Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Calling all Hitachi 42pd3000e owners

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by kenny.c, May 25, 2003.

1. kenny.c

kenny.c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couple of questions for other 3000e owners :-

1/ Is there any point feeding it a progressive scan picture as its a ALIS panel?? Has anyone tried it?

2/ What picture settings are others using??

3/ Are other owners as happy as me?

4/ Ive not come across this buzzing people talk about, has anyone else?

Thanks people

2. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    1) IMO, no it's not worth sending a PS picture to an ALIS panel as it has to put it back to interlaced to display it. Assuming that your player is better at doing de-interlacing than the chips in the screen.
    I found interlaced far better on the Fuji ALIS which I think is exactly the same screen although I can't comment on the electronics inside.

4) sit back and be happy

3. Sunil

Sunil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) Not tried it, but agree with Nick that in theory it shouldn't be as beneficial as for other plasmas.
    2) "Cinema" for watching movies, and "Favourite" with lower settings for everyday use.
    3) Yes, very happy.
    4) I never noticed it until I read about it on the forum. When I checked, I can only hear buzzing when I go right up to the back of the screen.

4. kenny.c

kenny.c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feed back - just wandering what other owners thought of thier Hitachi buy as all you seem to hear about is Pio and Panny panels.

C Ya

5. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    1) Not tried progresive somewhat broke after buying the screen.

2) I have tried to set up the scren using the THX optimiser and find the following seems optimum

Contrast 35
    Brilliance 40 (lower at night)
    Colour 35
    Sharpness 0
    Contrast mode Normal
    CTI Low
    LTI Low
    YNR Low
    CNR Low
    Black Stretch Low

Other views/explanations of the last 5 would be useful

3) Very happy
    4) Buzzing very low only audible within a foot of the screen with sound off

6. Sunil

Sunil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the picture settings, I have found the CTI/LTI/YNR/CNR settings to have negligible effects. The Black Stretch certainly does have an effect, but anything more than Low makes things too dark in dark scenes.

7. kenny.c

kenny.c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im Sure I read a mag review that mentioned the CTI/LTI/YNR/CNR settings were for weak signals (ie terrestrial signals) to help reduce solarisation and colour bleeding and that sort of thing. I too find they make little or no differance, but the black stretch option does.

Ive found excessive use of the black stretch option puts the hole picture into darkness, so have it set to low.

Sunil
    You say you use one of the factory picture options?? I dont know about anyone else but I find them ALL far too bright, and end up just using the user pre-set picture option

One last thing, im sure its me but when I first put the sceen on the blacks dont look black! But after a couple of minutes they seem perfect! Anyine else noticed this?

8. moeman

moeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kenny.c excuse the hijicking but can you confirm the speakers are detachable as I have a space in a display unit 1050mm wide?
    TIA

9. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    You have to attach the speakers to the screen yourself. Without them the screen is 103 mm wide. Hitachi sell seperate stands if you need them.

I planned to use the screen without the speakers but find they look good and are quite reasonable quality for occasional use.

10. moeman

moeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thnx chrise may just have to take the plunge.

11. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Moeman: Have you considered the Hitachi 42pma400e. Although it has no tuner or speakers, it has the advantage of being quite a bit cheaper, (less than £3K) Extra facilities over the 3000 include picture and picture/picture in picture modes, true Hi Def TV capability, and has an inboard amp if you need it. It can handle 4 inputs.
    Word has it tho, it is about to go up in price in June !

12. mw3cdj

mw3cdj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What is an ALIS panel ?? I have a pma400e has this an ALIS panel?? Sorry to hijack but dont see a point to start a new thread.
    Thanks.

13. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    ALIS stands for Alternate LIghting of Surfaces. The native resolution for the "1024x1024" ALIS screen used by Fujitsu and Hitachi is actually 1024x512. Two interlaced fields in the same frame are displayed one after the other to give the illusion of the vertical resoltuion being twice the native resolution.

Both the 42PD3000 and the 42PMA400 use ALIS panels. Can't comment on the 50" or 32" models though.

14. kenny.c

kenny.c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 32" Hitachi does

15. garreth64

garreth64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    1/ The fact that allegedly the PQ doesnt improve with progressive scan means I dont need to buy a new DVD player, which is good news.

2/ Still experimenting since I only got it on Saturday.

3/ Only got it on Saturday, but over the moon.

4/ Can only hear buzzing when sound is muted, and I stand over the screen so no problem.

I am not to keen on the preset settings apart from maybe Cinema, the Dynamic is awful.

However I am as chuffed as hell with it, and did I mention I only got it on Saturday!

16. john kelly

john kelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did any of you guys buy the june 2003 magazine, i am after the review on the Hitachi 42pma400e, i know you are all going to say buy the 3000e model but i am only after the 400 model, can anyone e-mail me the article its not on the web site yet, please help me my e-mail address is johnkellyryan@ntlworld.com:hiya:

17. john kelly

john kelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did anyone buy the june 2003 magazine, it reviewd the hitachi 42pma400e, i am thinking of buying one and missed this magazine, can anyone e-mail me the review.

e-mail address johnkellyryan@ntlworld.com:hiya:

18. kenny.c

kenny.c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good to hear you are happy Mark - Im very happy with mine aswell, best choice for the money for sure (by the way how much did you pay?) I think the tuner is alot better than most people give it credit for, and the speakers are easily up to the job as day to day jobbies.

Have you tried using the centre channel mode thingy?? Cos I dont know anyone who can get it to work very well? (Very quiet even with AV amp turned up to max on centre channel)

Keep us imformed what you get upto with your screen.

Enjoy

19. mw3cdj

mw3cdj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use the pma400e and progressive scan via a denon 3800 and find that the pc is smother and more defined

20. garreth64

garreth64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Cheers Kenny,

Its a great screen and I got a Very good deal (not allowed to say exactly) as my Mrs works in the AV industry.

Havent tried the centre channel thingy, or even looked at it yet. Does that mean it will replace the centre speaker from my AV amp? Might have a look at it.

Next project is wall mounting in a few weeks time.

Cheers
    Mark

21. kenny.c

kenny.c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yer you are supposed to be able to use the panel speakers as your centre, but I tried it with poor results cos even with my amp output at +12 i still had to have the TV volume at nearly max!! So ive gone back to my original centre speaker. Shame realy cos it would be quite usefull.