Calling all Audiophiles - How do I Connect LG C8 TV to Bose/Yamaha amplifier (photos)

verachion

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an LG C8 TV. I have tried to connect it today to a bose lifestyle 614810 av receiver that I bought second hand recently.

The TV itself has an optical audio out but the Bose av receiver system doesn't, it only has red and white female connections on the back.

How can I go about connecting the Bose unit to the TV is this possible?

If not I also bought a Yamaha amplifier but I was told the Bose is better?

I have attached some photos for reference

190931 - TV (optical)
190629 - BOSE AV RECEIVER
193058 - 2 YAMAHA AMPLIFIER

Attachments

• 20191010_190931.jpg
    20191010_190931.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 92
  • 20191010_190629.jpg
    20191010_190629.jpg
    803.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 20191010_193058.jpg
    20191010_193058.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 171
Last edited:
It looks as though the only way you can connect is via the headphone socket on the TV to the inputs marked video sound on the Bose. This would be by means of a single 3.5mm bayonet to RCA connector such as the link provided. You will only get stereo sound from the TV. I'm not recommending this particular one, it's just for information.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
It looks as though the only way you can connect is via the headphone socket on the TV to the inputs marked video sound on the Bose. This would be by means of a single 3.5mm bayonet to RCA connector such as the link provided. You will only get stereo sound from the TV. I'm not recommending this particular one, it's just for information.

Thank you very much for your reply I have just ordered them.

Incidentally how would I connect the yamaha using these cables?

Sorry, I was speed reading and missed the Yamaha versus Bose statement. Whoever told you that, whatever they were drinking I'll have two. No way Hose. The Yamaha should have an optical input at least and will be far superior to the Bose. You'll not find much love for Bose on the Forum.

I can't see any optical sorry, on the back of the yamaha? Re photo

That Yamaha doesn't have any optical inputs either, so you'd have to connect to one of the phono inputs in the same way as gibbsy mentioned above. The Yamaha is also much superior to the Bose.

*below*

The cables came today and I hooked it all up to the yamaha amplifier but i only get headphone sound volume coming out of the speakers. I have seen that in the sound settings on the LG C8 TV shows HDI arc, what is this please?

What model is your Yamaha receiver? The connection for audio to receivers from the TV can either be by optical or HDMI via ARC. The headphone option was for use with the Bose.

What model is your Yamaha receiver? The connection for audio to receivers from the TV can either be by optical or HDMI via ARC. The headphone option was for use with the Bose.

I have just tried the bose but again I only got minimal sound. I assumed this was because the connection was out of the headphone jack.

The Yamaha Amplifier is DSP A590 no optical on the amp.

I would say your best option would be a small DAC to convert the TV digital signal to analogue. Something like this simple DAC would do the job. You will also need a digital optical cable plus a set of phono cables and that should be it

As for using a 3.5mm output, see if there is an option to turn the volume up to maximum for that output. That usually works although it won't be as good as the above I have mentioned

I would say your best option would be a small DAC to convert the TV digital signal to analogue. Something like this simple DAC would do the job. You will also need a digital optical cable plus a set of phono cables and that should be it

OK thanks I have just ordered this. It comes tomorrow so will try and set it up/ it only has 2 connections though so can only have front speakers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191012-154005_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20191012-154005_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    507.4 KB · Views: 67
That's the same principle as I've suggested. Just remember to set the output to stereo or PCM within the TV as some TV's try to output 5.1 via optical which can create "white noise" or "no noise" when you want stereo sound only for this option to work correctly. Basically white noise will be a horrible hiss and the other is self explanatory :)

P.S. I did add a bit to my previous post about the 3.5mm connection

That's the same principle as I've suggested. Just remember to set the output to stereo or PCM within the TV as some TV's try to output 5.1 via optical which can create "white noise" or "no noise" when you want stereo sound only for this option to work correctly. Basically white noise will be a horrible hiss and the other is self explanatory :)

P.S. I did add a bit to my previous post about the 3.5mm connection

Thanks a lot for the advice. If it all works tomorrow I might splash out on the below to set up the surround sound.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191012-154702_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20191012-154702_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 65
Card's on the table, neither amplifier is going to give you full surround sound without an external decoder - and even then it will only be pro-logic on the Yamaha and stereo on the Bose. The Yamaha will generate surround information from the stereo from the TV, but it will not be great.

You really need a much newer AVR to get full 5.1 or better surround sound. Even a £250 basic unit will do a better job than either of the units you currently have. They can be bought 2nd hand for £100 or so. Look out for HDMI inputs and this will give you the full digital surround connection.

You've had good advice above. It really will come down to new kit for a good 5.1. Christmas is coming. Got a chimney? ;)

Yeah, this type of DAC solution will only give you stereo with the amp having to perform pro-logic to generate a fake surround sound experience (which is mono at the rear when using basic pro-logic). Any new/second hand amp with HDMI will do the job for you if you want 5.1 surround sound. Do remember though if you are only broadcasting from your TV, not everything is 5.1 (not all TV's can broadcast 5.1 too so consult your manual) with many programs still outputting in stereo meaning if you wish to experience surround sound on those via a new/er amp, you will have to still employ a fake setting from the amp to generate it

Thanks a million for your advice everyone. I have now got the sound working using the DAC converter, however, I have got my eye on the marantz amp from richer sounds. 😉

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom