1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all loewe owners.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by GalacticaActual, Jun 7, 2004.

1. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Hi all.
    Does anyone with a loewe tv have any problems with it? specificatly a pinkish tinge along the far left and far right of the screen. I have seen this on ONE Loewe Nemos tv and have seen on this forum that a couple of other people have had it on their aventos tvs. Is this a common fault or just a few isolated incedences?

The reason I ask is that I have ordered a Loewe Nemos tv and wondered what I should expect.
    Many thanks.
    Dave. :D

2. holocaust

holocaust
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there.
    I own a Loewe Articos TV and to be honest I can't say I have seen a problem with any color tinge at all when viewing either TV, DVD or satelite.
    However I can confirm that my articos with chassis/firmware version 2.5 does display the moire problem when viewing region 1 disks. I can only notice this when close up though and not from my normal viewing position approx 7 foot away from the TV so Im not too worried about that. The TV overall is excellent though and Im very pleased with it as far as picture quality is concerned. I also use it for console gaming and as a PC monitor via the VGA card and so it gets a lot of use!

3. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I know its mentioned on another thread but what exatly does a moire pattern look like on the screen?
    Anyone else out there whith the pinkish tinge problem on the side of the screen or the dirty screen effect that others have mentioned that effect other brands of televisions?

4. holocaust

holocaust
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    David

This information is from a post done sometime ago by Groundy. This gives details as to what moire looks like. This was on a Loewe Aconda chassis 2500 (same as my Articos). Hope it helps. If you do a search on these forums for LOEWE MOIRE you will see a couple of excellent posts by Groundy, one of which is a kind off fix for the problem that you have to do via the service menu. I didn't bother on my Articos simply because from my viewing position they are not visible at all

"Model:
    Loewe Aconda 9381ZW
    Chassis: Q2500/H

Problem Description:
    When viewing NTSC DVDs there are curved “moiré” patterns visible on the left and right hand sides of the screen. These circular patterns are about 10-12cm in width, but can change a little in size and shape as colours and brightness levels change during films. They are only clearly visible on some colours (mainly light grey, light blue, brown and cream colours). Whenever these colours are present at the sides of the screen the patterns are clearly visible and very distracting. They are not visible when the screen is showing a black background (unless the brightness is turned up too high). This problem is not present at all while viewing PAL material"

Loewe Aconda Moire

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Ok , I see what it all means now.
    Thanks.
    My nemos arrives on friday (hopefully). I will post again to let any one know if there is any problems with it. Hopefully there wont be and I wont get any more sleepless nights ! :)

6. Arri

Arri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No prblems with my Nemos. I haven't tried a NTSC DVD yet though.

7. holocaust

holocaust
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    David
    Im sure you will be very happy with your choice of Television. As previously stated my Articos gives a great standard definition picture, arguably one of the best out there. I have friends with varying models of 32" widescreen TV's ranging from JVC, Thomson and Panasonics and they have all commented on how good the picture looks on my Articos (and then asking me how much and where they can get one from!). I spent sometime researching also before buying the Loewe and I don't regret buying the Articos one single bit.
    Like everything though its not perfect - no progressive scan in (unless you have the optional VGA card), sound not particularly brilliant (although my sound is routed to my AV amp and then to external speakers so I rarely use the TV's speakers). Also I have found the Loewes do like a good input source device to get the best out of them as well. Hook up a good DVD player via RGB into the TV and the results are usually excellent. I also spent sometime adjusting the picture settings (contrast, colour, sharpness etc) until I was happy with the results.
    Hope your delivery and install goes hassle free and that you enjoy your TV as you should do!
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

8. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Thanks.
    Its coming on friday,I will post a review and thoughts then. :D

9. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Just a very quick post on the nemos out of the box.
    After a few minuets it made 2 craking sounds and the picture moved in time with it. there is also a red splot of colour in the left hand top corner of the screen. The geomatry is not bad but left to right the lines bend slightly down then up on a cross hatch patern. top to bottom is quite good with only a light curve on the bottom left.
    Using the digital video esentials dvd I have noticed a very slight dirty screen water mark effect. This is especialy evedent on camera pans against light back grounds. Having said that I think I would be hard pressed to get many other people to notice this, Including any engineer thaey might come out to see it!
    All in all my first impressions of this set are not overly good. The problem with the geomatry will probably fall within the makers tolerences and the dirty screen efect will be hard to point out.
    I will give this set a chance to impress me though. I will watch a few films on it over the weekend and see how we go.
    The questions are, can I put up with a few little niggles, Would I be able to exchange the set with out convincing an engineer of the problems? and can I be bothered to go through even more hassle and exchange for what would be a fourth set from two retailers! :(

10. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    OK.
    Had the tv since friday afternoon now. Here are some more thoughts.
    The patch of dicolouration in the top left corner of the screen is only really visible if bright red or yellow is on display in that particular part. It has got better since friday but has not completely disapeared. Should I expect an engineer to come out and degause the screen? Does any one have experince of dealing with tv and video direct, the company from which I purchased the tv, and the aftersales care and service?
    The geomatry of the screen is not as good as I would have expected. It is a 32" screen so it does not notice as badly as the same problem would on perhaps a 36" but there is a noticeable dip then a rise going from left to right.
    Using the service menue and a copy of digital video essentials I have managed to make the lines straight from top to bottom . There does not seem to be an option to make left to right lines any straighter though.
    Using the digital video essentials dvd I tested the screen with an all white signal. You can see what looks like some kind of watermark and dirty screen effect in the picture. Again and like I said on my other post, would and engineer sent out by tv and video direct see what I was talking about?
    Now lets get down to the picture itself......................................................
    It is one of the best I have ever seen. Bearing in mind that the television has not had all that much time to (settle in) I am very impressed.
    I have watched so far a simpsons dvd region 2 pal, showdown in little tokyo region 2 pal, the godfather region 2 pal and exit wounds REGION 1 N.T.S.C.
    There is no moire pattern that I have been able to see on the n.t.s.c signal.
    I have also played clips of the matrix and under seige both n.t.s.c and still there is no moire pattern , Trust me I looked very hard!!!
    The pictures from all these discs and sky digital with an R.G.B feed do look very good indeed. Hardly any smeering or artifacts and hardly any motion juddering on fast and slow camera pans(this is some thing which really does p :censored: me of with 100 hrz tvs).
    So in conclusion what should I do?
    I got rid of a sony kv36fs76u because of problems with rgb. I sent a thoshiba picture frame back to vernon collard because the screen dipped in the middle so much that it looked like it was smiling at me! I replaced with a panasonic tx36pd30 which in my opinion ,and I stress this is just my experince, had to be one of the worst T.Vs I have ever seen with at least five major faults. So now I am on to my fourth set which is the Loewe Nemos 32 ,which apart from the geomarty and slight dirty screen and colur patch problem, is quite a likeable set.
    I would apreciate any input from anyone out there on weather you think I am being alittle bit to picky. Also any one who has had any experince dealing with the aftercare of tv and video direct and what I sould expect If I do decided to star complaining about the tv.
    Many thanks.
    Dave. :lease:

11. holocaust

holocaust
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave

I would definatly call an engineer from the symptons you have described.

Unfortunatly I can't be much help as so far (touch wood) I haven't needed an engineer for my Loewe Articos 32". Which is why I sung its praises so much in my last replies!
    I take it you have changed some of the tint settings under the picture menu as this adjusts settings for red and blue color bleed slightly (I don't think it will be anything this simple but at least worth trying and crossing off the list?).
    Do you get the same results if you try S-video instead of RGB from your DVD player? Again probably worth checking just to ensure that the problems occur with any signal format you use - at least this way it would most certainly point to a fault on the TV which you can then add as more ammunition for getting an engineer out.
    No moire though which is good, however no good if you are not happy with the rest of the set though! A pity because I do think a good loewe really does give an excellent picture. It seems from what I read on these forums its becoming exceptionally difficult to get a good TV nowadays without a fault. :(

12. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Just spoken to tv and video direct. I dont hold out much hope. Was told the geomatry problem was with in tolerance (CAN BE OUT BY 10MM!!!!). Also the guy I talked to said he was goig to speak to the tec people at Loewe about the pink splodge and the dirty screen effect.He said he would get back to me by the end of the day so I will post again and let every one know what is going on.
    You can put a man on the moon.Transplant organs.Fly at supersonic speeds. But it would seem impossible to buy a decent television set!!!!!!!!
    I think i'll just go read a book!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

13. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Well,
    being given the round around by tv and video direct . Have waited 3 times for call backs from the tec department and still nothing. Aparently they want to check out this problem with loewe, fair enough but that wont stop my tv looking like I am watching the picture through a dirty window!!!!!!!!! :thumbsdow

14. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you buy the tv via the internet or mail order, or did you actually visit the shop?

