Calling all convergent experts (CRT problem)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by (GTV)Chris, Oct 20, 2005.

1. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I currently use a SONY VPH-1041Q, that has been used in a film dubbing theatre for approx 6 years. So lots of hours on it.
    The lenses were replaced about 4 years ago, but the thing gets hammered
    8 - 10 hours a day.
    The picture is very soft and a bit ropey and I was wondering what the best route would be:

1. Change the tubes (how much?)
    2. Get it re- aligned (how much?)
    3. Buy a new unit (how much?)

It all comes down to money.

Many thanks indeed

Chris

2. 008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    How much run time do you intend to use it for ?

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hi Chris, I think it might be time to consider a new projector.

Your 1041 is video only. It won't take a line doubler or scaler. 'New' new tubes are going to set you back almost as much as a decent s/h 7" projector that can take a line doubler. Second-hand tubes will be less of course, but finding something worth buying will take time.

MadMrH has a bunch of nearly new Seleco projectors ranging from 400s up to an SVD500. Most have internal line doublers. They're all 16:9 capable and all have digital convergence. They'll work brilliantly with a s/h iScan Pro line doubler which is a great upgrade for very little money. You would see quite a big jump in picture performance compared to the Sony.

ChrisGeary from Staffordshire had a Barco 800 for sale recently. This is slightly older technology and would definitely need a scaler or doubler to get the best from it, but I was going for very little money.

If you need a scaler then please let me know. One of my convergence customers has a Quadscan for sale at sensible money following his upgrade to a Lumagen. :)

Regards

4. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    i hope you don't mind me hijacking, but I would like to point out that my PJ is still for sale at the bargain price of £600, it is a Barco Graphics 801s, has over 13000 hours on it but tubes are in good condition. When fed with a budget line doubler, such as the iscan pro, it produces a very good image indeed. far better than LCD/DLP. An image of 7ft is pretty sharp at 3m viewing distance. please do get in touch if you are interested.

thx

Chris

5. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I intend to use it a lot, up to 10 hours a day! So about 3 - 4 thousand hours a year!
    I think you are right though, it is time for a new one.
    I know my company mentioned LCD or DLP, but I would like to keep it CRT for the durability and the quality image. I would hate the bulb in an LCD to go midway through a final audio mix!
    I would need a 16:9 model, line doubler with a bright image..is there a good model for under 8 grand or will I have to look at the bigger models?

Thanks all

Chris

6. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    For the Seleco record only

400HT - parts only unit - under offer
    400HT - full working unit - under offer

3 x 450+ 37 to 300 hours ONLY
    1 x 500+ under 300 hours
    1 x 500+HD 1900 hours (includes HD145 cc/cf lenses)
    (2 of the above 5 deposits taken)

Lens upgrades for all except the 500+HD available and I have them.

PLEASE NOTE: once I have no more Seleco's I will offer in the "for sale" forum all remaining lenses.

7. 008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I may be selling my Sony 8" G70 if you are interested. Basically its perfect. Probably want around 2k to which you can add a scaler. If you want the best image from DVD you will need a a SDI DVD player and compatible scaling solution. I am also selling this equipment potentially as a package.
    Alternatively if you want the best CRT on the planet I can get hold of a Sony nearly brand new 9" G90 for around 7.5k.
    If you are interested p.m. me.

8. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Ahh..we're talking commercial application rather than home cinema, right? If so, then that changes things quite a bit.

There are some new CRT projectors still available that would fit the bill nicely. The advantage with CRT is that it will give you the lowest running cost per year.

The alternative is single lens, and with the budget available you could address the 'lamp failure' concern in a very neat way. Some projectors have a feature called lens shift. It is possible to mount one projector over the other in a stack and then use lens shift so that both images project perfectly on to the same screen. Most times this is used to double the brightness, but in your case you would use one projector at a time and the other would be the back-up should a lamp fail unexpectedly.

Regards

9. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all your help and interest.
    I have put in a budget to the cheifs and I will see what happens.
    If they want to go single lense I have told them your suggestion.
    Best wishes

Chris