Calling all qualified electricians - urgent advice needed please!

Sanders79

Distinguished Member
Hi everyone,

A friend is currently in the process of buying a house and some minor work needs to be done before they proceed.

The property they are buying has an outbuilding in the back garden that is being removed, which currently has water and electricity supply - when the electricity is capped, does the work need to be done by a qualified sparky who can do all the part P paperwork? I'm assuming it still needs to comply as it is in a domestic setting, regardless of the fact it is away from the main dwelling (probably more important actually!).

Cheers!

PS - apologies this isn't strictly AV related!

Last edited:

nelliekins

Hi everyone,

A friend is currently in the process of buying a house and some minor work needs to be done before they proceed.

The property they are buying has an outbuilding in the back garden that is being removed, which currently has water and electricity supply - when the electricity is capped, does the work need to be done by a qualified sparky who can do all the part P paperwork?
I'm not a sparky, but I have spent ages going through the Part P docs. Any outside electrical mains work has to be certified by a qualified sparky, as does anything classed as "notifiable". Whilst this doesn't preclude the possibility of a DIY job, it does mean that the work has to be inspected all the way through (I'm doing the wiring of my garage conversion, but have to get a sparky to sign off on 1st fix wiring and all connections to sockets / switches / CU and test the circuits).

FWIW electricians don't all charge stupid amounts of money for what we perceive to be very little work. The guy I've got helping me is really clued up, and is only charging me £35 per hour - bargain!

HTH.

Neil.

Sanders79

Distinguished Member
I'm not a sparky, but I have spent ages going through the Part P docs. Any outside electrical mains work has to be certified by a qualified sparky, as does anything classed as "notifiable". Whilst this doesn't preclude the possibility of a DIY job, it does mean that the work has to be inspected all the way through (I'm doing the wiring of my garage conversion, but have to get a sparky to sign off on 1st fix wiring and all connections to sockets / switches / CU and test the circuits).

FWIW electricians don't all charge stupid amounts of money for what we perceive to be very little work. The guy I've got helping me is really clued up, and is only charging me £35 per hour - bargain!

HTH.

Neil.
Thanks Neil, good to benefit from your experience!

I know a very good electrician who did the wiring in our kitchen plus a few other jobs, and he only charged about £200 all in, which seemes extremely good at the time considering the time he put in. Tradesmen in general (sparks, plumbers etc.) all seem to have an unfairly tarnished reputation. I suppose I have been lucky before!

After I posted this thread, I found a useful guidance document on the internet about Part P - you confirmed what I managed to gain from skim reading and then some.

Good luck with the garage conversion.:smashin: Did you have to notify the building regs chappy before you started the work, or only at certain points during and eventually after?

Badger0-0

Hardly a bargain, IMO :eek:
But if you're happy, that's all that matters :smashin:

nelliekins

Thanks Neil, good to benefit from your experience!

Good luck with the garage conversion.:smashin: Did you have to notify the building regs chappy before you started the work, or only at certain points during and eventually after?
LOL - I should get you to read my thread :D I've been harassing the poor chap for weeks about the minutae of my plans, and only finally met him this morning! He is going to come back and inspect at certain milestones throughout the work (when the lintel is in tomorrow, when the studwork is finished, and 2nd fix completion).

Cheers for the good wishes - hope to be adding an update to my thread tomorrow, covering the new doorway and the side-hinged garage door (B&Q had some monster butt hinges that I am hoping will hold the door up!)

Hardly a bargain, IMO :eek:
But if you're happy, that's all that matters :smashin:
Hi Badger,

You should see what I charge as a consultant (or rather what my boss charges for my time!) - I could get a team of sparkies for that! ;)

Badger0-0

Nelliekins,

My trade charges out at more than sparks, FWIW.

I was a bit reticent to post at all, as it always looks bad, but can assure you that £35 an hour is not a bargain mate.
I know loads of fully qualified sparks who work for well, let's say, a lot less than that.

A ton will get you a full saturday morning, 5-6 hours, no problem, as long as you provide a bacon and egg sandwich and a couple of pints :D

But then, I am sort of in the know, I guess ;)

nelliekins

Nelliekins,

My trade charges out at more than sparks, FWIW.

