• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member

Next-generation visuals

With next-generation consoles, the game will play at 4K resolution and refresh rates at 120hz. Cold War will use haptic controllers. The solid-state drives (SSDs) with flash memory in the new consoles will have faster load times, and that means that the loading screens will be gone, with seamless transitions between cinematics and gameplay.

“We want to make sure that the framerate is responsive, and that it feels like there’s nothing on the technical side preventing you from having a good time,” Bunting said.

The game will feature a global illumination system that makes use of real-time ray tracing. That means the lighting and shadows will be accurate, with rays of light bouncing around a scene in a realistic manner. You’ll see the effects of this in things like Woods’ pickup truck (with the fictional brand name Bannerocks), which has a run-down look that feels like it’s from another era. You see duct tape, cracked vinyl, and a CB radio in the interior.

“With the power of the next-gen systems, we’ll be able to add even more detail and put even more love into everything we create,” said Katie Sabin, a vehicle artist at Raven Software.

Lighting director Alberto Noti of Raven said that the team aimed for greater photorealism than ever before. It captured imagery of assets from the 1980s. And they would use the capabilities of the next-generation consoles to display the imagery with HDR, 4K, and wide color gamuts. The Soviet world was gray, but the team injected pink, purple, red, and other primary colors to change up the visuals in different scenes. The aim was to create a 1980s look and feel in places like an arcade or a bar.

Was Noti blowing smoke? I couldn’t tell, because I was watching a video presentation, and I didn’t get to see the game in the same room with the developers. But Call of Duty has never been a disappointment with its visuals.

The game will also have improved 3D audio, so it’s easier to figure out where the sound is coming from in a 3D environment, said David Vonderhaar of Treyarch. That means it’s taking advantage of advances in audio tech for the next-gen consoles.

“We couldn’t be happier how this new adventure for the next generation expands the universe,” Bunting said.

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
Simply Games have it up for pre order, check out the price :censored::censored:

FC294002-9FED-49C6-8315-0D04F0A548AC.jpeg

TellyTel

Distinguished Member
So is there a digital series x only standard version or would I need to preorder the cross gen version?

Im a bit confused about the cross gen version, because the series x and ps5 likely release around the same time so whats the point in this?

rowedav

Distinguished Member
The number of versions for this seems ridiculous. Can't seem to make head nor tail of it all (although I've not looked into it too much).

Remember when a game came out and there was 1 version, you'd buy it and go home and play it? The good old days :) Now you seem to need a master degree to work out which one to buy :laugh:

A Grumpy OAP

Established Member
So is there a digital series x only standard version or would I need to preorder the cross gen version?

Im a bit confused about the cross gen version, because the series x and ps5 likely release around the same time so whats the point in this?

@gunner84: It is a tad confusing. I pre-ordered the Cross-Gen bundle in case I do get the Series X - not necessarily on launch day now though. Yet looking through the other editions - like the Standard Edition -, they state that it will playable via backwards compatibility with Xbox Series X (see image below).

Screenshot 2020-09-01 at 13.41.55.png

However all the other editions state "Buy this digital Xbox One version of Call of Duty®: Black Ops Cold War from the Microsoft Store and download the Xbox Series X version at no extra cost when it launches.

So to me at least, it seems that if you get the Cross-Gen bundle or Ultimate Edition then you can download the latest and greatest XSX version otherwise it's the backwards compatibility route which might not have all the bells and whistles of the XSX?

Last edited:

TellyTel

Distinguished Member
@gunner84: It is a tad confusing. I pre-ordered the Cross-Gen bundle in case I do get the Series X - not necessarily on launch day now though. Yet looking through the other editions - like the Standard Edition -, they state that it will playable via backwards compatibility with Xbox Series X (see image below).

View attachment 1358737

However all the other editions state "Buy this digital Xbox One version of Call of Duty®: Black Ops Cold War from the Microsoft Store and download the Xbox Series X version at no extra cost when it launches.

So to me at least, it seems that if you get the Cross-Gen bundle or Ultimate Edition then you can download the latest and greatest XSX version otherwise it's the backwards compatibility route which might not have all the bells and whistles of the XSX?

Cheers, I noticed that as well standard digital will just be bog standard xb1 version on series x, so I would need the cross gen. Just seems a bit daft, why not just a standard series x digital version, I guess that’s the cross gen version, but they are just trying to be clever and confuse people like me.:laugh:

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
Never been a fan of Treyarch and always preferred the Infinity Ward games. Having just watched a Jack Frags MP video i think it looks like a backwards step from MW.

Last edited:

jdevil

Distinguished Member
Never been a fan of Treyarch and always preferred the Infinity Ward games. Having just watched a Jack Frags MP video of i think it looks like a backwards step from MW.

Agreed, used to be a big fan of the COD games, they peaked with MW, World at War and MW2, after Black Ops I gave up, couldn't believe how far back they went.

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
For me, they killed the franchise by adding big jumps and adding micro transactions...

I think after the last main ‘boots on ground’ was Ghosts....after that, it went straight down hill, some would say it went down hill even before that...

I’ll still buy the series, as I like to still play with friends, but they lost me at Advanced Warfare...it’s just not the same and lost its COD sparkle! I used to play for hours and hours..but now I’d be lucky to make it last 5-6 games :(

Last edited:

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
For me, they killed the franchise by adding big jumps and adding micro transactions...

I think after the last main ‘boots on ground’ was Ghosts....after that, it went straight down hill, some would say it went down hill even before that...

I’ll still buy the series, as I like to still play with friends, but they lost me at Advanced Warfare...it’s just not the same and lost its COD sparkle! I used to play for hours and hours..but now I’d be lucky to make it last 5-6 games :(
You should try Modern Warfare, its the best they've done for a while.

Waynej

Distinguished Member
Anyone found a reasonable pre-order price for a Series X disc copy? I'd consider below £50 a minor win.

Not interested in digital as I'm only in it for the campaign, just happy to blast through the typical Michael Bay COD rollercoaster with some next-gen sheen to it.

Waynej

Distinguished Member
£60 for the standard edition is absolute bananas. If anyone finds a better deal let me know.

I'll give Sony credit the contrast between their PS4 blue and PS5 white game covers means you'd be hard pressed to cock it up and buy the wrong one.

Screenshot_20200915-201024.png

Traditional Xbox green for both gen covers is confusing, especially when both covers state Xbox One and Series X. Admittedly this is more Activision's fault as if they supported Smart delivery then there'd only be one version on store shelves.

Even so, I think this fan mock-up with the black Xbox case could have helped to differentiate the next-gen versions.

Screenshot_20200915-202401.png

I guarantee some kids will ask for Xbox Series X and Cold War for Xmas. You know when some unwrap on the big day, every single one of them will get the Xbox One back-compat Cold War game, alongside either a Xbox Series S or Xbox One X. Tsk.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Hang on a sec - I don't do discs so not thought about this - for games that don't support smart delivery - they are showing the 'current gen' version as Xbox One and Xbox Series X because you can play it on both - but only the current gen version - and the 'next gen version' as the same but 'optimised for Series X' but you can still play it on XB1? That's ridiculous. Its ridiculous that Activision won't support smart delivery - but then what do you expect from Activision? But surely there is a better way of doing it - have the next gen version marked as such in some way? I get the colour scheme issue - but then there will only be one SKU for anything that is smart delivery so not sure that would work. I think just boycott people who don't support SD is the answer really....

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
That mock up of the case with the Black Xbox Series X should be the way forward and I’m surprised Xbox haven’t picked this issue up. Looking at the current way they have it set up, its very confusing!

I wonder if that mock up has been sent to Xbox, love the black case though looks very cool and suits the new gen console. Hate to admit it, but +1 for PS

Meridius

Prominent Member
has anyone seen the xbox series x version on amazon? i don't think they have it listed.

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
Hang on a sec - I don't do discs so not thought about this - for games that don't support smart delivery - they are showing the 'current gen' version as Xbox One and Xbox Series X because you can play it on both - but only the current gen version - and the 'next gen version' as the same but 'optimised for Series X' but you can still play it on XB1? That's ridiculous. Its ridiculous that Activision won't support smart delivery - but then what do you expect from Activision? But surely there is a better way of doing it - have the next gen version marked as such in some way? I get the colour scheme issue - but then there will only be one SKU for anything that is smart delivery so not sure that would work. I think just boycott people who don't support SD is the answer really....

No way MS or people will boycott Call of Duty, will no doubt be one of the big sellers of the year.

120FPS in SP?

Probably just MP.

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
£60 for the standard edition is absolute bananas. If anyone finds a better deal let me know.

I'll give Sony credit the contrast between their PS4 blue and PS5 white game covers means you'd be hard pressed to cock it up and buy the wrong one.

View attachment 1366343

Traditional Xbox green for both gen covers is confusing, especially when both covers state Xbox One and Series X. Admittedly this is more Activision's fault as if they supported Smart delivery then there'd only be one version on store shelves.

Even so, I think this fan mock-up with the black Xbox case could have helped to differentiate the next-gen versions.

View attachment 1366344

I guarantee some kids will ask for Xbox Series X and Cold War for Xmas. You know when some unwrap on the big day, every single one of them will get the Xbox One back-compat Cold War game, alongside either a Xbox Series S or Xbox One X. Tsk.

Now that would be an awkward one ‘Merry Christmas Son, I got you the new Call of Duty to play on your new white Xbox’ to be greeted with ‘where does the disc go in’ :rotfl:

SimonHavfc

Distinguished Member
Called into my local Smyths today and all the Series X games and PS5 games are £5 cheaper if you per order and collect in store. No time to place my orders today as was with the family and it was busy but I will be pre ordering all my Series X and PS5 games to collect on release day. £5 per game saving when buying 5 or 6 is well worth the effort of collecting.

daymouse

Distinguished Member
The price they are asking for this is taking the piss! I will pick it up at some point but only when its cheap or comes to GamePass. That's if COD games do come to GamePass at all!?

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
The price they are asking for this is taking the piss! I will pick it up at some point but only when its cheap or comes to GamePass. That's if COD games do come to GamePass at all!?

No they do not and due to them being very popular MP games the prices doesn't tend to drop that much until the next entry in the series is due for release.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom