Calling all 2015-2018 Panasonic users. iPlayer Live UHD, HLG Trial

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Dodgexander, Jun 1, 2018.

• ?
    1. I own a 2015 CX range TV and it works for me.

2.6%
    2. I own a 2015 CX range TV and it doesn't work for me.

6.6%
    3. I own a 2016 DX range TV and it works for me.

0 vote(s)
      0.0%
    4. I own a 2016 DX range TV and it doesn't work for me.

57.9%
    5. I own a 2017 EX/EZ range TV and it works for me.

30.3%
    6. I own a 2017 EX/EZ range TV and it doesn't work for me.

2.6%
    7. I own a 2018 FX/FZ range TV and it works for me.

3.9%
    8. I own a 2018 FX/FZ range TV and it doesn't work for me.

0 vote(s)
      0.0%
    Multiple votes are allowed.
    1. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,279
      I am currently in touch with Panasonic regarding the inability for the Panasonic DX902(2016) to display HLG information correctly in the iPlayer app. The live UHD trial includes HLG but it will only send colour information to the TV, not engage the TV in full-brightness HDR mode like it should.

So I am looking for some feedback from users, not only of the DX902, but of other Panasonic TVs too, to try and ascertain differences in iPlayer app versions and to get an idea of which TVs are currently working and which not.

Should hopefully give us a better idea of whether we expect our TV to work for the world cup in UHD and HLG since the BBC have decided to remove most Panasonic models from their compatibility list.

I urge you to contact Panasonic if your TV is not displaying the trial correctly. eg if its doing the same as with my DX902 and only showing better colours, not putting the TV into full HDR mode. Panasonic rarely answer their contact forms and its a pain to go through to contact them this way. You can contact Panasonic to complain here: [email protected] - the more people we have complain, the better chance we have for the world cup to work.

I am also in touch with the BBC, so any information you provide could be useful for them too.

I need two photos from you, one from the system information page within the iPlayer application.

And one from the menu of the TVs picture settings whilst playing back the trial.

Here are the steps:

Photo 1 - System Information from iPlayer app
      1. Open the iPlayer app and head to settings (top right) IMG_20180601_150507.jpg
      2. Switch iPlayer to beta (you will need to restart the app). If you already have beta ticked, skip this step. IMG_20180601_151712.jpg
      3. Go back to the settings menu and go to settings and help. IMG_20180601_150532.jpg
      4. Go to Help. IMG_20180601_150547.jpg
      5. Go to System Information. IMG_20180601_150556.jpg
      6. Take photo of the settings to upload here. It should look similar to this: IMG_20180601_150606.jpg
      Photo 2 - Picture settings whilst playing live-uhd trial

1. In the settings, visit the section "Try new features of iPlayer beta" IMG_20180601_150644.jpg
      2. Make sure iPlayer BETA is still ticked and press "Play UHD test loop" IMG_20180601_150656.jpg
      3. If you have done everything correct a video should show simulating a live premier league football game between West Brom and Southampton. Wait a few seconds and then open up your TVs menu to see picture settings. The second photo should be like my settings below. IMG_20180601_150728.jpg

Hopefully collecting this info will be of use :)

As you can see from my final picture, it's easy to tell the TV is not reading the HLG data correctly. Whilst the TV is receiving rec2020 which indicates its working with more saturated HDR colours, its hasn't put its backlight on full which means its not entering the correct HDR mode like it should do.

If your display shows backlight 100 and rec.2020 colour remaster here it means its correctly displaying HLG HDR and should mean it hopefully works for the World Cup.

Thanks for any time anyone can take capturing these two images. I know many people purchased their TVs on the proviso HLG HDR would be supported and frankly it's been a farce so far trying to get help from the BBC or Panasonic. The latest compatibility list from the BBC is frankly a poor joke, not including the entire Panasonic 2016 and 2017 range: BBC iPlayer Help - Can I watch the World Cup live in Ultra HD on my connected TV?