I was a bit reticent to post at all, as it always looks bad, but can assure you that £35 an hour is not a bargain mate.
I know loads of fully qualified sparks who work for well, let's say, a lot less than that.

A ton will get you a full saturday morning, 5-6 hours, no problem, as long as you provide a bacon and egg sandwich and a couple of pints :D

But then, I am sort of in the know, I guess ;)
Hi Badger,

Lots of skilled jobs charge well over £35ph - I guess I should have said that in comparison with what I have been quoted in the past, it is a bargain :)

If I was still down South, I'd get mates rates on most trades (family & friends provide leccy / gas / plumbing / building and telecoms), but being a Stranger in a Strange Land (and boy, Chorley is a strange land :rotfl:) I am still finding my way...

As for the "couple of pints", I'm pretty sure I don't want a sparky touching my consumer unit liquored up with my pregnant wife in the house! :rolleyes: ;)

Anyway, OPs question appears to have been answered nicely - we're just prolonging this thread for the sake of it now... how's the weather by you? ;)

Badger0-0

Hi Badger,

Lots of skilled jobs charge well over £35ph - I guess I should have said that in comparison with what I have been quoted in the past, it is a bargain :)

If I was still down South, I'd get mates rates on most trades (family & friends provide leccy / gas / plumbing / building and telecoms), but being a Stranger in a Strange Land (and boy, Chorley is a strange land :rotfl:) I am still finding my way...

As for the "couple of pints", I'm pretty sure I don't want a sparky touching my consumer unit liquored up with my pregnant wife in the house! :rolleyes: ;)

Anyway, OPs question appears to have been answered nicely - we're just prolonging this thread for the sake of it now... how's the weather by you? ;)
That's after the job, of course :)

As it happens, it's been the best day for at least 3 weeks today :thumbsup:

You're right re: the OP's question having been answered, which is why I thought he wouldn't mind a bit of a sidetrack :rolleyes:

nelliekins

I only charge £120 per day. but back to the ops question, You don't need a certificate for electricity been disconnected from an outbuilding.

Sorry if i have misread the question.
I think that the OP was saying that the circuit was currently live, and he (or rather his mate) needed someone to cap it off - since that requires a change to the CU, it's Part P.

As for your rate, WOW! I'm now feeling a little gutted how much I've paid... If I had been a little less impatient (or a better organiser!) I would have asked for recommendations here in the first place! :oops:

Louishm - if I get more work needing a sparky for my garage conversion, I'll give you a PM (and a bacon butty or two!) :smashin:

Badger0-0

I only charge £120 per day. but back to the ops question, You don't need a certificate for electricity been disconnected from an outbuilding.

Realistic, albeit a tad low mate, IMO.
I bet you get plenty of work though :smashin:

Having said that, I don't know why I'm talking to you :mad:

I'm sure you know pipefitters hate sparks, because you can hang stuff off our hangers, but the opposite doesn't apply ;)

Only joking mate, I quite like sparks, as they seem to know the script :smashin:

Sanders79

Distinguished Member
Good to see this thread is prompting so much discussion amongst everyone, play nicely children ;)

Hi louishm - There is currently electricity running to the outbuilding, which is connected to the supply in the house, so from quickly reading a government leaflet I found on the interweb yesterday (which I might have misunderstood) it will need to comply with Part P because it's an alteration to an existing installation and is connected to the house's supply. It does seem a bit OTT to me, but then what do I know? That's why I ask the questions :)

The end of the story - the vendor has agreed to get a pro sparky in to disconnect it all appropriately, and it shouldn't cost very much, I guess it will only take minutes.

M2GX

Novice Member
I may be wrong and it's a while since sparking was my trade so do not follow current regs, but you are not doing an alteration, it's a disconnection. Now you may want a spark as you are not keen on dealing with electricity but as for certificate forget it. I don't know of any certificate that certifies something that doe's not exist. The spark will simply disconnect the tails from the Consumer Unit, 30 minute job tops.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom