90~100% original setting, it is impossible for me without someone's reference setting.

If any of you've accessed the service menu of this RPTV, you can save my life from getting killed by my nephew & my wife.

In the service menu there is a menu called "Device Register Setting ". in this section there is a another menu called "Deflection".
( service menu --> Device Register Setting --> Deflection )

If you could type some values in that "Deflection" menu, I would tremendously thank you, and pay for the input. (I am serious.)

I only need the values in "data" line.
It won't take you more than 2 minutes.

Here are parameters in the "Deflection" section.

--"Deflection" Section.--
1. V - Size
2. V - Position
3. V - Comp
4. V - Linear
5. S - Corr
6. H - Size
7. Ew - Dc
8. Pin - Amp
9. Up - CPin
10. M - Pin
11. Lo - CPin
12. Trapezium
13. H - Position
14. AFC - Bow
15. AFC - Angle
16. Up - Vlin
17. Lo - Vlin
18. MPIP PAmp
19. MPIP UCPin
20. MPIP LCPin
21. MPIP Trap
22. EPG PAmp
23. EPG UCPin
24. EPG LCPin
25. EPG Trap

Thanks.

Oh....thank you stewarthollyhead !!!

You need to switch off the TV from the main unit. (not from the remote.)

then....

1. Press and hold "PROGR +" and "PROGR -" button of the TV unit.

2. Press the main power switch of the TV.

3. Once TV's booted up you can let go off the "PROGR +" and "PROGR -" button.

4. Press "MENU" button on the remote.

5. Press "MENU" button on the remote again.

You are in the service menu.

PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE ANY VALUES.
DO NOT SAVE ANYTHING.

go to
--> Device Register Setting --> Deflection

then you'll see the parameters exactly like... the following,
I only need the values in "data" line. ( the line in the far right hand side.)
It won't take you more than 2 minutes.

Once you're done.... just turn your TV off.

1. V - Size
2. V - Position
3. V - Comp
4. V - Linear
5. S - Corr
6. H - Size
7. Ew - Dc
8. Pin - Amp
9. Up - CPin
10. M - Pin
11. Lo - CPin
12. Trapezium
13. H - Position
14. AFC - Bow
15. AFC - Angle
16. Up - Vlin
17. Lo - Vlin
18. MPIP PAmp
19. MPIP UCPin
20. MPIP LCPin
21. MPIP Trap
22. EPG PAmp
23. EPG UCPin
24. EPG LCPin
25. EPG Trap

You're about to save my life !!

thanks.

Looking forward to your reply.

Sony Service Center can supply the service manual for KP-44PS2
at a charge of £14.94.

Payment can be made over the phone by credit card on 02082832700.
Alternatively by cheque/ postal order to the address below.

Sony Service Center
Unit 2
The Heathrow Summit Center
West Drayton
Middlesex
UB7 0SU

Thanks for the input, Trush. :)

I ordered the service manual today. But the engineer, I spoke to, he reckoned that the service manual would not solve the problem. :(

stewarthollyhead, I am still waiting for your reply.

one slight problem soundandvision havent delivered my TV yet

I willpost the answer when the uggers give it me :)

hope you can wait til then

stew

Hi
I'm not convinced this will help for two reasons;
1 Idon't know exactly what you've adjusted.
2 these settings can be slightly different from set to set.(especially if you're correcting geometry and overscan.
Anyway,in order;
off
hope this helps.
Simon

Thank you everyone for your generous input.

I have fixed it !!!

Johnson, you're right. your values are different to mine.

I went into projector engine, did everything manually.
The damn thing took me about 37 hours in total. :(

But... the picture quality is near perfection. Yeepee~~!! :D

The service manual which I've ordered maybe here sometime next week, but hey, I can say that I now can almost write a service manual myself for KP-44PS2. :)

Anyway..... I thank you guys again for your help.

Have a nice weekend. :)

:D
Hey zcaps57,
Have you written down your "complete list of values now" for the future? :D

Originally posted by Thor
:D
Hey zcaps57,
Have you written down your "complete list of values now" for the future? :D

Yeah !!!!
I DID wrote down the "complete list of values".

Thanks again Thor. :D

Improve my picture then...Just got my 44PS2 today and although spectacular, I found the picture on Final fantasy very grainy !! is this normal or can it be improved.

I've tried adjusting normal picture parameters but its still soft and grainy. Any advice from zcaps57 :) would be appreciated.

OR is that as good as it gets .. am i so used to an actual 36" CRT (Sony 36FS70 which the Shop replaced as it was rubbish Purity problems big time) or is there a setting to adjust.

I've looked at the service menu but apart from geometry settings i can't see the right ones for sharpening and removing grain.

Regards

Wee G.

Zcaps
Is your geometry good in all screen formats? ie drc50smart,drc50wide,drc100smart etc

Had a little go with the projector engine, scared stiff in case i bugger the settings, seem to be able to adjust blue convergence but don't seem to be able to switch colours (ie to red) easily)

Can anyone explain the controls for this, as it does seem to fix convergence at the edges were the auto convergence seems to miss.

Please

Wee G.

This is a mail I sent to graham.It may help.
Just remember when you have the convergence grid up,have your contrast to 40% or below to stop burning.