Please mention your TV model number in your reply.

I have also included a poll for people to answer and please do contact Panasonic if you have the problem.

2. MikeTVMikeTV

MikeTVMikeTV

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +675
      Have the 58DX750, will do the photos when daughter has gone to bed, I'm pretty sure Panasonic said somewhere that the DX750,800&902 all support HLG but not via the internet, it needs to be via HDMI.

3. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,279
      Great! Well if that's the case they customer support certainly doesn't know about it! Right now we know that HLG works from HDMI with the Roku+ stick with iPlayer so hopefully that is an option for the world cup, if this isn't going to be fixed.

4. MikeTVMikeTV

MikeTVMikeTV

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +675
      58DX750, it triggers the rec2020 color space but doesn't max the back light, has been the same since the planet earth 2 trial.

Attached Files:

5. Ross L

Ross L

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +161
      DX902b owner here - I've emailed Panasonic about it and I await their cock and bull story.

I'll upload some photos tonight.

6. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,556
      dodge, i have the DX902 as you know, i knew the trail hasn't been working since the planet earth trail which was ages ago, i also knew from the list the bbc published regarding the world cup 4k coverage, that they knew with the Panasonic's DX range it didn't work or it would have been listed. the Panasonic's also have an inherent issue with motion, confirmed when they recently released a firmware to last years oleds and also confirmed by my calibrator, which affects sky and more importantly bluray playback (it introduces 3:2 pulldown, and when playing blurays shows up as frame skipping and jerkiness in the picture...I'm writing another long list after contacting them, they had the cheek to send me a satisfaction form after not resolving my issues and now are just ignoring my emails..its disgusting customer service. i also note from your pics, that our system information is slightly different.

IMG_20180602_083327.jpg IMG_20180602_083550.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    7. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,556
      whilst im at it did any of your see this petition that was set up, which also prefectly describes my motion issues, exactly the same as the oleds, more worrying panasonic knew of these issues yet the following year released oleds with the same problems. i have hammered panasonic again with all the issues again and i want answers or i will cause merry hell with them, fed up with them not addressing issues

Sign the Petition

8. naturbo2000

naturbo2000

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +12
      EZ952 owner. Doesn't work correctly regarding colour space (looks like they're playing in a dull evening).

However - that's when launched via the "apps" link on the tv.

The standard workaround (at least on this range) works as usual - launch iPlayer from tv -> guide -> back -> catchup and all is ok. Rec2020, max luminance, max colour remaster by default and blindingly white shorts.

I guess I vote that it doesn't work correctly...

9. Banksie

Banksie

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +26
      DX902 owner, no HLG/HDR for me. I have 40mb download and it stutters pauses every couple of seconds.
      Sadly the UHD trial is not available through the Xbox One S.

Looks like i'll have to get a roku +.

Attached Files:

10. aidey6

aidey6

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +67
      The iPlayer app is the same for my DX802, but I tried it using the app within my Virgin Media V6 box ....

Attached Files:

11. ozsat

ozsat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +76
      My EX750 (2017) is switching the brightness to 100 and enabling rec2020 - hopefully good news for World Cup.

I wonder if the BBC list is just those being supported - whereas others may work but will not be offered support if their are problems.

12. CornishPete

CornishPete
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +18
      Same here on my EX750.
      The looping football trial and the planet earth demo work and look good for me

13. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,279
      Thanks for the pics @MikeTVMikeTV
      @Ross L would be great if you could give the pics, well done contacting them:smashin:
      @golden phoenix thanks for the pics and good job contacting them. It seems like your iPlayer build is a version behind mine have you tried to update? I have no idea if it updates with Panasonic firmware or automatically on its own.

About the Planet earth trial, this still is there if you switch to the non-beta iPlayer and play the trial. The symptoms are very different there though, probably due to the older iPlayer version. The TV does not enter HLG or Rec2020 mode, it instead has the bug where it goes to normal/dynamic picture mode and you can't change to any other presets. This is a separate bug that has been mentioned in the OP of the issues thread.. Nonetheless the problem remains the same. The TV just can't switch to the full blown HDR mode like it should.

