Calling all cat owners...

These threads usually get shut down. We're doing well!

All my neighbours have cats and do the same. One has a dog that barks at my cats. I'll suggest they have him put down. My cats would go nuts being deprived of outdoor access. I can't leave any doors closed as they will scratch them to bits.

It's not considerate to confine an animal. Some may acclimatise, but it is not the norm. If a bit of cat poo is going to wind you up, get a cat!
Our cats have free reign to go out and about whenever they like, but they've been trained to use litter trays. Of course I can't guarantee they use them 100% of the time but I know they use them most of the time.

We just use the clumping cat litter from Tesco, cat seems to like it and so does my wallet.

Farmers field at the end of the garden, perfect!

Our boy was an outside cat until we rehomed him. So giving him free roam outside after spending the last 4 years somewhere else would not work out IMO.

He is now exclusively an indoor cat and seems to love it. He gets to wander around outside while we're about and he doesn't go too far.

Our cats have free reign to go out and about whenever they like, but they've been trained to use litter trays. Of course I can't guarantee they use them 100% of the time but I know they use them most of the time.

That's fair enough. I'm not suggesting anyone alters their preferred pattern of behaviour. I have a garden and it's not covered in cat poo. Neither is our neighbours, so it's not an issue. It costs us nothing and the cats are happy. What's not to love?

We gave two animals a home. They are content and have all they need, just like the two before them. I have never had a single complaint from anyone. People seem happy to judge me on here though. But I'm in London. Perhaps trivial matters occupy people more in other parts of the country.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I have never had a single complaint from anyone. People seem happy to judge me on here though. But I'm in London. Perhaps trivial matters occupy people more in other parts of the country.

It's General Chat, the most judgemental place on the planet :)

"Post not, lest thee be judged"

Should be the GC forum motto :)

Just to be clear on who was judging who...

:)

Not particularly aimed at anyone in particular, just comes up every so often and the same old... as if by letting a cat out, you are committing some heinous crime worthy of a public flogging!
Cats tend to be pretty clean animals and cover up their mess (usually). Urban foxes are much worse and create a right mess on concrete paths. :)

I wouldn't have even picked up on cats doing their business outside had you not labelled me a mug :)

I wouldn't have even picked up on cats doing their business outside had you not labelled me a mug :)

The implication that it is inconsiderate to let your cat out is what I have issue with. And that by keeping them locked up, you are being considerate.

I'm very considerate and always consider my neighbours at every opportunity.

So from my point of view, keeping a cat indoors and paying for cat litter is irrational. If anyone is so fearful of their neighbours, why would they choose to have a pet anyway.

You've got me all wrong and I've never said either of those things are considerate or inconsiderate.

Just to clarify...
Keeping your cat indoors is a no go for me, they're animals that clearly like their freedom.
Letting your cat outside is not inconsiderate.
Letting your cat poop in neighbours gardens is inconsiderate.
What has being fearful of neighbours got to do with anything? It's just about being considerate and polite.

I see a cat that has 100% freedom but still does 99% of it's business in a litter tray is the best of both worlds.

Just to clarify...
Keeping your cat indoors is a no go for me, they're animals that clearly like their freedom.
In my situation I don't think it is in his best interests to let him roam freely. There are a number of bigger badder tom cats around who would probably kick his ass, and he has just moved 20 miles from where he has lived all his life.

I don't know what it's called but whenever we look after my sister in laws cat we use the stuff from Costco in the big green container, it's pretty cheap and it works well. I can find out the name next time I'm down there.

Our Marvin is very much an outdoor cat, he spends all day out while we are at work. But now hes only got the three legs we are worried that he will struggle to defend himself properly against the numerous cats he shares the area with and we don't have and are not able to install a cat flap. Rather than deprive him of an outdoor life (he is currently doing our heads in crying at the doors to be let out) we have bought him a kennel with a microchip cat flap. He is so spoiled.

That said if we lived near a busy road I'm not sure I would let him out, we are lucky that we at the end of a cul-de-sac so there is virtually no traffic. Its also what your cat is used to, when we first got him we didn't let him out for 6 months as we lived in a 1st floor apartment and he didn't care because he didn't know any different.

This stuff & from that supplier. Down side is it does tend to track but then so do most of them.
Just to update, I bought this stuff and it is excellent. Great price, and lasts for ages. Gives just as good a result as the fine expensive stuff I had first time.

Just proves again that AVF has all the answers! :D

Pets at Home sell it too if you need to pick any up locally :)
It's great stuff.

Ill definitely be giving it a try when the current bag is empty.

Just to update, I bought this stuff and it is excellent. Great price, and lasts for ages. Gives just as good a result as the fine expensive stuff I had first time.

Just proves again that AVF has all the answers! :D
:thumbsup:

Quick tip. As you say it lasts for ages but I'd recommend regularly emptying the tray & making sure it's as clean as can be. No need to throw the litter away, just tip it into a bucket. I found that if you leave it for a while & just remove the clumps & top up, the dust builds up in the bottom of the tray & when combined with a little pee, forms something akin to MDF!

Although that also seemed to be aggravated by the tray I was using. When I switched to this one I found there was less of a tendency for anything to stick as it had a nice shiny surface rather than the matt of the old one.

We're looking after a relatives cat for the better part of a year. We didn't let him out for about 2 months but now he's fine going out and about. He never really goes far either. Recently he seems to have been using the great outdoors to poop but I can't say for certain. As for litter, because he has stupidly long fur we have to be quite selective with the style of litter we use as everything will just stick to him. Blooming nightmare but it also makes deciding which one to get a lot easier. Right now we're using the clay style. Seems to be fine but doesn't last too long unfortunately.

Yep, that's what we do. Clean it out as we go but then when it gets a bit too dusty we do a complete clean out and star fresh.

This stuff & from that supplier. Down side is it does tend to track but then so do most of them.

I say that supplier because AFAIK, they're the only ones still doing the 40l bags. Cashback is available as is a discount on your first order & ongoing by signing up to their newsletter. You can also buy a discount package.

I've bought some of this to try on your recommendation. The only thing is it doesn't say anywhere on the bag that its safe to flush. I assume you have done and its fine?

We flush ours all the time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom