1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all RME HDSP 9632 owners: Please help?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by tk2001, Apr 14, 2005.

1. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi,

I just received this soundcard and I'm having trouble setting it up properly.

When I play music on my HTPC the sound is fine and the AV32 picks up the signal as 44 Khz. However, when I open up Theatertek or Powerdvd to play a movie, I get a loud click coming from all the speaker as the input frequency changes from 44 Khz to 48 Khz (music to dvd movie playback).

This is very odd because the onboard SPDIF output om my Asus P4P800-VM never produces any clicking sound.

I thought something as simple as this would have been absent on a high-end soundcard such as the HDSP 9632 but perhaps I have missed something during the installation?

Also, is there anyway I can set to 9632 to output in 24bit or does it do this by default?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. optimo

optimo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is a crazy over the top card for watching DVD's. I engineer music using Steinberg Nuendo and use the hammerfall cards. They give a great stable low latency. never tried watching DVD's through it though.

Try the Nuendo forums they may be able to help. Nuendo recommend the Hammerfall cards so alot of people use them.

If not Try RME?

http://www.nuendo.com/phpbb2/

3. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I brought the HDSP 9632 because I wanted a very good SPDIF output for dvd movies and also music running via the 9632 is suppose to be exellent.

PS The breakout cables that come with the 9632 looks really low build and quality...

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
  5. jrpavel

jrpavel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried various combinations of settings and never managed to get the RME 9632 to pass through SPD/IF with DTS (it may have managed to pass DD, if I recall correctly).

To get bit-perfect SPD/IF passthrough, I went for an M-Audio Transit (USB) box (verified by playing PCM-encoded DTS or DD tracks from http://www.sr.se/multikanal/english/e_index.stm at full volume in Windows Media Player 10).

Unfortunately it does not auto-detect DD/DTS and so you need to get twiddle the driver control panel before playing a DVD to avoid down-mixing to PCM, but for getting unadulterated sound from the PC to the receiver, it does the job relatively inexpensively.

6. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    JohnS,

Have you swtiched your RME digi 96/8 from playing music staight to watching a dvd movie without any clicks at all (44 Khz to 48 Khz)?

7. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Getting the DTS pass-through via the 9632's SPDIF output is no problem on my card.

The funny thing is I use to own an M-Audio Audiophille 2496 and there were no clicking problems on that card what so ever.

What drivers are the rest of the HDSP 9632 owners using?

8. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi
    I have no probs with DD/DTS via SPDIF and TT2,my Denon amp sees both without probs.
    Playing music from hardrive and CD is also fine in Foobar,only problem I had with clicks was when I played a CD in my PC and Foobar was set to sample @96khz.
    What settings are you using ?
    Rob

9. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    The only controls I can change or have acces to are the Hammerfall DSP Mixer and the Hammerfall DSP Settings.

On the Mixer I have the preset set to 1 and on the DSP Settings I have tried all the Buffer Sizes (Latency) from 64 to 8192,
    AEB = unticked,
    SPDIF In left on AES,
    TMS = unticked,
    SPDIF Out everything left unticked,
    World Clock Out = unticked,
    Clock Mode set to Master,
    Pref.Sync Ref set to ADAT In,

Btw Rob, what drivers are you using for your 9632?

The manual states that the 9632 performs best when it is in 24bit but there doesn't seem to be an option to access this?

These clicking noises are definitely loud and are bad for my speakers.
    Am I the only HDSP 9632 owner who has this problem?

10. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I have now discovered that the loud pop/click noise happens when the HDSP 9632 changes frequency i.e when I load up Media Center 2005 from desktop, the frequency tends to switch between 32 Khz and 44 Khz and each time it changes frequency it creates a loud clicking sound.

That explains why when I listen to music at 44 Khz and then watching a dvd at 48 Khz it creates a loud clicking sound.

Trouble is, how do I get rid of it?

PS I have the 9632 connected to my Tag AV32 via both Coaxial-Digital and Optical and the problem is there with both connections.

If I can't get rid of the clicking sound by the end of the week then I will send it back for refund and stick with my trusty on-board SPDIF out on my Asus P4P800-VM :rolleyes:

11. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'm using
    MME =ticked
    AEB = unticked,
    SPDIF In left on coax,
    TMS = unticked,
    SPDIF Out= pro,
    World Clock Out = unticked,
    Clock Mode set to Master,
    Pref.Sync Ref set to world clock
    512 buffer
    Driver 2.8.2.1
    Have you got windows sound disabled ?
    Rob

12. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Rob,

Yes, I have the system sound set to 'no sounds' but I still get the nasty pops. I have also tried your settings but with no luck. :rolleyes:

13. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I have tried everyones suggestion on how to get rid of the crackling sound (even from the RME support forum) but I am still having no luck getting rid of it.

Unfortunately I am going to be sending the card back for a refund.

Thankyou for those who have tried to help.

14. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thats a real shame as the card is worth the effort,I would do a fresh install on a new hard drive and also try different PCI slots.
    What have you tried
    Rob

15. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Rob,

I have tried the 9632 on all PCI slots and I have gone through the manual more than 3 times. I have Windows Media Center 2005 as my main OS but I have tried the 9632 on a copy of Windows XP Professional SP2 and the problem is still there. My hard-drive is a Seagate 160GB SATA and I don't have any spare hard-drives lying around to try it on but I doubt it is an incompatibility problem with my hard-drive otherwise I would have thought that RME would have listed it under their incompatibility list on their website.

The simple answer could be that the card I have is faulty therefore no amount of tinkering is going to resolve the crackling sound.

However, when I used the card to compare the SPDIF output of the card against the on-board SPDIF output on my motherboard, the clarity was slightly enhanced for both normal audio and Dolby-Digital/DTS audio.
    The analog output of the 9632 was also very good whenI had music cds running though J.River Jukebox and Winamp 5 through Asio.

16. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    It is not a prob with compatibility with your hard drive,but a clean install would indicate wether it was a software or hardware conflict/problem with your motherboard/soundcard.
    It would be worthwhile if you could source a cheap hard drive to prove it,as you wont want a replacement to do the exact same thing.
    I still think you should persevere as it is an excellent card especially for analogue.
    Rob