There are more problems than this also, I have mentioned them in my posts in the issues thread, the other main issue I have is Amazon isn't letting you save settings or picture presets. It always reverts to True Cinema every time with default settings. If you have the time to test that problem on your TV or any others, let me know your results.

As for the motion issue and the petition, which I've signed anyway. I have never noticed any motion problems like described on my DX902. I heard that there was a motion problem if you have a Panasonic Blu-Ray player and send 12bit instead of 10bit but I haven't seen that myself either. I don't have sky but I do have BT and don't notice anything that has been described on my DX902 sending a 2160p signal at 50hz. I have both 8bit and 10bit output options and use 8bit. I know sky has similar options so perhaps using 8bit instead helps? There is no point using a 10bit output yet anyway since all the source material broadcasters use is 8bit anyway.

However I do notice with the iPlayer that motion is very, very jerky, it is quite apparent in the live-uhd trial. It's not as natural and smooth as when I watch football on BT or even standard TV.

@naturbo2000 great info, we will have to try that and see if it makes a difference. Have you the time to take photos like in the OP? Perhaps you could note the system info the iPlayer and compare depending on the route you take into each app. It may be that if you enter the iPlayer from one direction its giving you a different version to the other. May even be a simple matter of one using the beta and one not. Still though pictures would be useful:smashin: The new football loop trial will only work in the beta iPlayer, if its the normal iPlayer it will still show the trial but of Planet Earth II instead.

@Banksie thanks for the pics! looks like you have the same version of @golden phoenix and an earlier build than me , do you guys have the 58" model? Does the app not update to the June build?

The roku2+ does indeed look like it's more likely to work, but its still not on the BBCs compatibility list so we don't know for certain if it is going to work when the world cup comes along.

@aidey6 thanks for the pic, looks like the Virgin box is working correctly then? It is listed on the BBC compatibility list but as "TBC". Rec2020 and backlight on full? Do you have the info of your picture mode and iPlayer version to send too?:smashin:

@ozsat it does look like they are leaving Panasonic from 2016 and 2017 out deliberately. From you and others with the 2017 LCDs it does sound like its working correctly, at least so far. It could be because its not working on the 2017 OLEDs properly that is stopping them from posting your model on the compatibility list. But if its not on the list, there are no guarantees.

If you can capture some photos of the info in the OP it would be wonderful. It would be pretty safe to assume it should work when the world cup comes along but I have a feeling there is going to be an update before then and I am trying to work out if our iPlayer versions are all the same, if they are, we will probably all be receiving the same update. If we see that certain iPlayer versions are different then we know that there is a reason certain TVs aren't being updated.:smashin:

The BBC will only be able to update their iPlayer app according to each build. That will be what the "Panasonic Mid Range 2016" in the photos is about. That's why it would be useful to see the changes on the 2017's firmware.

Thanks @CornishPete, like above can you get some photos (info in op) of the info to help those of us where it isn't working?

14. CornishPete

CornishPete
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +18
      EX750 (2017)
      3 weeks old :)
      Works a treat for me. DSC_3658.JPG DSC_3658.JPG DSC_3659.JPG DSC_3660.JPG
      DSC_3658.JPG DSC_3658.JPG DSC_3659.JPG

15. ozsat

ozsat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +76
      These are from my TX-50EX750B

IMG_2178.JPG

IMG_2180.JPG

16. CornishPete

CornishPete
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +18
      No idea why it's posted so many images :-/
      Sorry

17. Mark Whistle

Mark Whistle
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8
      65DX902B
      Looks like I’m getting wider colour gamut but not HDR.

Screenshots attached.

Attached Files:

18. Mark Whistle

Mark Whistle
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8
      50CX802b (bedroom TV)

Here are the screenshots, no HDR.

Attached Files:

19. aidey6

aidey6

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +67
      @Dodgexander re confirmation that I got it to work via the BBC iPlayer app within the V6 Virgin box

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    20. ozsat

ozsat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +76
      Seeing same here on EX750 using V6

21. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +12
      Ok, I've got the May version of the iplayer app and I've got the 65dx902b, I have just tested out the iplayer app and when I selected the menu the brightness and contrast were both at 100 whilst watching the footie trial. I was quite surprised by this?

22. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,556
      Yes I have a 58" and network says all updates complete...in fact as far as I know the DX902 has only had 3 updates since release

23. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +12
      DSC_0257.JPG DSC_0258.JPG

Here's the photo's as requested

24. naturbo2000

naturbo2000

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +12
      Images as requested (65EZ952 for reference).

Launched from Apps: DSC_6336.JPG DSC_6337.JPG

Launched from CatchUp: DSC_6340.JPG DSC_6342.JPG

The (long standing) trouble with iPlayer as launched from Apps on this TV is that none of the picture controls have any impact (The App picture settings are different from what I'd previously mentioned, but the dull image is unchanged).
      Launched from CatchUp is perfect.

You can't see the difference in image from the photos, but the change in tone of my (grey but LED-lit in these photos) wall suggests there's a difference in the white balance handling of the camera. I guess I could have started from manual white-balance.

Now to dim the lights and get back to the XBox. FIFA I guess :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    25. Ross L

Ross L

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +161
      Apologies mate, I completely forgot to post them. Just taken them again trying some of the ways outlined in this thread and I've had two different outcomes...

58dx902b

Going in via 'APPS'
      20180604_064545.jpg

Going in via 'APPS' backing out and going back in via 'Catchup'.
      20180604_064457.jpg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    26. Rcdean

Rcdean
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5
      Mine does the same 50" Dx750, raised the issue with iPlayer support awhile back and this was the reply I got.

Thank you for getting back in touch with us at BBC iPlayer support, apologies for the delay in our response to you.

We appreciate you getting back in touch to provide us with your TV software version to help with our investigation into this issue you're having with HLG logo not showing when streaming Blue Planet II on your Panasonic TV.

We raised this issue with our TV Platform Team and when testing they have confirmed your model of Panasonic TV will play Blue Planet II in 4K, however it was deemed to not support HLG HDR and it showed no indication of HDR when playing Blue Planet II content.

This could be done to the TVs hardware, if you would like any further information on this we would suggest contacting your TV manufacturer directly.

You can contact Panasonic using their contact details provided in this link:

Customer Service - Panasonic

I hope you find this information useful and thank you again for contacting us.

27. Mark Whistle

Mark Whistle
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8
      That is surprising.... did you launch the iPlayer from the TV Apps?

My system info screenshot for the same TV (65DX902B) appears to be the same as yours but HDR does not work on mine (backlight does not increase to 100%). I wonder what is different? Does the footie image appear to be obvious HDR?

28. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,279
      Guys, see my explanation regarding the faults (and ross' pictures) here: https://www.avforums.com/threads/panasonic-dx902b-owners-thread-part-4.2134208/page-95#post-26266660

The problem so far is that we have lots of feedback and photos from DX users but not many from EX or CX users also.

Even some photos from EZ users may be useful.

It will be easier to demonstrate to Panasonic how things should work compared to how they do by sending them a picture of a working EX model compared to our DX.

29. ozsat

ozsat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +76
      Something maybe worth noting on my picture above is that when using the tv's iPlayer app the tv reports HDR - yet with the V6 TiVo box is correctly states HLG.

30. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,279
      Just to check to be sure, your TV is reporting backlight on full and rec2020 colour gamut when you use your V6 box? But not when using the TV? Or it reports the same with both?

Edit* @ozsat sorry for being a pain, does the Panasonic iPlayer app also let you change picture mode and more importantly, does it let you change picture mode and save the settings you made to that picture mode so next time when you use the iPlayer live-uhd trial everything is as you left it? thanks.