1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all Denon 1803 amp owners

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Help, Aug 27, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Help

Help

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, hope you can help me. I bought my amp a few days ago and had managed to play in DTS mode, but now I am getting no sound. I can play a DVD in normal sound mode, but the DTS is mute.

I'm not sure what I've done as I've not disconnected anything, so maybe the change came from using the controller?

2. adc2000974

adc2000974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Denon 1803 owner, possibly the dvd-player?
    have you tried to tweak it in anyway you could of turned the dts decoding off, on the dvd player return it to defult.

3. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i have the 1803, not sure what you have done, nothing to do with the Input being detected set to analogue and not digital ??
    assuming you are using optical or coax.

Can you not select the mode using the bottom right rotary knob.
    If using the remote check the left hand slide switch isnt set to Video.

Have you got a kid, If so they can do strange things and access service menues just by picking the damm remote up. Only today my 13month old daughter managed to mute the 1803 and set the remote control to constenlty flash... christ knows how ??

other than no DTs are you happy with the AMP ?

Ive had mine a week and i think its excellant value.

4. Help

Help

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was it. Doh!:blush:

thanks

5. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    what was it ?

6. Help

Help

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EDIT: I had changed the sound output on the DVD as Adc... had suggested :blush:

Dominic,

I set mine up on Mon. Yeah I like it, but I (ok we) had a bit of an issue over it being gold, as everything else in the room is silver. In the daylight it looks a bit of a clash, but in the evening, when I (I mean I this time) actually watch films, it looks fine.

Not had an amp before so it's a bit like being at the helm of the Starship Enterprise. To be honest, I've made such a step up from my last kit (just some kind of packard bell 5.1 setup from PC World) that I'm not sure if it is the amp, the sub or the speakers that are sounding great. Everything sounds crystal clear but the sub doesn't sound quite as rocking as I would expect, but that might be because the packard bell thing sounded like a beast.

Just need a unit to house it in now.

Kit: Tosh 330 dvd player, Velodyne vx-10, Denon 1803G, five Kef 2005.2 eggs

7. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Help

sounds like a tidy setup not too dissimular to mine, i too have the Kef 2005.2 but have the extra surround back and the 10" kef sub, also the toshiba 220E. add on a panny AE100 and it SOunds great in my room which is 3.6X4.6m
    Its an upgrade from my kenwood thx select 110w 5.1 amp
    I hoped the Denon lived up to its reputation and the 80w per channel is far more refined than the 110w of the old amp. Its more of a pleasure at higer volumes.

havent given it a real work out yet, need to let the speakers bed in for a bit.
    Also on the lookout for an SPL meter and setup disk.

8. Help

Help

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I might have to get them also. I tried Band of Brothers out on DTS, gunfire and the like sounds really crisp, but explosions don't sound as damaging as I'd hoped. Early days though.

9. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the 1802 which is similar to the 1803, and as long as the amp is set to auto, and the dvd player has the dts enabled, it will be ok.

10. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh , and the vx10 i have complements the amp ,brilliantly.

11. cinemagotham

cinemagotham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you guys talking about the 1803 DTS/DD6.1 etc... receiver or some amp-only model that I'm not aware of? I've been reading about this receiver and I'm considering getting it. Would it be recommendable? What about comparable models like the Marantz 4300 (which, I believe, doesn't do component video)... Looking for some advice.

12. Help

Help

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. cinemagotham

cinemagotham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0