1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all Iscan HD/HD+ Owners using SDI...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jasonjo, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi,

Looking for feedback on HD/HD+ owners using the SDI input. (check my sig for kit details)

I have recently had my DVD player SDI modded, but I am getting some strange issues. The main one being that the picture doesn't seem completely stable and the bottm half seems to jump upwards by a few pixels every now and again. You can see the entire image jump or skip upwards and sometimes you get a flash as a vertical white bar appears in the bottom left of the screen for a brief moment then disappears.

I am at HD firmware vesion 1.42 with a good quliaty SDI cable and all other inputs are fine. YUV from the DVD player is completely stable.

Anyone got any ideas???

Could this be an incompatability issue?

Cheers for any advice.

JJ

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Have you spoken to Els about it? Sounds like you may need to get them your scaler and player to look at.

G

3. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Yeah, he is on the case but he is not an Iscan dealer which makes things more difficult.

Hence looking for experience from other Iscan SDI owners...

JJ

4. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Would it not be just as likely to be the actual SDI mod. itself? Can you try your DVD player with a different SDI scaler to eliminate one or the other?

5. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The mod has been tested on Lumagens and Crystalios and appears to work 100%, just seems to be the Iscan HD SDI input - hence my post to see if other HD users had seen any simiar issues with SDI mods in general.

One of the DVDO chaps from the US seems to think this is an SDI input board fault he has seen before, hence I am in the process of getting a replacement SDI board. Fingers crossed :lease:

Cheers

JJ

6. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Hi,
    I've just bought a modded sky+ box with SDI and have similar problems with my IScanHD+. some programs are fine, others jump a lot, even from advert to advert, some are ok others are not. There is something in some broadcasts that the IScan does not seem to deal with properly, i'm not sure what can be different though, it's all 625i isn't it?

any ideas?

7. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    after a few more hours watching, problems can also occur with slow motion footage, when watching a football match everything is fine, then they show a slow motion action replay, and it all goes to pot, huge judder like you where converting 60Hz to 50Hz or something, you also get odd frames with big image shifts

8. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi chris (we meet again :) )

i only have dvd as an sdi source and the problem doesnt seem as drastic as yours...mine seems to only effect the bottom half of the picture. It is really noticeable on films with black bars as the bottom of the picture has a fixed line along the bottom of the image - if i pause the dvd it is easy to see the bottom of the image jump by 2-5 pixels or so. Every now and again i get the white bars on the left too.

Luckily yuv outputs still work :smashin:

Keep you updated on what Owl do for me. Have you spoke to them or plugged-in tv about it?

JJ

9. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Hi JJ, no not yet, pluggin only seem to have a naff web page for messages, no telephone number for a contact, they seem to push the Crystalio scaler, no mention of ISCan, I wonder if they don't mention IScanHD because they know it wont work with it.
    its a shame because the picture is so much clearer than scart otherwise, a big improvement.

10. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I think david is the main techie for them and the likely chap who will return your message (he's also a forum member). After first seeing my issue i mailed him about using their sdi mod (pms) with an iscan but he replied that he didnt have experience if it :(

JJ

11. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Hi JJ, if you are referring to plugin, they might know if different 'types' of sdi data stream are outputted by the sky box, presumably one of these doesn't work with IScan

12. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Guys

Reading through the thread it does seem like an IScan issue - though it sounds more like a software issue with PAL film/video mode detection than a problem with the hardware. Of course, pure speculation as we dont use IScan ourselves (we do though have customers using our Sky boxes with pretty much every video processor out there)

Hope you get it sorted out - if your IScan supplier needs a Sky SDI box to test then if you put them in touch with us we can work something out.

13. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Thanks Dave, kind offer.

Interesting thought, but I tried the SDI player with an NTSC DVD, so inputing 480i into the Iscan - I assume this would have removed the problem if it was a PAL film/video issue??? It may not be my issue, but maybe Chris' issues is related to PAL film/video detection though...

Chris - I assume you have tried adjusting all the HD settings for film mode etc.?

JJ

14. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    As an update, I have now tried a new SDI cable and even swapped out a replacement SDI input board - still getting the same issues :(

JJ

15. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Hi Dave, JJ
    yes I tried the 3 modes auto, film bias and other setting with no real difference, i dont understand why some footage is ok and other footage isn't surely sky transmit it all at 576i at 50hz (25i) not 24i so the sdi stream should be consistant.
    the main deinterlacer in the iscan will then do any pulldown required, this bit of logic must be ok as it is common to all inputs or else everyone with an iscan would have problems.