If you bought the set via internet transaction, distance selling regulations will apply. This gives you the right to return the set within 7 days if you're not happy with it. I would definately consider this option if you don't get a satisfactory response from the shop.

Good luck :thumbsup:

15. helicon2

helicon2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry to kinda hi-jack the thread but Holocaust, where did you buy your Articos from? The reason I ask is that I have just ordered my Articos from 'TV and Video Direct' over the phone - although I'm not actually getting it delivered until the start of September - I wondered if you had any problems with them or the TV or setting it up etc?

16. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Nice to see some replies to the posts. :)
    I bought the tv over the phone using a credit card. The creditcard company said that if I had any problems with the tv and did not get any satisfaction that they would step in.
    After speaking to tv and video direct again to day thay have agreed to exchange the set for another one. :thumbsup: This is good, as like I said in an earlier post the actuall picture quality is very good . Its a shame that even LOEWE, who have had a very good name on this forum, cant get it right all the time!! The exchange set is coming wednesday. I am to phone tv and video direct to confirm the time on tuesday. I am hopefull that this tv will be the one to keep me happy :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

T.Vs so far.
    Sony kv36fs76u
    toshiba picture frame 2 36"
    panasonic tx36pd30
    Loewe Nemos 32.

Perhaps I should start to take bets on wether the exchage set will be any good!!.
    I would be very intrested to hear from any one else who has had the dirty screen effect on their television especially if it is from Loewe. I would like to know if it is very common or if we, because we know what to look for, are going to see it on an increasing amount of sets.
    I will post again once I have the new Nemos and let evry one know how its going and just how much hair I have left after pulling most of it out :laugh: :laugh:

17. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Well,
    next wednsday cant come fast enough. Dont know if it is because I am looking for it but that dirty screen effect really seems to be standing out. It can be seen on any pure colour source including colour bars on the red and yellow and white. All camera pans on all prgrams and movies seem to show it as well. Perhaps I am going raving mad :zonked: :eek: :p

And also I am starting to feel anxious that the replacment tv will have the same faults or BE EVEN WORSE!! :eek:

Has anyone had a second or third replacment set that has been better than thier first one?
    Has any one had any problems like this with their loewe set?

Looks like this thread is also rapidly turning into my own personal log of adventures in tv fault land :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anyone care to coment?
    I would like to keep this going at least untill I can put Up a review of the next loewe Nemos I recive.

18. holocaust

holocaust
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ace2

I bought my Articos from a Loewe dealer in Ipswich where I live. I went in and demoed quite a few of the Loewe Televisions and it was the Articos and Aconda that I really liked and took my eye. In the end I went for the Articos because in my opinion it was the better looking set and I could just about afford the extra for it! (nothing technically different between the two though).
    No experience of TV and Video direct Im afraid!
    The only problem I do have, as previously mentioned, is with the moire pattern effect when viewing region 1 DVD's. Maybe this is now fixed with the latest software as Dave said he didn't notice this effect on his Nemos. Apart from that the sets been excellent no problems at all and it gets a lot of use!
    Hopefully yours will be problem free as well and if it is, Im sure you will be suitable impressed. If you have any questions then feel free to ask and I'll try my best to answer them for you.
    Out of interest did you get the VGA card installed with this or are not bothering?

19. helicon2

helicon2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry David, we seem to be hi-jacking your thread!

Holocaust - I only purchased the TV with no upgrades (it was hard enough trying to convince the wife about spending that amount of money - although saying that, it was only £1600!). I did think about the upgrade but my current DVD player (DV-656A) doesn't output progressive and I just use my PC upstairs. I do have a few consoles though and believe you can retro-fit the VGA card so I may consider it in the future.

I've seen both the Aconda & Articos running together at Harvey Nicols in Edinburgh, they both had superb pictures but the styling of the Articos and the extra DMM mode sold me - even my better half couldn't believe the picture and she never normally says anything!

How about you, did you buy the VGA card and if so, was it worth it?

20. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Dont worry about hijacking.
    I said I wanted to keep it going at least untill My replacment set arrives.

Also Like I said on an eariler post if it was not for the problems I listed ,the actuall picture quality is very good on the loewe I have at the moment. As far as I have seen no moire effect on N.T.S.C discs , In fact if it were not for the off geomatry and the dirty screen effect and colour spot the tv would be almost perfect!!!!!!!!!
    I really hope that the replacment set thats comming is going to be the answer to all my head aches :suicide:

21. holocaust

holocaust
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Again Ace2, apologies again David !!

