1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all NEC HT1000 owners....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bristol Pete, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Hi,

Just trying to garner opionions from NEC HT1000 owners.

Am demoing a unit tomorrow at a great price. Wondered what your thoughts are on the picture and more over, the screen door.

Is it noticable ?

Thanks,

Cap :)

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For me, yes. It obviously does depend on viewing distance though.

Being used to a HS10, I view from 1.5 times screen width. I'd suggest a minimum of 2 with the HT1000.

Other things to consider are the HT1000's offset & rainbows. Some more info in the HT1000 link in my sig.

:smoke:

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    OK thanks.

I can recall reading this review when you first published it.

Nice one,

4. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Personally I have no problem with the screen door. I watch a 7ft image from about 10ft away.

The picture is great and out of the box it is one of the best set-up projectors I've seen. With a little playing you can get stunning results.

To be honest though, if you are getting a demo, best you go in with an open mind and form your own opinions! ;)

And Kramer's review is about the harshest I've seen for the NEC and even then it isn't that bad!

Cheers
    Marc

5. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    I sit about 12ft away from a 7ft wide picture, and the screen door isn't evident to me.

The picture it produces is one of the most filmic I've seen - not too noisy and good colour reproduction. With an FL-Day filter and a little tweaking, you can achieve a picture that's within 90% of a good CRT projector, and that was said by Guy Kuo of Avia, so it's not a wildely innacurate comment by a clueless newbie. :)

I recently measured the contrast on my Ht1000 before I replaced it with an Optoma H77, and it measured 2000:1 (calibrated), though I seem to remember getting a better reading some time ago. The H77 out of the box was around 2300:1, and that's a far superior HD2+ chip, so again, the Ht1000 is no slouch with contrast, and with the FL-Day filter, the black level is one of the best I've seen.

At the price you're getting it for, you're getting an excellent picture at a gret aprice (IMHO). The off-set could be an issue, but if you use it as a dedicated 16:9 pj, then the 16:9 image can slide up and down inside the 4:3 display, so it's very flexible. You will get an idea of the off-set when you see it tomorrow.

Gary.

6. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Thanks Gary. Just waiting now.

Ive spent the day researching on here and over at the overtly technical AVS and I am looking forward to it. However, one slight concern would be the 'smear' on the colour wheel problem and the crackling bulb but as uczmeg pointed out, the unit is still under warranty and no different to cleaning dust blobs I suppose.

Occasionally remember that it s a 4:3 unit but the 16:9 resolution is ideal for my DVD collection which is 95% region 2.

Did you ever see the region 2 tearing issues on your unit, although I know that you do watch mostly region one.

7. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Hi Cap,

The lamp crazing may or may not be an issue, but Bytehoven in the US has successfully had his replaced due to faulty manufacturing process, so I don't see why it couldn't be used as a good argument for similar replacement under warranty here, after all, it's not a normal lamp failure, it's a manufacturing defect (if you have a lamp with the problem, you may not as this is a newer unit. I think they use the newer HT1100 lamp now). He sent his PJ back and as well as having the lamp replacedfree of charge, they cleaned the colour wheel too. The CW cleaning is pretty straight forward by all accounts - just remove the lamp and use cotton buds to clean it. The lamp is designed to be easily removed/replaced by the user, so is not a technical process.

I've just over 400 hours on mine, and so far no problems, but I actualy prefer a dimmer image so I won't be cleaning mine for a while yet. :) A good tip is to just clean the red and blue segments as the darker green can help reduce with dark area dither. I don't see any on my pj anyway though.

The tearing you mention was a first firmware issue with PAL and all HT1000s had the firmware updated which eliminated it. Any bought after Feb of 2003 should be later firmware IIRC. My R2 watching has increased recently, so I can confirm the tearing is no longer present.

Some new PJs like the Sony HS50 only have a years warranty, and you'll have 2 years remaining with this unit I believe, so you don't have to worry too much for a while yet. By the time 2 years is up, you could well be ready to upgrade to the latest (and probably cheaper) technology. I think I will as well. :)

Gary.

8. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Demo has now been delayed until Monday :(

Ho hum.

9. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Demoed the unit earlier, after looking at a couple of films with the vendor who was reluctant to let it go I bought it.

A great PJ at a great price. Sorry to see it replace my HS10 but thats life. Overall, the throw was a big factor as far better in my lounge.

Oh and yes, I concur, no screendoor to view.

Thanks,

10. mrapbp

mrapbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Glad you like it m8, hope you enjoy and nice to meet you!

11. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    :clap: Nice one Cap!

Enjoy!

I still find that price quite upsetting! :suicide:

Cheers
    Marc

12. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Ha ha,

Now the real fun starts. Just gonna watch some films and enjoy. Though may finally buy AVIA or DVE to set this one up.

Thanks,

13. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Just setting the white and black level can make a big difference, so a few quid for a set-up disk is well worth it imho. :)

Gary.

14. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Hi Gary,

Have to say that this PJ really is superb. Will post some screenies soon but waiting on my Denon :)

However, can you answer a slight query for me?

I have set the screen mode to 16:9 in the advanced menu and then select full as the picture. Can you confirm if this is the best setting for PAL DVD resolution.

I suspect that it is but would like the opinion of an expert.

Thanks a lot,

15. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Hi Cap,

I'm not an expert by any means, just a guy who types a lot. :) Thanks for the vote of confidence though.

That's the way I had mine set-up, and I did try 4:3 mode with various options but couldn't see any improvement, so that's how I left it (same as you have it now).

I think the only way to improve the sharpness further is to use an HTPC and output a 1024 x 576 image via Powerstrip so that you have genuine 1:1 pixel mapping, but I alway felt the image was very film like using the 1024 x 576 output and letting the pj do the work that I never bothered to try it. I think you'll be happy with the image from any source though. :)

I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed mine!

Gary.