Calling All Lg dlp owners

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by blasthand, Sep 6, 2004.

1. blasthand

blasthand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all,

After spending a weekend calibrating my new set I'd be interested in people's thoughts on this tv. Overall I'm pretty pleased with it. The image quality on DVD using component & progressive scan is superb, and the TV picture measures up OK as well as far as I can see. I have seen nothing as yet of the rainbow effects that some have with this set, nor any green dots/hues in black scenes.

My settings are as follows:

Contrast: 88
    Brightness: 82
    Colour: 47
    Tint: 0
    Sharpness: 0

I was aware before I received the set that the contrast and brightness would need to be set pretty high having seen some settings on another thread. Sorry, I can't remember your name or the thread, (contrast 76, brightness 70) but thanks :thumbsup: I was lost trying to calibrate it before I came across these! My setup disc couldn't get the picture anywhere near correct. (time for a new one me thinks!)

I have a couple of questions, if anyone could throw some light/personal experience on these it would be much appreciated.

I've noticed that the flesh tones can look slightly strange - I think someone else on another thread used the term "solarization". Is my contrast setting a factor contributing to this?

I've also found that on some effects there seems to be quite alot of pixellization (spelling??). For example, watching the WRC. The dust clouds the cars threw up showed this up fairly clearly. Is there anyway I can reduce this at all? Would reducing the notch filter to 0 (default 3) help, and if so, how does it?

I'm very pleased with the telly overall, and would be keen to hear what other owners make of it.

Thanks for taking the time to read :)
    Blasthand.

2. ianfretwell

ianfretwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Your settings sound about right to me. I think the skin tones issue you mention may in fact be slight rainbow effect rather than solarisation.

However, 'Notch Filter' ??? I don't seem to have this option, where abouts is it ?

Cheers.

3. blasthand

blasthand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Cheers for that.

The notch filter is under option 5 in the service menu (VPC 3230_Sub). Access the service menu by pressing menu on the TV and holding it and at the same time on the remote press menu and hold it down. The service menu will appear after a few seconds. I don't know what 99% of the stuff in there does so I left it alone - but I'd read on another thread that reducing the notch filter could improve the picture.

LOL re your comments on the rainbow effect. I suspect I am seeing this slighty then on my comments about the dust clouds watching the WRC. There's my ignorance for you...I had read so much about the rainbow effect I expected to see reds/greens/blues dancing across the screen :laugh:

Any brief info on this would be nice, just so I can shake off my ignorance :)

Cheers,
    Blasthand.

4. oliver24

oliver24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have this set, to be honest I am a little dissapointed with
    the picture quality I think the lack of contrast really shows up in
    darker pictures the detial really drops away

I have this conected to a Denon-2200 in Prog scan with a quality
    componet cable, and have tried to set with DVE disc but contrast
    still seams lacking

This replaced the new Dist JVC 32-d40 and maybe I was expecting the
    same quality as that CRT

5. blasthand

blasthand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Like I said earlier I'm happy with the set overall. Having had two Sony KP44PX3's before this which I had oodles of hassle with I'll go with the LG. I just wish I could do something to lessen the strange effect on skin tones...does anyone else notice this on their set? Is it a part of the rainbow effect? Answers on a postcard please :)

On the bigger picture I really think DLP could be the mutts nuts for TV's in 2-3 years. I've read already that there is talk of the next generation chips eliminating the rainbow effect completely - if they can sort that, combined with lower prices than plasma & lcd, and also the fact that they're much easier to accomodate than traditional CRT rear-pro's I'll be sorely tempted to buy DLP again in about 3 years - providing I can sanction an upgrade via the better half! :laugh:

Cheers,
    Blasthand.

6. oliver24

oliver24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean about the skin tones, I have noticed in good light a close up of a face is very detailed, but take the light away a little and well it just goes blurry like a oil painting effect, This is worse if the picture in the background is darker than the person in the foreground

To be fair though this is also a problem the segam has according to the review of both tv’s in "Home Cinema Choice Magazine

7. blasthand

blasthand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Oliver24,

Nice one mate - I've been racking my brain trying to think of the way to describe the effects on the skin tones - "oil painting" effect sums it up very nicely. That really is my only grumble with the set. Although it's the only set in the house I use it mainly for DVD, and have it hooked up via a good quality component lead with prog' scan, and that'll do nicely! :thumbsup:

I do notice the rainbow effect but only when things close to the camera go buy...ie someone walking past in a closeup, or the picture pans quickly - but it doesn't bother me that much. I know that some people can't deal with it at all to the point where it can make them feel ill.

For me it's a question of compromise (although it shouldn't be when you spend this much cash). The 44px3 had many problems, and the minor quibbles I have with the lg pale into insignificance compared to those. And I think on the positive side dlp technology is pretty new, things will only get better. And the biggest plus - it gets the thumbs up from the wife from a space and looks point of view. She's happy, my life's easier, I'm happy! :laugh:

Cheers,
    Blasthand.