Calling all Panny 6 owners with NTL Digital in Southern England...

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Jasonjo, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi All,

After phoning around nearly every Plasma dealer in the south of England, I cannot find any who are able to demo NTL digital with a Panasonic 6 series plasma.

Therefore, I am looking for any Panny 6 owners with NTL Digital in the south of england who wouldn't mind allowing me to pop over and have a look at their setup to get an idea of REAL-LIFE picture quality using NTL. I know it is asking a lot, but would really, really appreciate it. As you can probs understand, I am really, really reluctant to pay 3k only to find that the picture quality is awful (like Sky seems to be) and hence seriously regret my purchase :(

Thanks in advance for any offers and I am sure there are some of you out there that are dieing to show off your setups!!!! ;)

Please PM me if you prefer to keep things private...

Cheers

JJ

P.S. I am not a stalker and any offers would be rewarded with a few beers!!! :)

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Only one PM :(....maybe I am a stalker ;) :rotfl:

JJ

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    By the way JJ, the reason you can't find a dealer who can do this is cos NTL don't allow you to! Odd bunch in fact.

4. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the thing with NTL, it's picture quality is very much a lottery. If you are on a bad end of the street it will be rubbish and there is nothing NTL can do (unless they replace the whole cable in your street). If you have NTL already you can generally tell with your CRT if the picture is good or bad (ignore the colours and contrast. just look for the artefacts, sharpness, pixelation, solarisation). Plasma will just emphasize it. When I was getting mine I had a choice b/w NTL and SKY and went for SKY because with NTL you don't know until you are committed plus they have worst support and with SKY you are more in control of the PQ (just nag SKY to reallign your dish) plus there is an optical out. Normally, Freeview is considered the best option picture-quality-wise, but you'd have to live w/o premium channels.

I haven't seen NTL demoed anywhere. MAW is probably right.

5. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Jasonjo, you have PM.

6. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    the pic quality via comosite or s-video (if you can get s-video working is) is cack. I uprate mine through the 3803 to component and the quality is, well, acceptable shall we say.

7. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Just to say I use RGB SCART (I know, I know) and it is more than acceptable, especially on the more popular channels (BBC, SkyOne/Sports). I also get auto aspect ratio switching, which is nice!

I should add that is was vastly improved after Gordon did his calibration magic.

8. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Thanks chaps...your feedback is appreciated

Deman77 => yeah, my 32"CRT picture with NTL is very good, so things look good I guess - just wanted to have a personal idea before spedning the dosh ;)

lovegroova => you have PM back :)

Cheers

JJ

9. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have only recently changed from NTL digital to Sky plus but that was due to the sky+ features. I was pretty impressed with the NTL picture quality in our area (I have a panny 5), some channels were better than others (in the same was sky is). I'd actually recommend canning NTL and getting sky+ anyway but if you'd rather stick with NTL - the picture should be perfectly fine.

Cheers

Steve

10. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Cheers Merrit - shame I didn't post before you changed, as Hampshire is pretty close to me :suicide:

Yeah - I'd love to go for Sky+, but as I use NTL for phone, TV and Broadband moving over is a bit of a pain and about £17 per month more expensive. Still considering it for the future though....;)

Are you saying Sky+ is better than NTL on the picture front then?

JJ

11. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Jason,

I (still) have the NTL telphone & 1Mb Broadband and could never live without that! As for the sky+ it is LEAGUES better functionality wise... you just don't know how useful it is to be able to dual record two channels or live pause or rewind a live broadcast. Also, now that they have scrapped the extra subscription if you have a 'premium' channel pack I think its well worth it.

In answer to your orginal question, yes I find the picture quality is generally better, plus you get DD5.1 on some of the movie channels. My only complaint actually comes from my girlfriend - she watches Hollyoaks on channel 4 and for some reason that program seems to suffer with lip sync problems. Can't say that I've noticed it anywhere else tho. You're more than welcome to come over for a sky+ demo if you like!

Cheers

Steve

12. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Thanks again Steve :)

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Jason, I do the record/watch thing in a slightly limited way with a pace twin. New 60gb HDD coming soon!