1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all Denon 2800-MkII owners

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by susiesutton2000, May 15, 2003.

1. susiesutton2000

susiesutton2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just spent hours going this forum for my player - the Denon DVD-2800-MKII. I paid £489.99 for it and it arrived with PAL progressive and multi-region with RCE compatability.

Since this has become such a complex topic, I've numbered my points for clarity (direct questions are in bold, bear with me and please don't hold back from replying if you've got this model and have something to contribute:

1. I too have the artefacts in Se7en (R2) just like all those other people in the previous threads (forum regulars will know what I mean, otherwise do a search - there's a 21+ page thread somewhere and more).

2. On lord of the rings 4-disc (R2), the black background for the opening credits is partiallly black, but mainly HUGE dark green pixels moving about and ruining my enjoyment.

3. I'm sure I'll run into the same problems as everyone else - e.g. Magnolia DVD. I've messed around with all of my settings - no joy. I'm using RGB scart connection. These discs work perfectly with a Sony DVD player that is half the price. I can't believe something as expensive as this is so messed up. I've contacted Denon by website e-mail - no reply after 48 hours, but I appreciate they must be busy. I try to call, but Product Support is always too busy and the switchboard operator had a nasty tone.

4. Has anyone with Mk-II sent their player back, or had the firmware replaced etc. to fix the problem. Howe do I check my firmware version? Has anyone received any e-mails from Denon about this?

5. The main thing I wanted was Pal Progressive to future-proof for a hopefully forthcoming Plasma. I think the Pioneer 757 is too expensive when modded for my budget. Ditto the Arcam DV88. I know the Toshiba's can do pseudo PAL progressive, but I know that this isn't the real deal. What will the Denon 2900 be like?

6. If Denon don't fix it, I'm going to get a refund - any tips on how to get a full refund and not make the unauthorised dealer I got it from twist it round to a 'player characteristic' or something to rob me?

Thanks if you can answer any of this.

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ah, that would be Brenda no doubt, she sounds not unlike Brenda from Six Feet Under :) .
    I tried several 2800Mk2 as " swap-outs " for my EIV Seven SE R2, Mulholland Drive R2, Contact R2 and TLOTR TFOTR Battle Of The Orcs R2 blocky artifact problems with 2800Mk1.
    The 2800Mk2's were no better than my 2800Mk1, but happily the problem was ultimately solved with a " swap-out " 3800.
    My DVD-3800 plays these tricky discs perfectly, your solution is a refund or exchange to DVD-3900 probably, already there is a thread on AVS with DVD-2900 problems.
    You may like to try a Philips DVD-963SA, if you are lucky enough to have a working sample it is excellent, also it has SACD, rather more useful than almost forgotten about DVD-A, which is why I bought one of these too :) .

3. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    susie you had any luck yet..

my 2800mk2 also has some annoying issues.
    what's denons policy on upgrades or replacements?

my main issue is the chroma bug
    which i now notice since upgrding to plazma.

4. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got my 2800MKII about 6 months ago, initially without pal progressive, I was unhappy with the general quality of the playback from the start it was most evident on certain movies with digital atifacts and blocking espcially with dark areas. The pal progressive update became available and I had my 2800MKII upgraded by my local store from where I had purchased it.

After this update my problems became worse, the poor image quality was still evident but now I was also having problems with the operation of the player itself. It would every now and again be playing a movie quite happily and then the image would start to seriously degrade and would blur and go black with just smears of light across the screen, when this happened I couldn't stop the playback or access any of the controls the only solution would be to unplug the player! Other times the player would turn on and operate fine except that there would be no display what so ever on the front of the player. The final problem I encountered was that when watching some films with pal progressive turned on the picture would break up or stutter in a band across the screen.

I informed my local dealer of these problems and they immediately sent it back to Denon for inspection and loaned me an old Sony, I think it was a 375 or something like that. What a change, the old loaner was as good as the Denon on most films and sooo much better on the ones that had been problematic with the Denon! (price difference of around 400)!!

My 2800MKII arrived back from denon after about a 10 days and suprise, suprise, the Denon technical department had been unable to find any faults :confused:
    I refused to take it back and my dealer agreed to exchange it for a brand new 2800MKII with pal progressive, at this point I probably should have just gone for my money back but I'd heard so much about how good Denon was and the saying you pay for what you get so I stuck with them (I've got a Denon 2802 AV and I think its great and never had a problem) the new 2800MKII is definitly an improvement on the old one i.e. no major breakdowns or picture problems, but the little nagging problems remain, the occasional picture problem with pal progressive turned on, and problems with lip sync now and again (and I'm using a CRT TV so its not the usual dvd-plasma lip sync problem).

All in all I've just lost confidence in the 2800MKII and that effects my viewing pleasure as I always feel like I'm looking for the next fault.... :(

So looks like I'm in need of a new DVD player, any suggestions??
    I'm not giving up on Denon as I've heard good things of the new 3803 AV and I really like the colour scheme and design (poor reason for chosing a brand I know) also my dealer is very much into Denon and their service has always been top notch and they maybe willing to do a trade in on my old equipment:smashin:

Whats the 3800 or 2900 like in comparision to the 2800MKII??

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Ask them if they'll swap the 2800 in for a Harmon Kardon DVD25.

It seems to get much better reports than the Denon, and on the face of it, the dealer is getting the better of the exchange.

Gary.

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd really suggest that people stop fiddling around with their DVD players - messing firmware up and what forth.

PAL Interlaced pictures on the 2800MKII are perfectly adequate for anybody who's not an idiot spending hours reviewing the picture on a 100 grand CRT projector.

I've played with completely unaltered (well infact - several) Denon DVD2800MKII DVD players and have had no problems with the machine at all - far from it infact. One of the best pictures I've seen.

STOP FIDDLING is my advice. If you want an NTSC progressive player you can play about with no-end get a Tosh 520E - at least if something goes wrong you've spent £150 and not £430.

The interlaced PAL pictures on the Denon are fine.

If you've got a display that's good enough to show up imperfections in PAL interlaced pictures, that same machine's most likely good enough to de-interlace the picture itself.

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The PQ problems I mentioned were equally visible in Interlaced mode with 2800 Mk1 / Mk 2, but not a problem with 3800 regardless of playback mode. :)

8. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fiddling around!?!?

I'd hardly call getting an athorised Denon dealer to upgrade a players firmware to the latest Denon supplied firmware messing around and WHAT NOT????

I'm sorry but the 2800MKII was always meant to be able to provide Pal Progressive output and was just waiting for the legal problems to be sorted with macrovision, which basically happened when Arcam came to an agreement and brought out the 88+. So I don't see whats wrong in wanting to get the most out of an expensive piece of kit?

Also most of the problems reported with the 2800MKII (whether with upgraded firmware or not) have been with both its picture quality in both interlaced and progressive modes.

Lets not start blaming the end user for a problem that lies well and truely with the manufacturer.

9. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was that before or after you tried updating firmware?

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Denon 2800MkII for about a week. The three discs I played in it all froze a couple of times during each film (NOT the layer change pause) so I quickly decided to cut my losses and swap it out with a Pioneer 757ai, which I've not had a single problem with.

11. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Both ! :)

12. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just out of sheer curiosity now.

What dealer did everybody get their DVD2800MKII from?