1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all BFD experts and owners: Please help me with my sub's FR!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by tk2001, Sep 21, 2004.

1. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi,

I've just set-up my BFD and have tried to get my FR as flat as possible but I'm having great difficulty in doing so.

In order to get a flat FR from 20Hz to 80Hz, what filters, bandwidth, gain would I need to use and what would BFD owners recommend I use?

Any help would be much appreciate.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,998
    Hiya TK

First of all I'd suggest turning your sub down for those sinewaves! - hitting peaks of 100db+ is not good for your sub:)

Second, is the sub position the ONLY place for it to go? If it is then I'd suggest the following:

+4db boost to 50hz, bandwidth 2
    -10db cut to 40hz, bandwidth 5
    -10db cut to 28hz, bandwidth 7

Not sure whether that'll even out the response or leave it too lumpy - you may need some more filters between 40hz down to 25hz, but with smaller bandwidth settings.

Look carefully at how the boost affects that entire area around 50hz; it might not affect that frequency at all, it all depends on your room. But don't be too worried about +4db in there, the PB-2 Plus will handle that with ease despite some responses of "shock horror, don't use gain!" - if it sounds good then do it :)

The only other thing I would add is that making these changes will make a BIG difference to the sound...currently you're experiencing some immense lower bass overload compared to the upper bass regions, and you may find it lacks as much impact once EQ'd. That said, you'll have an entirely smoother, cleaner sound:)

On the other hand, if you've calibrated by ear to now then I bet you've calibrated it to the 40hz peak - by which I mean you've tweaked the sub so that the 40hz peaks don't sound overblown. If this is the case then you've been missing out on a whole load of fun at the higher end of the bass range:)

Either way, you're in for some fun once you've got it sorted:) Play with the suggestions above and come back with the new readings (unless someone who REALLY knows what they're talking about gives you some good advice:) )

cheers
    Matt

3. gjc-ortho

gjc-ortho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Mate,

There are very few who know more than you, if any!! Hope all is well.

Cheers

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,998
    Thanks for the compliment, but that's SO not true:) I tend to muddle my way through things :D

TK, did you try those filters?

5. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Smurfin,

Sorry for the late response - I've been really busy sorting out my HT set-up as a whole.

I've did get a chance input your recommended filters/bandwith/gain settings and I must say that without the boost around the 40hz region, it doesn't sound 'quite right'. I must be doing something wrong.

I won't give up on the BFD just yet as many people have see it as a vital asset to setting up a sub properly.

I just wish there was some BFD owners based SE London that could kindly pop in and lend a hand in setting it up properly?

6. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,998
    If you can wait just a couple of weeks, I can drop by (if you're not too close to central London, despite driving to NW London every day I still get hopelessly lost) one day during the week if you're around, possibly an evening.

7. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi tk2001,

I live south of the river if i could be of any assistance let me know, i am no expert but quite happy useing BFD's.

John :)

8. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi recruit,

Sorry for the delayed reply - I just came back from holiday.

If you lend a hand then I'd be most grateful. :)

Regards
    TK

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi TK,

If you PM me with your details i will try and sort out in a couple of weeks as i am busy for the next few weekends

John :)