Call of Duty 4 not set in WWII

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by jonnydynamite, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonnydynamite

jonnydynamite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/783/783270p1.html

The new trailer is to be unveiled on Saturday but the game is subtitled 'Modern Warfare'. Interested to see what Infinity Ward's take on it is and hope they manage to keep the single player up to the standards of COD2 while improving the multiplayer.

2. Monkeyspoon

Monkeyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Maybe its set in the middle east.

3. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    They said COD3, would be the last time the COD series would be set in WW2 before COD3 came out.

4. Shoki

Shoki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Really hope it is'nt set in modern day middle east, personally would find something a bit distasteful about being able to sit on the comfort of my couch and play a game set in a theater where people are still fighting and being killed. Perhaps it wont be so "modern" maybe a Vietnam era game?

5. Monkeyspoon

Monkeyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Modern could also mean in the near future like GRAW.

6. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    I know what your saying, but WWII was real aswell.

7. Shoki

Shoki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Yeah i realise that, and i realised i was going to sound a bit of a hypocrite when i posted, not sure how to explain it but i guess with ww2 being so long ago it makes it more exceptable i guess. It's over, it's resolved and it's history, and the cod game really do try to pay tribute. Unfortunately i'm one of those people who did'nt cheer at the sight of a huge explosion leveling buildings on the news broadcasts of the iraq invasion, thats nothing to do with my political views its more to do with the fact i don't find watching people die, whoever they are, entertainment. Really not trying to start any kind of moral debate here, like i say the idea of being able to re-create battles that are still happening in the comfort of my own home just does'nt sit very well with me, because unlike the previous games it would'nt be paying tribute to hero's who died for a cause that should never be forgotten, it would just be glorifying events that are still happening. Just my take gents not looking for an argument ;)

8. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    No probs mate, interesting topic actually:smashin:

An old fella across the road from where i used to live who fought in WWII always used to say on remembrance day 'why do they keep on trying to remember, i just want to forget!'

9. gritbox

gritbox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well if that is the case, just dont buy it?

10. Trist

Trist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Wasn't there some rumours that COD4 would be PC only a while back?

I can't see that happening with the money they've made on 360 and PS3 recently... and I'm guessing that if IGN's 360 section is reporting it we'll be seeing it.

Like people have said before me... hopefully it's back to COD2 goodness again, COD3 really hasn't gripped me like the first one did.

Oh and lets hope you can skip the bloody intro movies too!!!! :mad:

11. Shoki

Shoki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Wondered how long that would take ;)

12. gritbox

gritbox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    happy to oblige!

for what its worth, i do see where you're coming from.bottom line is tho,its only a game!

personally id love the chance toblow the heads off the al-qaedi scum!

13. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I don't know what version I'm going to get lol.
    Before, I would have got the PC version, not even thinking about it (I was very annoyed when CoD3 was announced as a console exclusive). However, having played CoD3 on the 360 (and more importantly on LIVE), I've warmed to it being on the 360. So I'll probably end up getting both the 360 and the PC versions lol.

14. jason g

jason g
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,783
  15. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    WW2 has the perfect story though. Big good race taking down evil little man. That said, I'm getting tired of the setting and a new setting, especially done well, would be a relief.

16. Shoki

Shoki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Yep i realise it's only a game, or perhaps it is'nt, we'll find out on saturday. Putting my personal feelings aside i can't actually see a game being based in modern day iraq fitting into the cod franchise very well, don't actually recall mention of any major battles with al-qieda, or is the game gonna be mainly avoiding road side bombs and dodging suicide bombers?? Or perhaps it could be the actual invasion itself, can imagine the missions now, "use your overwhelming technological and military might to capture point A from that small group of scared witless conscripts" or how about a bonus game involving rounding up the surrendering enemy troops as fast as you can. Of course they'd have to leave out the ability to call in an instant airstrike, unless of course you were feeling especially lucky, although there would be the consolation that no matter how badly you do in a mission the pentagon will put a nice shiny spin on it, give you a medal and make you a national hero :thumbsup:

17. dodger747

dodger747

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    I've deleted several posts as this isn't really the place for a political discussion of modern day events...:)

18. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    I don't see how mine was a political discussion. I simply stated, that distasteful as using suicide bomber might be in a game, that a game mode in which you have to disarm a constantly moving bomb might be fun.