I did get my Loewe fitted with the VGA card as the dealer put it in for me for free as part of my purchase which was good of him! I have mainly used it for connecting my laptop upto and using it as a monitor and for that its fine.
    I would like to get progressive scan going through it at some point and try and make the most of it but like yourself, I only have an interlaced DVD player at the moment and don't plan to replace it anytime soon (as its actually a DVD recorder as well). Picture quality from that via RGB scart is very good but I know I'll want to play with progressive one day! Another project though!!
    Just a word of advice on some of the Loewe processing modes - the DMI setting is excellent and I generally have my TV set to this while watching Sky, region 2 DVD's and playing PAL console games. DMM mode I don't ever use - once you get your TV and test it you'll see why! It smooths out frames to such an extent that it looks like films have been shot on a home digital camcorder - its a strange effect indeed. I switch all processing off when viewing NTSC disks or when playing console games at 60FPS as the TV then de-interlaces the signal and shows it as progressive scan. Its not brilliant at this but its not bad either. At the end of the day you select what mode you prefer to watch in as we will all see things differently and its well worth experimenting. I just hope you don't encounter any of the problems David has seen with his Nemos.
    David - I hope your new set sorts out the issues - maybe it won't to all of them but lets hope it leaves you with with a set that you don't have to exchange again. Let us know how you get on again as I'd be interested in hearing your next chapter!

22. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Well,
    I hope the problems are sorted out with another set as well. If I can get one with better left to right straight lines and no colour spot in the corner I will be a happy man. I have a feeling the dirty screen effect might still be a problem as I have seen a couple of other loewe sets yesterday and they had it as well (although not as bad) so we will have to see what we will see.

You know, I dont ever seem to remember having any of these problems with my three other sony 50hrz tvs I had many years ago. Perhaps because I know what to look for now it makes me more difficult to please!!!!!!! :laugh:

23. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Right,
    Now , I am not going out of my way to find faults with this set but I noticed today that on camera pans the screen gets distorted on the far left and right of the picture. Its almost like a house of mirrors effect stretching and compressing the picture on the far sides of the screen. It happens in all picture formats and from all sources!!!!!!!!!
    God help me this replacment tv thats comming on wednesday better be the answer to my prayers or I am going to take a long jump of a short peer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

24. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Sorry to hijack this thread but how on earth do I switch from the AV extensions to analogue on a Aconda. I can preview them by pressing the OK button but when I press OK again I just stay on AV

25. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Sorry old chap , cant help you with that one. My loewe does not even want to tune into standard analog broadcasts. (just another fault i thought i would mention! :laugh: )

26. Jack Bowyer

Jack Bowyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One question - did you have your nemos TV installed from the dealer ?

Authorized Loewe stockists are given training (by Loewe) to calibrate their TVs on full install & delivery. You must demand this if your having geometry problems etc.

Also, make sure you have the latest software version (6.13) access it by pressing "I" and then select integrated features

Jack

27. Lester

Lester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The AV being constantly on may be down to one of the settings in one of the menus.

There's an option for "RGB Displays at AV2" or something along those lines. If this is set to "yes" then, for example, a Sky box plugged into AV2 will constantly display. Simply select "no" to cure this. Can't remember which menu it's in, but do a search coz I've posted this before.

If you're having problems because devices plugged into AV1 or AV3 are also overriding, then I'm stumped... :confused:

28. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Thank you gentlemen, your advice worked perfectly.

Does a VGA card allow progressive scan (PAL & NTSC)?

29. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Jack.
    The software version says 6.15
    The set was delevered from tv and video direct. It is an internet company and it came via a courrier.
    The television was FIVE HUNDRED POUNDS CHEAPER THAN MY NEAREST HIGH STREET DEALER AND THEY WOULD NOT PRICE MATCH! but i suppose you pays your money you takes your choice.
    I have adjusted the top to bottom geomatry myself using the service menu. there does not seem to be an option for left to right. In all honesty even if some one trained by loewe in calabrating their sets had brought it to me , they would not have been able to sort this problem out or sort out the dirty screen effect.
    Like I said on my other posts, with any luck the new one comming on wednesday will have better left to right lines and not such a bad dirty screen, which seems a very common fault with all 10hrz tvs. THEN AGAIN THE REPLACMENT COULD BE WORSE :lease:

30. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Jack,
    I take it you have a nemos.
    Whats your like? :)