1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all Lumagen owners

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by lscolman, Feb 12, 2005.

1. lscolman

lscolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hi,

I've recently upgraded from an iscan ultra to a Lumagen vision. I find the picture quality outstanding, but...

I'd like to hear from other owners with regards what I call the 'slowdown' on PAL TV material. By this I mean, when watching broadcasts the material moves between film and video processing. This problem is visible on mostly on BBC transmissions, like Eastenders and Football, but daytime DIY programmes also really suffer badly.

I have a thread on the forums at:-

http://www.convergent-av.co.uk/foru...t=0&rid=95&S=c1124e0fbb18387a2b3922de4da92287

Three other Lumagen owners have reported this problem, and they own the newer units.

I use the latest firmware and use the genlock function.

I'm looking to find if particular setup's aggrevate the problem.

I use a Netgem freeview box with component video out into a Denon A1SR with component out routed to the Lumagen. From the luamgen I use a VGA to 5BNC into my Model 4 Panasonic Plasma. I use 600P@50Hz.

Also, if anyone knows of any work being carried out by the television broadcasters, that may be causing this problem, could they post a reply?

Cheers, Lee

2. lscolman

lscolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hi,
    Just thinking it would also be helpful for owners of Lumagen kit that does not show the problem to reply. This may provide an in sight into kit that may aggrevate the situation.

Cheers, Lee

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I get it as well but it's most noticeable on BBC (Eastenders). The image will stutter for a moment. I have the Lumagen Pro S being fed S-Video from a Grundig GDS3000 Skybox. Output is 600P @ 50hz via RGBHV (5 x BNC) into the VGA input of a Panny 42PWD6. I've not tried using Genlock.

To be honest I find that the combing I get on some PAL Sky stuff is far more annoying.

4. lscolman

lscolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hi Jase,

I've got the lumagen powered up by the Denon now, and solves my problem with Genlock.

It may be worth you keeping a track of the thread above, as I will keep it updated with any follow up from Lumagen.

There must be other Lumagen owners out there. Come on guys...

Cheers, Lee

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Nice one Lee. I'll keep an eye on that thread. :)

6. Twan1

Twan1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi lee,

I've noticed the slow down too on pal tv though it hasnt bothered me too much.
    Im running a a basic Amstrad sky box via scart to 5bnc into my Lumagen Pro HDP which is then connected to my pio 50mxe1 via a DVI cable.

Its a fairly new set up so i would have thought i have up to date firmware.
    Plan to get gordon over end of the month i hope to calibrate it so i'll see if he can sort it out though?

7. lscolman

lscolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hi Twan1,

This problem with PAL slowdown won't be corrected by calibration.

I have sent Patrick at Lumagen some PAL material on DVD, and the I believe the current thinking is to either make the routine which looks at Film and Video material more resilient, or to allow a menu to select between Film and Video mode, so it is either in one of the two modes, which takes away the need for the Lumagen to make the decision in the first place.

Gordon informs me that they want to get to the bottom of what is causing the problem, as well as offering a possible fix.

It's also worth noting that the newer Lumagen units have more control over these things, as the original lumagen vision has only 2 chips which can be manipulated. The newer models are much more flexible.

It's more than likely that the newer models can be fixed, but I hope that the original owner's aren't left out in the cold, but let's wait and see :)

Cheers, Lee

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    Sky is getting far worse for this, I used to run a vision and it only happened very rarely, but started happening more and more .
    I sold my vision when my CRT went and then used a BenQ dlp for a while with no scaler at all and then a Panasonic PW6 again with no scaler without these problems, however I have just added a Crystalio and I have a setting called Film Bias with a scale from 1 to 9, if I set it to 1 (lowest) I never get the slowdown and it still detects Film mode OK. The only time it gets tripped up is when you first change channel onto say Sky Sports News or a channel with a ticker tape (ie scrolling graphics over studio), the slowdown occurs for a couple of seconds until it sorts itself out.

9. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    You'll find that Lumagen freely admit that PAL isn't 100% yet, although I thought this only applied to the latest models.

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
  11. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    From what I've read over at AVS I believe there's a PAL update on the way soon :)

12. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I've probably missed the post , but any news on the Lumagen PAL update yet? Are all the PAL issues now fixed?

Thanks,

Colin

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Hi Colin,

There have been significant improvements in performance since then. As with all scalers nothing is perfect and as and when little artefacts are pointed out the guys at Lumagen will continue to evaluate the cause and seek a cure. The last updates in picture performance were pretty cool.....I'm looking forward to the next lot.

Gordon