1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all 42PWD5 owners ....

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by wattsj, Jul 6, 2003.

1. wattsj

wattsj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of buying one of these plasma's now the prices have dropped.

Are you really happy with yours ?

Would you buy it again with no hesitation ?

Any problems found ?

I would really appreciate an honest response on this screen.

Regards,

Jay

2. Ratoban

Ratoban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The silence is deafening isn`t it ?

Looking this model myself still not sure wether to wait for the series 6 which is released soon , got till july14 to decide (thats when my pricematch runs out).

AFAIK there are some small picture traits such as flicker but on the whole its a pretty good display, especially as the prices are now dropping ready for the series 6 release.

Best thing is to get some serious demoing done

Rob

3. wattsj

wattsj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    * Bumped *

Surely there must be some 42PWD5 owners out there ?

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    wattsj

I have to say the PWD6 is the best bet - though if budget dictates and the flicker is not driving you mad then the PWD5 has many happy owners.

Best regards

Joe

5. tmurphy

tmurphy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Had my panny for nearly two weeks now and am completely satisfied with it. No problems at all with the picture but there is a slight buzz when the unit is on, but this seems to be pot luck with what screen you get. Some buzz some don't, but once the amp is cranked up past -70db you cannot hear it.
    Go and buy one.

6. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In answer to your question - yes im incredibly impressed. I only ever see this so called 'flicker' now and again, the picture quality is fantastic and the contrast ratio is about as good as you will get (until the 6th gen comes out!)

I would definitely buy again without hesitation & I haven't yet noticed any problems with screen.

One of my mates also has one and he also thinks the same. We've both had them for about 6 months now.

Buy one, you won't be disappointed... BTW - if you are one of the minority who can see the flicker, you can buy a little box from Gordan the AV man which will fix it for you!

Hope that helps

Steve

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    Steve

I take it Gordon's 'little box' you are referring to is the Lumagen Vision that's got an SRP of £1,175.00 - and much as I like the Vision its not exactly a low cost fix.

I feel you must be in the minority of you cant see flicker on a PWD5 as everyone I've ever sat in front of one has commented on it straight away (along with the 'buzz').

Best regards

Joe

8. DaveCheltenham

DaveCheltenham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I am clearly in the minority with my 42PWD5 and it would appear, lucky. Absolutely no buzz, no flicker although we tend to use it between Normal and Cinema settings (contrast 9 or 0). There is also 1 dead blue pixel off centre. This gives a brilliant picture sourced from Sky+ / DVD via RGB +Sync with no extra boxes. Quality differences are very noticeable between different channels and DVD's but that is a measure of how good the display system is to be able to see them.

Have to say though from reading Liam's and Joe's reviews of the 6 series; I would spend the extra money for the later model. Although I am lucky with my 5 series one, many are not. Connectivity options on the 6 alone are a big plus.

9. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dave - im with you, my screen does not buzz and as I have already said, very rarely flickers. My mate is also in the same position.

Regarding the 6 gen series, lets wait and see what the feedback is when there are LOTS of users rather than just one or two. I do expect it to be good but whats written on paper isn't necessarily good in reality.

Joe - I didn't know how much the 'box' was & agree that its not a value for money 'fix'

Cheers

Steve