Anywho, back on topic.

I can't say I've any great love for the COD series, probably due to the WW2 setting, which I tired off after the MoH series did it to death. I'd like to see some decent jungle environments a la Vietnam. I don't think they'll go down the future war route, and as has been said, the current climate is too fresh in peoples minds to be trivialised so.

19. akane_1984

akane_1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    I have to say I owned both COD2 and COD3 but never got far with either the whole WW2 era had become very been there done that. Like Chris I used to play a lot of the MOH series. . and with fresh titles like Vegas, GRAW its hard to go back to same old WW2 games.

I would like something in the way BF;Vietnam was done. that was an amazing game on the PC you could even change radio stations when in jeeps lol

20. ukkev2000

ukkev2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Those tunes were great as was Hanoi Hanna telling me I was like rat on sinking ship :D

I really liked that incarnation of BF, taking the huge risk of leaping on a chopper being flown by a total stranger, hoping that they knew how to fly :)

Yep, COD4 like that would be very, very cool.

Now just need to choose the theatre - Kosovo?

21. Hybrid_CA9

Hybrid_CA9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have to say, all the time I was playing CoD3, I was asking myself a question:

1. Is CoD glorifying war, or showing us the horror of it? After all, your character died often, but then the NPCs were pretty "Rambo" in their dialogue. I couldn't decide one way or the other.

2. What would a WW2 vet think of the game? Would he be glad that people were remembering the atrocity of war, or horrified that it had been turned into entertainment?

22. rio1981

rio1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +837
    What about the Falklands?

23. Deputy Dawg UK

Deputy Dawg UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I personally love the COD games but i think they have possibly done the WW2 thing to death....it would be good to see other ideas Rio's Falklands would be good.....

24. Hybrid_CA9

Hybrid_CA9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Rather than a stand-up fight between two military forces, are there many games currently that feature guerilla warfare or insurgency? Or is that R6/ Splinter Cell territory? I haven't player either of those yet so I don't know :p

25. Monkeyspoon

Monkeyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It has to be some kind of infantry style warfare. I hope it doesnt turn into the kind of game with artillery strikes all the time.

26. rio1981

rio1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +837
    Unless you actually had to play the part of the Argentines :cool:

There's no reason why the warfare genre can't be turned on it's head in this way - GTA-style games have you fighting criminals or being a criminal - why not spice things up a little by not conforming to what we may recognise as the "good" side?

27. Shoki

Shoki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Think to keep it in with the rest of the series it would have to be set in a theater where there were plenty of large scale engagements, there have been plenty of missions in the previous games where you felt like you were really up against it, either capturing a town a hill or a specific building and then being faced with a huge counter attack, all the time hoping the reinforcements turn up. Other than Korea, which is perhaps a little long ago to be described as modern, Vietnam i believe is the only resent conflict where battles actually happened that could be used in a gaming context, and where you really would be up against it. Of course the game does'nt necessarily have to be set in just one conflict, you could possibly have a British campaign in the Falklands, an American campaign in Panama, Grenada or Somalia, throw in another nation (one actually does'nt spring to mind) Russia in Afghanistan?? Although i think thats all highly unlikely i suppose it is a possibility.

28. darklord7

darklord7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I think its definitely time to move on towards a new setting. IMO Call of Duty 3 was pretty much an expansion pack for COD2 with a few graphic tweaks. I enjoyed it, but its becoming a little bit pedestrian.

Definitely time to move on to a new setting.

29. Monkeyspoon

Monkeyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'd prefer if it was world war 2 but in the Pacific. A bit like The Thin Red Line. MOH rising sun tried to do it but it was rubbish.

30. Orca

Orca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I hope that this game will have a cover system. Not just leaning sideways but proper stick yourself to the walls and taking accurate shots/blind fire. CoD games have always made good use of forcing the player to use the sights on guns, hopefully this one should be no different... except maybe look down the ironsight of an M16 or a red dot sight mounted on an M4 :D Non-linear levels would be nice too. No more predetermined paths please! :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.