Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Calling all Denon DVD-A1 owners, please respond

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by IanW, Jul 5, 2003.

1. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Thanks for reading this thread, please take the time to respond as this is really doing my head in. :mad:

Firstly I would like to know when people bought their A1 and what are the first 5 digits of your serial number. I have been lead to believe that this has something to do with the manufacture of the player. However, I am confused as I took delivery of a brand new player only two weeks ago and the Serial number is 21215 - which I believe means 15 December 2002.

Secondly, some of you may have seen my previous threads about my A1 freezing during various films. The situation that I am currently in is that I bought a player last October, this then went away to have the new disc transport fitted to resolving the freezing problem, when this came back it was still freezing. Denon then decided to give me another player as they still could not find the problem, however, this also has the same problem. As I have said before, this is simply not acceptable from a player costing £2500!! :nono: I have to know whether anyone else is having these same problems or whether it just seems to be me. I am seriously considering asking for me money back or a different player, but I really want the A1, besides this fault it is simply an amazing player.

Thanks,

Ian.

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,039
    Hi Ian,

First 5 digits of my unit are 21015. I know it was manufactured in October 2002.

Its my 2nd unit.
    The first one was built 06/2002 an froze all over the place.
    The one I have now has been ok, except it locks up when I load Heat (Region 2).

Its been MR and PP enabled with firmware given to me by my dealer.
    Apparently the newer firmware only works on machines that have been fitted with the replacement laser, and have the new SE version of Denon Link.
    I think that with the new laser and the right firmware, the machine is much better... though not perfect (few players are).

Maybe your firmware is old and is causing problems.

However, I agree that none of this should be an issue on a £2500 player, and it seems that most people have had similar problems at some stage.
    What films specifically are you having problems with? If I have the discs I'll check them on mine.

If you have Heat (r2), perhaps you could try it and see what happens.

The frustrating part of this is that I've felt it necessary to keep my old Pioneer 737 wired up, which the Denon was supposed to replace. The trusty Pio hasn't put a foot wrong in 3 years!

3. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Hi Jules,

I do not know about you, but I find that the player will never lock up in the same place twice! :confused: We have been especially vigilant recently and have been looking out for the lock up. Every time we then rewind back to the place at fault it will not freeze again!!!:mad:

The one film that I have found always causes a problem is the layer transition on R2 Thomas Crown Affair. So far with the new player it has frozen on Deathwatch, Star Wars Phantom Menace.

Ian.

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,039
    Ian,

I have Star Wars Phantom Menace (R2) and it plays fine.
    What region is yours?

When I said 'Heat' locks up my player, I meant it actually 'crashes' the player when the disc is first loaded. Its not the typical 'sticking' problem.
    The machine needs to be powered down and you have to eject the disc as soon its powered back up or it just crashes again.
    Its the only problem disc I've found so far, but loads of discs were 'sticking' on the first machine I had.

Does your machine have the SE Denon Link, and what are your firmware numbers for ESS, DRV & PANEL?

Its a great machine when it works properly, so let's hope its just a firmware problem.
    I have a copy of the MR & PP firmware my dealer gave me.
    If you want to give it a try (at your own risk) I'll email it to you if you like.

regards
    Jules

5. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Okay, here is the info:

Serial 21215*****
    DRV 6193-2
    ESS 6235
    PANEL 6234
    ESS N625 (DISPLAY)
    Machine is Denon Link SE and has been multi-regioned.

Another question I always run my A1 in Pure Mode 1 with just the display turned off, how are you guys running yours? Could this be something to do with it? :confused:

Ian.

6. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Jules,

I have never had a disk actually crash the player before.

Ian.

7. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,039
    Ian

I don't bother with the pure direct modes. Its just too much of a fiddle to keep switching modes to make it do what I want it to do.
    Quality is fine without it anyway.

As for your firmware numbers, they are the same as mine except
    for ESS N625. Mine says P625.
    Is your machine Pal progressive? I thought that the 'P' stood for 'Progressive'!.
    Maybe your firmware IS wrong.

Also, don't know if you know but you should set the Video mode to 'Film'. Its set to 'Auto' by default and it really screws up the picture on some Region 1 DVD's e.g. Austin Powers.
    There was an article on it somewhere but I've lost it.
    Apparently 'Film' mode is what 'Auto' mode should have been.

If you want me to send you the firmware, just let know.

regards

8. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Jules,

I have changed the video setting and the pure direct mode switch, and will give this a go.

Not too sure about the 'P' and 'N' thing, the player has been multi-regioned and Progressive scan modded. I have to confess, I did think that my last player said P625, I will check some of my old posts.

Ian.

9. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Jules,

Set the film mode to film, as suggested, also put the pure direct mode into off. Watched R2 Crouching Tigger Hidden Dragon and all was well, watched R2 Fifth Element last night, and the player froze in 3 places!!! :thumbsdow

I have spoken with my dealer and he is going to give me his virgin R2 player; this way I can see if it is the multi-region that is screwing things up. The strange thing is though, I am only having problems with R2 discs! :rolleyes:

I cannot believe that no-one else is having these problems :mad: The dealer player will be my 3rd machine, lets hope that this is the final one. :suicide:

Ian.

10. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,039
    Ian,

I think this is one of 2 things:

1) You're firmware is not very well
    2) You've just been very unlucky with the discs you've decided to try. I've not got any of the discs you've mentioned, but I'm tempted to go and buy one to see what happens.

I have to confess, I played Superman 2 the other night, and in 1 place my machine paused (not repeatable) where I know the layer change wouldn't be! But it was very minor.
    I've got 110 DVD's and my machine has been ok with all except 'Heat' and this very minor hickup with Superman 2.

I've resigned to the fact that none of these Denon machines are, or will ever be, as dependable as a Pioneer. But the frequency and severity of hickups like this with the right firmware will be extreamly low.

If this still bothers you (understandable), maybe you should consider swapping it for a Pioneer 757. I almost did when my first machine was replaced! Its loads cheaper and everyone raves about its performance. Its now available with Pal progressive too!

But, I'd say stick with it.
    It wouldn't suprise me if Denon are trying to re-flog the many dodgy machines floating around first. Hoping that someone will buy one and not notice.
    On the other hand, now kicked up a stink you'll probably get one that works, and that makes it worthwhile.

Just my scinical opinion of course!

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. Hope it all turns out dandy.

Jules

11. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Jules,

I think that I really must be THAT unlucky. I have spoken to someone else with an A1 and he does not have any problems with his. I have somewhere around 200-300 DVDs and we watch a lot of films, I guess this must increase the risk of finding problems. I really do struggle to believe that this could be a problem with the discs as I cannot get the problem to happen again? Surely if there was a flaw with a disc it would happen ALL the time?

I really cannot bring myself to get rid of the player, I bought the A1 to go with my (K)AVC-A1SE amp, so I would not know what else to go for (maybe FMJ DV27, but I would want a new PAL PROG replacement version, a la DV89). I am keeping my fingers crossed for this weekend, and trying to stay ever hopeful. :zonked:

Ian.