1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

calling all denon a1sra owners

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stanleh, Jul 12, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Stanleh

Stanleh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi i own me one of these awesome amps and i read in a review that it can be used to power amp your speakers by doing the following
    Bi-Amp Configuration of Main Channels

Step #1: Connect a pair of analog RCA cables from the preamp outs of the "Front" channels to an unused input of the AVR-5803 (In my case, I chose VDP).

Step #2: Select the chosen input as the source for Multi Zone 2.

Step #3: In the Multi Zone Control menu, select power amp assignment for "Multi Zone 2".

Step #4: Using the internal test tones of the AVR-5803, position the SPL meter (slow response, C-weighted) at the listening position and increase the master volume control until each speaker reads about 75dB.

Step #5: Disconnect the speaker level connections from the "Front" channels at the AVR-5803 and reconnect them to the appropriate "Multi Zone 2" speaker level connections.

Step #6: Repeat Step#4 while varying the "Multi Zone 2" volume level. I found nearly unity gain correlation between the "Front" channel and "Multi Zone 2" amplifiers to be at the "Multi Zone 2" volume level setting of +2dB.

Step #7: Remove the jumpers on the back of the main speakers (you would be amazed at how many people forget to do this, Yikes!)

Step #8: Connect a set of wires from the "Front" channels of the receiver to the highs section of each of your front speakers and a set of wires from the "Multi Zone 2" channels of the receiver to the lows of your front speakers.
    :lesson:

Now i dont have 6.1 or 7.1, so that aint a issue, was wondering have any of you lads tried this and if you have was there a difference in your opion. The reason i am thinking of doing this is because at the mo i am biwired and i find the treble when biwired to be slightly too much on some cds.
    Does that sound about right, cos last thing i want to do is damage my amp.
    I have been a long time reader of these forums so hi everyone !!
    I am sorry for any spelling mistakes or grammar mistakes but i am tired.

2. Stanleh

Stanleh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    anyone please ?
    i really dont want to damage my speakers or amp.

3. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've "only" got a SR, not an A, but I'd have thought the same should work for SR owners.... not tried it myself mind, but it would be an interesting experiment - let me know you how get on ;)

Edit: Sorry guys, just noticed how old this thread is - dredged it up on search...