1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling All Panasonic 50" Owners

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by loonatic, Jul 12, 2003.

1. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I am wanting to upgrade my 43" Pioneer HDE and have heard good things about the Panasonic 50"...but have not been able to view one. Have seen both the 37" and 42" models and like what I see.

So...any 50" owners out there care to give me their thoughts and opinions - good and bad.

I will be seated about 3m from the screen...this is fine for the 43" Pioneer...will the 50" Panasonic be too large ? what viewing distance would you recommend ? does the increased resolution nagate some of the need to sit further away ? Hopefully I will be moving in about 12months and the new room will be slightly larger...I hope.

I take it I should avoid the tuner box and possible use an iScan Ultra. I will be connecting my Sky+ box, DVD and consoles (PS/2, Gamecube & XBOX) but they do not have to be all connected at once.

Should I wait for the 6 series model ? anyone know when it's due ?

Cheers, Lee

BTW anyone local to Middlesex who wants to show theirs off ?

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Stoomonster has a 50" Panny & Iscan.....send him a PM, he always appears willing to share his thoughts :D

3. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have the 42" panny 4 series... and regulary see the 50" version in Empire direct

I would upgrade in an instant -- 'if I could afford it'

I love my 42" model, but the 50" looks much bigger, so if any kind 'rich' forum member feels sorry for me...I will glady accept

4. Ratoban

Ratoban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, viewed a Panny 50" yesterday @ John Lewis in Solihull, it was coupled to a Panny S75 dvd player using Ixos component leads and was absolutely stunning (They were showing the Phantom Menace and i must have watched most of it).I didn`t get to see it with any other source though.
    They also had a Pioneer 50" on display which imho wasn`t as sharp but i have seen it look better in other stores.
    Rob

5. BigH

BigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

I have the PW5 50" with the ISCAN ultra, all I can say is go for it!! There are lots of threads on this Panel so do your research.

Forget the Tuner, I just use Sky digital - fed through the ISCAN gives excellent results.

Regards BigH

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Lee

I'd wait on the PHD6 - its only going to be a couple of months and the new specs do make it more inviting; especially the reduction from FOUR fans to TWO fans.

Once you've had a Silent panel its quiet distracting when you get one that has fans fitted.

Best regards

Joe

7. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Could I just ask what the reason for changing from a 43" to a 50" obviously size is everything, but have you had any problems or complaints about the 43" Pio and so hence the change??

I'd be interested to know as I still saving for a plasma myself and the 43" Pio was top of the list.

Also what are you doing with the Pio, any chance you want to sell it on for a good price?? :)

8. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hey Joe,

I was comming to that decision myself...but two months is a long time !!

Have you any more details on the PHD6 yet such as a broucher or spec sheet ?

How realistic is the two months...could it be delayed going on Panasonic's past ?

Cheers, Lee

9. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    rscott4563,

I've had a few issues with the Pio HDE and my dealer has agreed to exchange it for me...even after I've had it for nearly 7 months...allthough I first brought my concerns to their attention over 3 months ago. Still top marks to them for their outstanding service :smashin:

So I thought I'd take the opportunity to upsize at the same time.

If I've learnt one thing since owning my plasma it's that they all have their pro's, con's and quirks and what's suits one person may not suit another.

So sorry no bargain plasma to be had here :D

Cheers, Lee

10. BigH

BigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Joe has a point about noise, however fans are not the problem with the Panny, it's power supply buzz. I have had mine changed after complaining bitterley to Panasonic and the current item is great. Yes it has four fans, but you can't hear them!! Even better the buzzing is non existent on this panel. Panasonic can get it right and when they do it's worth every penny!

WRT to the new version, well there will always be a new one coming, you have to make a decision at some point and start enjoying the superb images. If you wait for the latest version you will never buy one!!

Regards BigH.

11. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    BigH,

Could I ask you at what distance you view your panel from and what would you think to be the minimum distance? The reason I ask is that I currently sit 9-10 feet from my 43" and that is fixed so I will be the same distance from the 50". I was hoping that the higher resolution coupled with the smaller dot-pitch would negate the need to be any further away.

Also did you always have the iScan or was this something you added later and if so was it worth it. I am guessing you had it from the start due to not having the tuner.

As for waiting...well I would not wait indefinitely but two months is not that long if it would give me better connectivity options such as a SCART or DVI input. Plus I will be away for nearly 4 for those 8 weeks anyways.

Your views would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,

Lee

12. BigH

BigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Lee,

I view from 13-15 feet away; this is because it’s located in a fairly large room. You could sit on top of it if you like - That would be like an Imax experience!! Seriously sitting close to this screen is no issue the images are still smooth and pin sharp - this depends on the quality of source material of course, a panel of this size and resolution will show up poor material such as VHS VCR sources. I bought the ISCAN Ultra about 2 months after the panel, principally to improve Sky digital material, although it does a lot more. It does have on board a quality de-interlacer and chroma bug filter which also helps with non-progressive Scan DVD players. It's a nice piece of kit but at £800+ you have to decide whether you want to pay that much to improve Sky. Personally we use Sky an awful lot (as we have no tuner) so that's OK, plus the fact I bought it in the US on a business trip for just under £600 so that helped as well!!

It sounds like you will wait for the "6" which is cool; I trust they will keep to the delivery dates. It will be interesting to see the spec's, this DVI option is interesting ( I wonder how much more that will be!!) but only if you use computer sources until such time as more and more kit becomes DVI capable - The ISCAN is DVI capable already!! Contrast looks like it may improve the 42" boasts 4000:1 (5 versions are 3000:1). Let’s hope they don't cut any corners to get the price down.

I would strongly urge you to see it first and listen to the panel in a quiet room. There has been much talk in this forum about the famous panel buzz; Panny's have been noted for being nosier than the Pio. I have first hand experience of this; I am on my third panel. The first was OK (acceptable low level buzz); this failed after one month and was replaced with a new panel. Unfortunately this one buzzed noticeably louder, to the extent that I raised it with Panasonic and sent it back for them to check it out. As always they said it was "within spec", however I stood my ground and they offered me a full refund or a new panel. I took a new panel and this one is the quietest of the lot, absolutely superb. I'm glad I stuck with it. This sounds a bit of a torrid tale, however I must point out that Panasonic where pretty good throughout delivering replacements and having stand in panels throughout, I must also commend my dealer who was excellent providing fantastic service and support. BTW the company is called Ivojo (www.ivojo.co.uk). There may not be the absolute lowest price but they do provide excellent back up and tech support, well worth the extra!!

I hope this helps with your decision!

Good luck with whatever you choose.

BigH.