1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling 504HDE owners for help!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by yan, Aug 20, 2004.

1. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having recently set-up my 504 I find my SKY picture is grainy, with DVDs its excellent, but is this the quality to expect from SKY?
    I have it (Pace2200) connected via RGB into input 1 although my RGB cable is very poor.

I have heard that some channels are better than others(they all look the same to me) which channels are the supposed better ones?

What actually is a bad picture from SKY nobody has actually qualified this so I am not sure if this is what I am seeing, all I know is that my picture is grainy and gets worse the closer you are to the screen.

Thanks guys
    Yan

2. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No one out there to offer some advice? :lease:

I just need to distinguish whether this is how it should be or whether I am getting a genuinely bad picture.

3. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Hi Yan

The problem with displays that show a lot of detail like the pioneers is that they don't 'round off' rought edges (grain) in the originating material (low quality broadcasts), unlike the 42" panasonics whose resolution is so low that it does round off and hide poor pixelation at the cost of any kind of picture detail.

The only positive help I can give you is to use an expensive mains lead (about £250) on the sky box that people use for expensive HIFI. I a use Transparent Audio - Super mains lead on my sky box. the image seems smoother and more vibrant and 3D-like. I bought mine from Acoustic Arts 01923 245250. (If they like you, they may lend you a cable to try before you buy)

4. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Chris, so this grainy picture is whats to be expected then and also what people mean when they refer to bad picture quality from SKY.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    For good Sky look at Home and Away on Channel 5. For bad look at something like RealityTV CHANNEL 187, any programme.

Gordon

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Five really are an excellent broadcaster for picture quality on Dsat, they make virtually everyone else including the BBC look poor, the only other channels that come close are SKY's premium movies and sports and NASN.

For those with flat panel displays and CRT's with lots of digital processing the limits of digital broadcasting have been passed, it's a shame there is no regulation inplace to define what is acceptable picture quality for UK channels.
    Don't want to get into the age old argument over the BBC and it's funding methods but regardless of your stance on the subject the one thing the BBC should be doing is setting the technical standards that will force the commercial broadcasters to follow suit, alas the BBC are just as guilty of squeezing too many channels onto to few transponders:(

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    Hello Yan

Try switching all the MPEG and Noise reduction features in the TV's user menu to OFF and then go through them one by one and see if they have a positive or nagative effect on your 'grainy' image.

Best regards

Joe

8. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does it make that much difference? Along with a decent scart how much improvement can I expect?

Joe I have tried turning them from high to off with negligebale difference, there is some very slight improvement when they are on.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  10. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    The mains lead does make some improvement (it filters out RF !*£# on the mains). £250 is a lot, but if you've just spent £2500 on a plasma, what is 10% on something that improves the quality, but try it out first because it does not always help.

what stand is the plasma on, come to that, what is the sky box sitting on?

I read a review of some plasma stands, and I noticed the picture was reported to be worst on glass shelves with no metal supports running along the length of the shelf, probably due to microphany effects due to glass flexing. Non believers scoff, but it does make a difference, what applies to audio (hifi) also applies to video. I put all my stuff on granate shelves - granate is dense and absorbs vibrations which helps the electronics to settle down. all this stuff is subtle, but it soon adds up and makes a real difference, like using quality cables that are properly screened with correct impedance.

11. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The box is on a 2.5 inch MDF shelf and the plasma is on the wall using the Pionner bracket.

I need to invest in a decent scart cable, I emailed Joe to recommend one, but he hasnt got back to me yet, but Im looking at the Supra AV6.

I think your mains cable is down to £180 now(as per the website), although not sure if this includes VAT. I may buy one of those if I can try it first as you say.

12. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im quite sure I am suffering from some sort of intereference. Channel 5 has the same grainy effect as all the other channels and I can definately say its no better at the moment that any of the other channels. Also I get sparklies around the edges of letters on the EPG so Im pretty sure this is interference and not just the poor quality of SKY broadcasting standard. Does this sound right guys?

At this stage I cant rule out the cause being the poor scart as it is the factory supplied cable. I should rule this out first, and then I can look to a decent mains cable if this doesnt help.

Is there anything else that could be causing this intereference, other than the scart or the mains lead?

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Are you sure you are outputting rgb? Crawling dot around text sounds like composite video to me....

Gordon

14. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have it connected into input 1,(which is the RGB input on the plasma), RGB selected for input 1 on the plasma and also RGB selected on the sky box.

15. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Have you got scart control ON in the Sky Menu?
    Do you know if the SCART lead is fully wired?

Switch between PAL and RGB on Sky box and see f you see a difference on SKY GUIDE. It should be VERY obvious change and if it isn't then something is wrong.

Gordon

16. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do have scart control on, I cant answer if my scart cable is fully wired because I dont know what that means, but it is the box standard factory supplied cable so I assume it isnt. I will go to the front room to try switiching between the RGB and PAL on the SKY box, back in a mo......

17. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon, that has a had a huge effect, I can say the grainy effect has gone as have the sparklies. I have set input 1 on the plasma to video and PAL on the SKY box.

What does this mean that my scart cable is not upto scratch, I thought RGB should give a better picture?

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  19. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are these, I dont think so I havent added anything to any of my equipment.

20. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The RGB connection between Sky & 504 is far better on my setup (which is a fully wired scart - a THOR cable I think.). SCART control is ON.

Mains cable is a "Suzywong Special" woven type, which made a small but worthwhile improvement to PQ and cost about a fiver!

21. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    they fit on the lead that goes from socket to plasma see link in previous post, you could also try them on Tuner mains too

22. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a look, no I definately have not, I will try them, but I guess the first thing is to get a decent scart (wired), then I will look at the mains cable and try some of the ferrite suppressers you suggest.

23. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    RGB should be obviously superior to composite video (pal). the fact you see a difference means your scart is fully wired. I suspect that something isn't right but I'm not sure what! If you can get hold of a higher quality scart to scart lead I'd try that first.

Gordon

24. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help guys, I will get a quality scart cable on Monday and get back to you all, thanks again.

Just to add the picture is definately more defined thorugh RGB and more what I would describe as blotchy through composite, but with RGB I definately get a more grainy picture.

25. Stonedog

Stonedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my 504 came with a ferrite supressor that i fitted to the screens mains lead near the plug...
    PQ wise i am VERY happy and impressed and all in all it has turned out to be even better than i thought it was gonna be...YAN do you sit very close to the plasma? i sit about 3 or 4 meteres away and can see no graininess unless standing up close to the screen and even then it is only really bad on certain channels.
    Wall mounted and using component connectors for my dvd player and a good quality scart cable connecting my Amstrad Sky+ box (fitted yesterday after having changed from my much loved TIVO)

26. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it is definately worse when I am closer up, I sit about 3-4 metres away as well, but I can still notice it.

I did have ferritte suppressor which I have connected to the mains cable of the screen near the socket, but it doesnt seem to have made any difference.

27. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my mains cable has been passed internally thorugh the wall so you cant see it at all,there is no plug. It has been removed from teh main cable and the wire is connected to the inside of the socket. When looking at it all you see is a plaque and not your standard socket, could this have an effect, although this would not be logical in that the grainy-ness disappears when viewing it through composite?

28. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again everybody

I have tried a better quality scart cable and low and behold the picture is 1000% better no trace of grain or the dot crawl around letters. :clap:
    I have to say the picture is even better than I had hoped. Maybe this is because I started off from such a low picture quality full of grain, but I am ecstatic not only that the problem has been solved but the quality of the screen. The cable I have used is not particularly expensive (£15) but its shielded and gold plated, there isnt even a make on it. I live abroad and I am very limited for choice, now that I have seen the difference I will order a good quality cable from the net, actually still waiting for Joe to recommend one, I emailed him but he must be busy.

A BIG thank you to everyone who helped and provided advice.

Yan

29. thebigkung

thebigkung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scart Sucks! :rotfl:

30. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: