Calling All Nikon D50 owners what settings do you have on P mode

toxic mango

I bought the camera two weeks ago. It handles well however I find that on auto mode the photos tend to be a bit dark.

I suspect P mode would be best as it allows for sharpening, increased saturation, changing exposure etc.

Just wondering what mode you use and your recommended settings

Thanks

Sanjay

Yandros

Use P until you get more confident, then switch to Aperture Priority, with shutter priority for action shots.

If you post process in something like photoshop, it's actually best to leave sharpening, saturation etc at fairly conservative settings (or even off entirely), then adjust your levels in PS later. The exposure by default does tend to be a bit conservative on Nikons, as it's easier to rescue detail from shadow than from blown highlights.

If you're doing no processing externally, you'll probably want to up the saturation and sharpness fairly high, and play with the exposure compensation too.

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
Personally, I never use P mode - But as Yandros has said, use it until you become more confident. It does offer some flexiblity.

I use Aperture priority mode almost exclusively now, with a -0.5 stop EV compensation, shooting in RAW. That way I capture all the detail without blown highlights. I just find it far more controlled than using any of the auto settings.

Don't be afraid to use manual mode either though. I have to use it on my AIS lenses, and you very quickly get used to adjusting the exposure without thinking about it.

It's funny, since I stopped using autofocus, people have also commented on how sharp my photographs are. Makes you think :rolleyes:

senu

Distinguished Member
Why did you stop using AF?

With Canons USM lenses ( and with the 30D) I never have OOF images . I use manual if i notice a struggle ( with auxiliary AF in low light)
The ring type USM does do FTM focusing though so its easy to take over the focusing fairly quickly
I use the P mode unless a particular creative need indicated AV ( aperture) or Shutter priority
Manual mode maily for those tricky moon shots lately

Liquid ,
I did ask how you sharpen ( in your "sunny wales " thread.. still waiting:rolleyes:)

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
Why did you stop using AF?

With Canons USM lenses ( and with the 30D) I never have OOF images . I use manual if i notice a struggle ( with auxiliary AF in low light)
The ring type USM does do FTM focusing though so its easy to take over the focusing fairly quickly
I use the P mode unless a particular creative need indicated AV ( aperture) or Shutter priority
Manual mode maily for those tricky moon shots lately

Liquid ,
I did ask how you sharpen ( in your "sunny wales " thread.. still waiting:rolleyes:)

Three of the lenses I use regularly are manual focus lenses anyway, so I have no choice. I've also found that when I want to place my subject off centre I have to either choose my AF point or rely on the camera to do that. I just find it quicker and easier to do it myself - 10 years with a Nikon F3 taught me this at least ;)

Yes, sorry - I haven't answered you're question, I kept meaning to; you know how it is. I'll answer here if you don't mind to stop bumping that old thread over and over.

After resizing, I either apply an unsharp mask of about 50% at 0.3 radius and 1 threshold (I think thats my settings, I'm not at home) or I want to selectively sharpen I use the highpass overlay method which I can erase as necessary.

What I don't do is sharpen the orginal sized file at all. If you sharpen, then resize and sharpen again, I find that you actually lose edge detail and definition.

With apologies to the OP

toxic mango

thanks for the comments will bear them in mind

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom