1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all Sony 10/11ht owners?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gwbailey, Mar 26, 2002.

1. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thinking of getting the 11ht but I can't get a demo on it where I live, but I did get a demo of the 10ht.

Now, I thought the picture was great but I thought it was very washed out, thus making blacks very dull and grey!

Yes I know the blacks are not the best on the 10ht but I feel as though I'm missing out on somthing here!

The picture was as though the lights in the room where still on...the walls were light blue and the ceiling was white so I'm sure this is not helping?

The screen was a Vu-tec 1.4 gain white 16:9 electic...

Is the gain too high?

Is that causing it to look washed out?

I know that a Grey Screen is better with LCD PJ's but they cost too much!

So would a 1.0 gain Screen be as good,will it stop the picture from looking washed out?

The reason I'm asking all these questions is because ALL the screen shots that I've seen of the 10ht's (and believe me I've seen alot!) NOT ONE picture looked washed out,not one! not even cheaper LCD PJ's I've seen!

So can anyone help?

What type of Screens are you guys using?

Help!

Help!

Help!

2. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've just bought the VW11 and I'm very happy with it. The screen is a Matt white Da-Lite Model B which is 1.0 gain. I was impressed by a demo of the VW10 and this is definately better.

My guess (as I'm not an expert yet!!) is that a 1.4 gain is too much for the Sony - a neutral gain or grey screen would be better.

For me, it's the best I can use in my environment as the room is only 13 feet so I needed short throw to fill the 80x45 16:9 screen.

Blacks are pretty good as I'm using cinema black mode (700 ANSI lumens) in a near dark room, the window is covered by a blackout blind and the screen.

To be honest, I've not had a lot of time since buying to really sit down and tweak the contrast/brightness/temperature etc settings but I thought some of the "dark" scenes in Shrek and O Brother were OK.

Hope that helps. BTW, I got my VW11 from PRC Direct for £4,150.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    The black levels on LCDs including the Sony are always less than perfect. However, there are things that can be done to both the 10 and 11 to improve matters.

1) It may be that the retailer wasn't using Cinema Black mode. This reduces lamp output so making the whole image (including blacks) darker. For all but the very largest of screens, this is optimal.

2) A screen with gain WILL increase the brightness of blacks. A plain grey screen with no gain will also darken the image, hence improving the black level. Again, recommended unless you are using a massive (> say 12 feet) screen

3) The brightness control WILL need adjusting, and WILL need setting differently for NTSC vs PAL sources, and for Component input vs other (SVideo & Composite) sources. It is probable that the store had not calibrated the thing optimally for the source/connection in use.

4) (Not something I'd expect a store to do) you can improve the black levels on both machines significantly by placing a pink colour correcting filter on the lens, and adjusting the colour balance to compensate. It's a cheap accessory and the adjustments take only a few minutes afterwards.

4. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys!

The Cinema Black mode was on BTW...

Does turning off Dynamic Picture mode make any difference?

What settings are you all using?

I've come to the conclusion that with the 11ht I must;

1) use a grey screen (Probably MDF+Icestorm 5, anyone tried this with 11ht?)

2) use in a total dark room (no bright ceiling or walls!)

3) use screen masking when viewing 1:85,2:35:1 movies!

4) get Gordon to ISF tweak it!

5) ????

Cheers,