However, I was watching parki last saturday, everything was fine until he showed a segment from will smiths latest film and that jumped around continuously untill the clip finished and went back to the studio.

Dave, if I cant fix this am I going to have difficulties returning the box to you, I have not registered it with sky yet, so there wil be no problems there

16. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Dave, do you definitely know that people are using your sky upgrade successfully with an IScan?

17. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Chris

Yes - we have a customer with the Iscan, this is the quote he sent is when he got his sky box SDI enabled..

"Received my Sky+ back this morning and it certainly looks like it was worth the (long) wait. The picture quality (via iScan HD SDI) is great and the depth of colour is better than I have even seen on DVD. Very impressed."

I have just checked with him and he is using Firmware 1.11-5.6-1.42 in his unit and he is not seeing any problems.

As you have seen the SDI output offers a big improvement in image quality, so the best solution is to get the problem fixed! We can lend your supplier a Sky box, or they can lend us an IScan. Also the customer above is happy to share experiences with you - I can drop you an email with his details if you like.

18. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Thanks Dave, if other customers are having success then it must be a fault in either piece of equipment rather than design incompatabilites which is something,

One other point is that my tv Optoma RD50 RP can not accept 60Hz (NTSC) without judder effects, it is of course ok with 50Hz (PAL). the sky mod does not output 60Hz does it?, only 50Hz?

19. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Chris

correct, just 50hz. Do you want to send me an email to david at pluggedin.tv and I will forward the screenshots that our very kind IScan user has taken of his configuration, it will at least hopefully flag any obvious differences in your setups.

cheers

20. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Chris, maybe we have similar HD unit faults??? However, like me you may find that swapping the SDI input makes no difference, but it may be worth a try??

Can you do me a favour - when your Iscan booting or starting up when first powered on, can you press the enter button and see if you get an error code. I remember noticing this behaviour before my SDI input card was added. If I leave it to boot normally I get no errors.

The error code I get is ERR-FE00-C8-012A. Is this normal??? I only pressed the enter button by accident :eek:

Thanks

JJ

21. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    JJ,
    I did not get an error as you suggested.

I think my problem is with the sky box because it is only the bits of the picture moving that judder and go funny not the background. this sounds like an mpeg error to me.

22. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hmmm...even more evidence that my HD unit is looking a bit poorly :(

23. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    SORTED, SORTED, SORTED!!! :clap: :clap:

Not that i am pleased at all... :D

Turns out that i had two issues. Firstly there appeared to be a problem with my hd scaler as this would produce an error on boot and after powering off the unit it would cause the video output to "shimmer" until i did a factory reset and setup output settings again (u can imagine how painful that was each time!! :suicide: ). Since getting the hd swapped out by the lovely people at Owl (cheers David) both these issues have gone and I could concentrate on the SDI side of things.

Now i knew the hd was sorted, i got Elliot @ PJ to look at the SDI mod they fitted. After some investigation it appears that the iscan sdi input is very sensitive to the input level (compared to lumagens and other scalers that is...) so Elliot tweaked the SDI mod on my Denon and hurrah, an amazing picture, rock solid stable and no artefacts at all.

So, i have been revisiting my dvd collection and all i can say is...WOW!...i know these things are subjective and have a bit of an "emperors new clothes" element, but the picture just seems so much better than the YUV output (and my 3800 is no slouch with component either!). It is hard to describe differences, but there is more detail, colours are better, the picture is cleaner with less noise, seems a little sharper and overall much more "watchable". Even the wife agreed it was much better and she has absolutely no idea what i have had done (or how much it cost! :nono:

The other bonus is that i can now run my xbox via yuv on the high def kit and output 480p...this is so, so much better than 576i and i wish i had done it much sooner...doh!! :)

Anyhow, after quite a few weeks of disappointment i am now a very happy bunny with amazing pictures
    from all my sources, especially DVD.

Thanks to all those that helped me along the way, but special thanks to Els @ PJ whos commitment and customer service has been fantastic! If you want an SDI Mod, check out the power buys and get it done by PJ Hifi - you wont be disappointed!! :thumbsup:

Cheers

JJ

24. X3ELS

X3ELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Thanks Jason :thumbsup: glad your happy, your player did look stunning :eek: