Call of Duty: Vanguard Review & Comments

I’m sorry no disrespect to the review or the reviewer but I didn’t like it, it seemed like a journalistic review as opposed to a gamers review. A review ticking boxes, pasting in paragraphs from previous game reviews, a review by numbers or a review to get out by a deadline.

Granted the review is a personal review, all game reviews are personal but it’s positioning itself as an official review?

The single player has great graphics and sound, to be expected in a game now.

I don’t want to read any spoilers about the single player campaign so that was good.

The multiplayer is lacking? The reviewer does not describe what bits are lacking or how much time was spent on the multiplayer to make that decision?

I have prestiged one time already since the game came out, and still don’t know the best guns, attachments, perks or equipment to use, never mind fine tuning them to be correct for a certain game modes, stealthy, long range, short range?

I still don’t know all the maps in detail as to the best positions to take up and the positions to avoid?

I’m still not an expert on search and destroy or free for all? I still don’t know my favourite mode is it team death match, kill confirmed, patrol, hard point, domination or search and destroy?

What about the different multiplayer pacing types of tactical, assault or blitz?

What about maps, what’s the favourite maps?

The review is mind boggling how it can sum the multiplayer up as lacking when clearly time hasn’t been spent playing it, so the question is why even bother reviewing it unless it was a deadline that had to be met?

Last edited:
Not sure about a deadline, the game was released 10 days ago so any review now has kind of missed that review rush boat where it would gather most interest.

It's apparently the worst selling CoD game in the franchises history (UK sales anyway)

I think the main problem with CoD is that Warzone is so big, it dwarfs their paid for games and why do Activision continue to release a new CoD every year? Is there really that much demand? Even DICE have finally put the single player campaign to bed.

I can't stand Warzone. I've been a dedicated CoD player since CoD 3 and I really don't like Warzone.

Multiplayer in Vanguard is a glitchy mess. I'm up to prestige 1 and I'm finding it infuriating. Seriously considering going back to WWII as that ended up being one of the best CoDs released in recent years... at the end of its life-cycle :)

Mind, I am having great fun popping down a supply drop and placing a bouncing betty in the middle of it and beasting with a silenced BAR :D

Is it a glitchy mess? It's been absolutely fine for me. Think I have had one disconnect out of 50+ games. I haven't played a cod mp for years, and for me this feels like the best one I've played since the original black ops. Maybe I feel like this due to having a break from it.

Maybe I'll hate it this time next week and be composing a post full of disdain.

Is it a glitchy mess? It's been absolutely fine for me. Think I have had one disconnect out of 50+ games. I haven't played a cod mp for years, and for me this feels like the best one I've played since the original black ops. Maybe I feel like this due to having a break from it.

I agree, it certainly isnt a glitchy mess for me and I think the gun play is excellent. The only issue I have had is when in a party of 4 it sometimes doesnt connect to a game until we disband and another drives.

I was mega hyped for BF2042 but not touched it yet, as really enjoying this too. Each to their own I guess.

I agree, it certainly isnt a glitchy mess for me and I think the gun play is excellent. The only issue I have had is when in a party of 4 it sometimes doesnt connect to a game until we disband and another drives.

I was mega hyped for BF2042 but not touched it yet, as really enjoying this too. Each to their own I guess.
Yeah I had totally forgot about BF. I guess I will dive on that once vanguard has lost it's shine for me. I can't play both together, it's one or the other.

Yes it is. It doesn't just have to disconnect for it to be a glitchy mess.

A random selection of stuff I'm sick of:

Packet bursts
Keep getting put in new lobbies at the end of every match (so you end up playing the same maps over and over again)
Having to go in and change graphic settings every time you boot it up as they don't stick
You have to play a match before you can access your class slots as they lock whenever you switch it off
Spawns are a total nightmare
Gun balancing (constant STG or MP-45 fests) - the rest of the guns seem pretty good though
MVP borked graphics
That step at the front of the submarines on Sub-Pens, you can't step over it, you have to jump :)
That strange spotlight effect that happens on some maps
The grind is a nightmare, especially the camos, especially now they've tweaked the scoring
Zombies is a mess and feels like a mobile game

In some ways, it feels more like a beta than the beta did at times.

Last edited:
Oh, and 16 multiplayer maps used to be the norm way back.

On the plus side:

Love the pacing - very fast
TTK is excellent
WWII
Varied locations
Love what they have done with Dome and Castle
Generally love the maps, aside from Das Haus (depending on where you spawn) and Oasis (still struggle on this one for some reason)

Sorry I didn't mean to imply disconnects covered glitchy mess descriptions. I was just stating out of all potential issues I have only had that one disconnect.

I’m sorry no disrespect to the review or the reviewer but I didn’t like it, it seemed like a journalistic review as opposed to a gamers review. A review ticking boxes, pasting in paragraphs from previous game reviews, a review by numbers or a review to get out by a deadline.

This is why I preferred the reviews when it was fellow members that contributed like Guns and Ste and Hillskill. You knew what games they liked and what threads they posted in so you got a feel of the games they played and liked and then you could easily compare.

The Reviewers on the game side just don't contribute or post in any game threads so I have no idea what they like or don't like. It's not their job to do that they are paid to do a review but when you have someone like Cas on the TV side doing reviews you know what he likes or doesn't like.

Plus I miss the Polls we had and a Game Review Section.

It's great that AVF has reviewers but I don't bother with the game reviews and stick with my fellow gamers reviews.

Tempted by this, but might give it a miss. I've owned every CoD but almost never play campaign, as I find mp too all-consuming. If mp on this isn't anything special I'll probably pass. I also tend not to like the WWII CoDs that much - I prefer the modern day stuff.

The WWII multiplayers are the best ones IMO.

I suspect in a few months it'll either be one of the better multiplayer efforts or totally desolate. Strange how Sledgehammer hasn't bothered with the firing range or any of their 'innovations' from WWII though.

It's apparently the worst selling CoD game in the franchises history (UK sales anyway)

I think the main problem with CoD is that Warzone is so big, it dwarfs their paid for games and why do Activision continue to release a new CoD every year? Is there really that much demand? Even DICE have finally put the single player campaign to bed.
Could be because people (me included) bought a key that had to be redeemed using a vpn, cod sales in Brazil must be huge this year🤣

Tempted by this, but might give it a miss. I've owned every CoD but almost never play campaign, as I find mp too all-consuming. If mp on this isn't anything special I'll probably pass. I also tend not to like the WWII CoDs that much - I prefer the modern day stuff.
Personally I think its the best MP effort in a long time.

Could be because people (me included) bought a key that had to be redeemed using a vpn, cod sales in Brazil must be huge this year🤣

It would explain the low sales figures in the UK :)

Personally I think it’s the best multiplayer released this year and for COD.

I’ve found no technical issues, lots of variety, the challenge to improve and compete with the top leaders in the leader boards.

The maps are not lazy attempts that a lot of CODs previously have brought out, you know the standard 3 lanes with a building site in the middle. These maps are simply excellent, fun and interesting to play on.

Highly recommended from me having prestiged once now and actually played the multiplayer as opposed to just reading the box contents like some reviewers.

This is a decent COD (that's a complete for them)

It's much better than Black Ops last year, great having an old school vibe to it with operators, guns, kill streaks and of course the maps

This is why I preferred the reviews when it was fellow members that contributed like Guns and Ste and Hillskill. You knew what games they liked and what threads they posted in so you got a feel of the games they played and liked and then you could easily compare.

The Reviewers on the game side just don't contribute or post in any game threads so I have no idea what they like or don't like. It's not their job to do that they are paid to do a review but when you have someone like Cas on the TV side doing reviews you know what he likes or doesn't like.

Plus I miss the Polls we had and a Game Review Section.

It's great that AVF has reviewers but I don't bother with the game reviews and stick with my fellow gamers reviews.
I could have made that review in 5 minutes it’s just pasting paragraphs

The Trello board is a bit of an eye-opener:

Personally I think it’s the best multiplayer released this year and for COD.

I’ve found no technical issues, lots of variety, the challenge to improve and compete with the top leaders in the leader boards.

The maps are not lazy attempts that a lot of CODs previously have brought out, you know the standard 3 lanes with a building site in the middle. These maps are simply excellent, fun and interesting to play on.

Highly recommended from me having prestiged once now and actually played the multiplayer as opposed to just reading the box contents like some reviewers.
Totally agree. Cod lives and dies by it's maps for me and the ones in Vanguard are mostly excellent and well laid out.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom