1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all M&K owners - advice needed please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rags, Aug 16, 2003.

1. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Hi all - I am having some trouble selecting speaker wire to go with my M&K 850 speakers. I have tried a few but have not been able to put my finger on one that stands out.

Which speaker cable do you use with your m&k's and why did you chose this specifically ? Please help - I am willing to give anything an audition - just need some more options so I can get it right.

Also I have a Rotel 1095 amp - I am also looking for interconnects - currently considering Ecosse the composer and QED Qunex 2. I there anything else worth trying ?

Thanks
    Rags

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi

I'm using Chord Carnival with my M&K's. To be honest I just bought it without auditioning a few years ago via the internet and haven't felt the need to change it. Before that I had tried some Audioquest cable and felt it a bit too bright with the speakers I had at the time. Also tried other cheapo cables and also some CAT5 that I made up. The Chord seems the most neutral and isn't crazy money either. :)

For interconnects try www.scorpioncables.com I've replaced all of my Chord stuff (Prodac Silver+, Chameleon2, Cobra2 etc) with these. Very good cables indeed!

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,987
    Jase thats spooky, I have two lengths of the Chord carnival on loan to try with my M&K750s and it is a very good cable which helps cut the overall brightness but keeps the finer detail present with music and movies.
    And I am also just about to trial the Scorpian Analogue cables between the Tag and Rotel.

4. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Ok guys - two rec's for the chord carnival - definately going to give it a try. How much does it cost per metre ? Also I didnt know that scorpion give you cables on trial ?

I went to a local hifi dealer today to try out the QED Qunex 2 interconnect - he insisted that it was not the one to go for. He's instead lent me an interconnect called Atlas Equator which he thinks is fab. I have my doubts as I have never heard of it but going to give it a whirl tonight.

He has also given me some Chord interconnects to try as a comparision but he reckons they may sound good with m&k (I actually had heard the opposite).

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    rags

The Chord Carnival cable is about 3 quid per metre.

6. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,987
    I trialed chord cables and they are very detailed, but did have a slight edge to them which sounded a bit bright on the 750s.

I am paying for the cables from Scorpian, but if I dont like them I am sure to sell them on.

7. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Jase - thats very reasonably priced so will give it a try.

Phil - why are you giving th scorpion cable in particular a try with your M&K's ? And how much are they ?

Thanks

8. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,987
    They are £21 each. I have heard good things about them, with many swapping from Chord (£80 pr)which I use at the moment, so I will give them a go.

9. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    i used chord oddysey until recently with my M&Ks. its a fine speaker cbale but can be a tas bright, hence the change to a fuller bodied Audioquest. i use nordost interconnects throughout and a chord coax digi cable, until i replace it with a nordost moonglo;)

10. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    I have my Lexicon connected to my Rotel with QED Qunex 1s (purely because they were the interconnects I already had).

Am I likely to hear a difference if I changed then? Must admit, at approx £20 per cable, I really don't want to shell out £60 just to see if there IS any difference. It's this point that my cynicism about cables starts nagging at me.....

11. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    my local dealer always allows me to try cables before i buy and its a VERY useful service all dealers should offer. i admit to having spent over £1k on cables but i have spent approx £16k on equipment and its really makes a difference to your system. however, its all in about trying and seeing for yourself, see if your dealer won't let you borrow/loan cables to let you try first!

12. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Well I had the day off today - so I sat down and tried over the course of 4-5 hours a number of interconnects between my DSPA2 and Rotel 1095. Cables do actually sound different !! These are all what I would call "reasonably priced" cables -

1. Atlas Equator.
    2. QED Qunex 1
    3. QED Qunex 2
    4. Ecosse the Composer
    5. Van den hul the Bay C5
    6. Chord Chrysalis

After all that I have decided to go for the Van den hul - to my ears the midrange / vocals was the best of the lot by a margin and the top end whilst not loosing it's brightness was slightly rounded off and consequently smoother.

The Chord and the Ecosse sounded very sharp to me - extreme highs were a bit piercing.

Didnt like the QED 1 much - vocals were much less dynamic than the others. Didnt like the QED 2 either but couldnt quite put my finger on the reason.

Surprisingly the Atlas Equator sounded very good indeed. It had the fattest bass of the lot but the VDH's vocals just edged it for me.

Also I have picked up a couple of runs of the chord carnival cable (looks like a power chord to me !!). Have just started to listen to it so am going to reserve judgement until I demo it some more. Thanks for the advice chaps.

13. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    Oh you bastard!;) Now I'm going to kill you for making me go and spend MORE money!:D

Not sure who in Cambridge would let me try a load of cables on my setup. How much did the Van den hul cost?

14. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    oh and....did it really make a NOTICEABLE difference?

15. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Smurfin - the Van den hul costs £40 a pair. You dont really need to but three pairs as you can get away using them just for the fronts and the centre (although I have bought three pairs as I didnt have any decent interconnects to begin with)

If you can also try the Black Rhodium Rhythm cable as someone I know was going on and on about it but I couldnt listen to them on my setup as he lives about 300 miles away and there were no dealers locally who had a demo set.

Try all of them before you get your wallet out though - they may sound very different to you - my cousin who was with me preferred the sound of the Atlas (but he is into all sorts of rap music so that figures given it's generous bass).

16. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Between the best and the worst definately yes. Between the Atlas and the VDH - very marginal.

17. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    And the QED 1s were the worst LOL:(

Oh well, I think I'll wait until I've moved (4 weeks friday) and my dedicated room is set up before I start buying anything else.....

18. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Good thinking.

FYI - to me the Ecosse was the worst (you could shatter glass with some of the highs!!!).

19. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    did you get to listen against any of the "freebie" type cables? when i bought my Nordost red Dawn, we tried it against a cheapie type and then a QED sivler spiral and the differences were HUGE!!!gets ready to be flamed...:)

20. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Just think, if you purchased powered speakers, all this speaker cable voodoo would be totally insignificant.

I order you all to swap immediately:D

Adz

21. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Yes I did - I was using the phono leads that came with my video camera for one week or so.

Sounded almost metallic - pretty awful in comparison to what I have got now but still better than the Qunex 1 (only joking Smurfin !!!!:D )

22. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I order you to buy them for all of us immediately ! Put me down for the M&K's :smoke: :D