Calling all Panny 5 / Denon Owners

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by AV Freak, Nov 7, 2002.

1. AV Freak

AV Freak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had today off work to play with the new toys and i managed to hook up my DVD via Component and optical out to the 3802 and then run component into the Plasma. Lovely, really pleased with the sound response.

However the problem has arisen when I try and connect the Video into the Denon via Scart (from video) to S video (VCR1 input on the Denon) and then into the Plasma via a dedicated S-video out from the Denon. Nothing happens, no sound, nothing.

I am using Prowire connections which work a peach on the DVD but this has me stumped. Even changing the input selection on the Plasma to show S-Video input still displays nothing.

Very grateful for any ideas? Also would like to hear how others have routed their video through the Denon

Thanks

The Hardware description is as follows

Panny Plasma P5
    Kef speaker package
    Denon 3802
    Pioneer DV656 (DVD)
    Toshiba Stereo Video (about 5 years old)

2. DAUpton

DAUpton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am wondering whether the Denon is receiving a picture from the video. The reason being that I thought only S VHS videos produced S Video out whereas normal VCRs only produce composite signals.

Another theory is, can the Denon output 2 different output signals at the same time (i.e. component & S Video). I have not tried this with my 3801 as I have the component from my Tosh DVD straight into my Panny, my Sky + output through RGB to VGA using one of Dr John's boxes and my S VHS video & PS2 via my Denon using S Video.

3. Weird Wolf

Weird Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got 3802 but not Panny yet cuz I'm waiting ont the money from the sale of my old house! (bloody frustrating).
    Anyway, DAUpton is right here...VHS is a composite only format and does not output s-video signals even if you have an s-video connected SCART plug hanging off it.
    Composite out of the VHS into the amp, then composite out of amp into Panny is only way to go for VHS as the 3802 does not 'convert' from one kind of signal to another. Be careful if you have both s-video and composite leads connected to plasma as it defaults to s-video only and wont allow use of composite input (stupid i know).
    All the best!!
    :cool:

4. Weird Wolf

Weird Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got 3802 but not Panny yet cuz I'm waiting ont the money from the sale of my old house! (bloody frustrating).
    Anyway, DAUpton is right here...VHS is a composite only format and does not output s-video signals even if you have an s-video connected SCART plug hanging off it.
    Composite out of the VHS into the amp, then composite out of amp into Panny is only way to go for VHS as the 3802 does not 'convert' from one kind of signal to another. Be careful if you have both s-video and composite leads connected to plasma as it defaults to s-video only and wont allow use of composite input (stupid i know).
    All the best!!
    :cool:

5. AV Freak

AV Freak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all, I think I will bin the video and stick with Sky Plus into the Plasma via one of Dr Sims devices.

Next question, how to connect a PS2 to the Plasma?

6. Weird Wolf

Weird Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again,

PS2 can be connected to your 3802 using either the composite lead that came with it i.e. comp into amp then comp into plasma, or better still, PS2's output s-video and component (YUV) signals and you can buy the right leads from HMV or GAME shops....component is the better of the two so I'd go for this if I were you.

Of course, you would also need component leads from the amp to the plasma, and you need to select component output in the PS2 setup menu.

ta-ta!:cool:

7. Weird Wolf

Weird Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i forgot...

audio-wise, use an optical lead into the amp for digital greatness!
    this would also mean that any games/films with digital 5.1 sound will have full benefit!:D

8. AV Freak

AV Freak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Appreciate that, I'll play around tonight and let you know if it works.

I see you are in the market for a panny, just got my PW5 and it is very nice and would reccomend it to anyone.

Thx again

9. Weird Wolf

Weird Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep.....had my little eye on the panny 42" for a few months now. I'll probably get the £3000 Toshiba clone from Richer sounds (4 series) just cuz its cheaper and with silver finish it goes with the decor (which keeps the mrs happy!).
    I'll post a piccy when i'm all done just to show it off!! Cables buried under floorboards and into walls so it'll look sweet...just a shame cuz at the mo there's a bunch of cables just hanging out a hole in the wall where the panny will go. :(

10. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    No sound or nothing via the lead? I'd expect you to get sound, no matter what you did, so this says to me you've got the wrong type of lead. S-Video to SCART is different from SCART to S-Video. There's pin on a SCART connector that are for input, and other for output. Hence, you get leads with a switchable direction - which I'm now stocking becuase it's much less hassel for both of us!

Even when you do get the right lead, you've got to have the right signal. As standard VCR, and I think yours would be covered by this, would only output composite and not S-Video. S-Video would only be from a S-VHS recorder. The best you could get would be a b&w picture.

Can your amplifier convert composite to other video formats? I've heard that some Denon ones do. It would mean that you could just have the S-Video connection from the amplifier and would make things much more simpler!

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

11. AV Freak

AV Freak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Appreciate that, however this is the excuse i have been looking for to Bin the video and make the anklebiters watch kids vids in their rooms. I tried and now I will use the cabinet space to house the PS2!

Appreciate all responses, thanks for the various inputs.