Hi Graham
Because you havn't had a great deal of experience I'll give you just the
basics.
Don't use dynamic convergence.
Once in the service menu,go to the projection engine.
Once there press 6.
You will have a cross-hatch pattern.
press 9.
You will have a white square in the center.
when the square is white you can move it around the screen with your
joystick without affecting anything.
when you are at a point of the screen that needs adjusting press the OK
inthe middle of the joystick.
The white box will then change colour.
Pressing 3 toggles between red,blue and green.
Use green as your base-line colour.Don't adjust green unless you have
geometry problems,and then adjust green first and set the other colours to
it.
Once you have picked a colour you want to adjust move the convergence with
the joystick,up-down-side etc.
Then press OK.
The box will turn white and you can move to the next point.
Once you have finished converging press mute then 0 on the remote to store
the new settings.
Doing the convergence this way is much slower than the way I explained on
the forums because you have to converge every format ie;drc50
wide,smart,4:3,14:9 drc 100 wide,smart,4:3,14:9 then the same for normal
mode and the same for ntsc.
Of course you only have to converge the formats that you use most often.
If you don't press mute then 0 the changes you have made will be lost the
next time the tv is turned off.
Incedently the auto convergence does work on ntsc but all it does(in all
modes) is align the centre of each grid.
Of course if each grid is not aligned in the service mode(like your ntsc)it
will only converge the centre of the screen.
If you want a really tight convergence there is more you can do.Have a go at
this first and perhaps you might feel more comfortable about doing more at a
later stage.
Hope this helps
Simon

I sort off sussed out some of that, but the clincher was the mute 0 for storage, excellent !!!!. So I have too do it for every format ....och well...if i hit reset devices will this return every thing to the default position and then set it to factory reset, as I don't know if I changed anything in the projector engine trying to suss out what you've just explained, originally i modded the converenge while the colour was selected with xxxxxx displayed ??

Any more info on tweaking will be more than welcome.

Again thanks for this info.

Regards Gary

Hi Gary
No you don't have to do this for each format.In theory you do but if you search for some of my previous posts,I've posted the info you need to copy the convergence settings from one format to all others.
Regards
Simon

Simon

Sorry to be a pain but it all sound slike it is getting complicated. I have no experience in setting up these TV's could you answer the following questions

1) I read somewhere that the region1 pics look softer than the region2. What setting can you implement to make the region 1 look as good? Once you have changed to this setting is it permanent, or do you have to flick between it and the old setting for best picture region to region?

2) Is there any other general improvements you canr ecommend for getting the best sound and performance? Bearing in mind I dont know what IM doing :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Stewart
Yes you're right,it does look complicated when you havn't done it before.It's quite easy when you've had a go or if someone has shown you.
However if you're at all worried I would recommend you don't touch it.(you can mess up an awfull lot)
I honestly don't notice a lot of difference between a good ntsc disk and a pal one.(a few of these sets came with the ntsc convergence not set up),but I have posted a way to copy all your pal convergence data to ntsc.Obviously there is about 100 lines difference between the two.
I have not heard of the problem that you state regarding this.
If you go into the service menu to vmlv,it has four settings 0,1,2,3.
This is scan velocity modulation.Some people dont like it ,whether you're one of these or not there's no denying it makes a difference.have a play(flick between 3 and 0 it makes a big difference to the amount of detail)
You ask if there are other improvements you can make and there are,however you're a bit worried about playing(justifiably)so I would wait until you're a bit more confident(One good one is reducing the overscanfrom 7% to 3%)
As far as the sound goes I dont use the tv.I use a receiver,but the tv's standard speakers are not magnetically sheided so I removed them.
If you want to see the difference it makes,call up the cross-hatch pattern in the projector engine,then remove one of the speakers out of the casing(it will now be even further from the lamps than normal)and move the speaker horizontally in front of the tv speaker grill.You will see the convergence being pulled off.(different coloured lines seperating)
Regards
Simon

Is there a way to turn off one of the tubes so that you're converging say... red and green and then when set switch on the blue and set that up, I've gone colour blind over the last 2 hours setting it up, as well as crosseyed :).

A thicker crosshatch as well would be good.

I notice a moiring effect around fine detail can this be corrected too.

Thanks for the help for previous posts.

G.

Gary
When you switch the tv on in service mode(but before going into the menu)you have TT00.
Enter 62
Now when you enter service mode,you will be in service/production mode.
Now just look through the various catagories and you will find more options one will enable you to turn the lamps off individually.
It's not hard to find,they are the top three parameters.
With regard to the crosshatch you really want a thin tight one.
This is another thing I did with my KP44.I readjusted the electro and mechanical focus of each lamp.
They were only out by a small amount,but they were out.
The results were obviously better focus and tighter lines.
After doing this and acheiving tighter grid lines it was easier to spot convergence problems.
I always use the spot pattern after the grid as it shows the different placement of the lamps easier.
Once you have done these and want to go on,you can set the 2/4 polar magnets at the base of each lamp,below the deflection yoke.
Regards
Simon

I'll give that a try tonight, cheers...

Is the focus an easy procedure or a complete dog....Bloody Sony

...You'd think they'd take care and pride in their work, I can't beleive All the mags rave about this tv and that the one button convergence works a treat, when we've had all this tweaking to do our selves, sony obviously set these tv's up properly for them and left us with ....Och that'll do them attitude.

Any onwards we go :))

Wee G.

Simon, the TT62 code doesn't do anything am i missing out a stage, Put TV in Service Mode, TYpe 62 then hit menu !!

G.

Initially nothing will look different.Hit menu twice as normal.
You will have the same options,ie;deflection,backend etc,but in these options you will have more parameters to adjust.
I havn't played with my set for a while but I think the lamp switches are in backend or deflection.
If you can't find them I'll check when I'm home.
Regards
Simon

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom