Call of Duty 3 online

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Mattk84, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Mattk84

Mattk84
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    One of ther major failings of CoD2 online for me is the fact that there arent dedicated servers meaning that someone has to host so obviously has a distinct advantage due to zero ping.
    Does anyone know if Cod3 will have dedicated servers ?

2. Anotherlimey

Anotherlimey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +930
    I like the fact you can host yourself and pick what levels style of game etc, BF2 is a let down for me as there is no hosting, In this day and age with fast broadband ping isnt so much of an issue as it once was, I was hosting a COD2 game last night and higest ping was like 150, Not really an advantage to worry about is it? :rolleyes:

3. Mattk84

Mattk84
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    yes,but a ping of 150 is actually quite large.i have played online with pc and regularly got pings of 30-50 as an average.my point is that zero ping compared to 150 is actually small in actual terms but in gaming terms its the difference between winning and losing as it equates to roughly 1/6 of a second ie a trigger press to shoot or be shot.

4. csd7025

csd7025

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I agree somtimes when you've been killed when you watch the replay of "him" killing you it looks alot different than it did in the first instance. Not a big issue to me as its my best excuse for being distintivley average:)

5. Anotherlimey

Anotherlimey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +930
    Well 150 was the max, Most would be sub 100, Surely on dedicated servers people would still have a ping advantage over others?

Just enjoy the game and stop making excuses for you loses hehe :devil:

6. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Not quite sure what the advantage is, the host still needs to receive player information from each of the players in the game. If there's lag, the opponents can still jerk around. There's only zero ping to himself but then, that's the same for every other player in the game. :confused:

7. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    The only way COD3 on the 360 can have dedicated servers, is if Microsoft get some real servers from groups like Jolt UK or if the host does not play in the game at all, in other words cannot watch the game or play in it.

8. weaponx_uk2003

weaponx_uk2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    or the makes of the game could put some servers up like they do with PC games

9. mx-revelation

mx-revelation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry to jump in on this thread got to get this of my chest
    that ping of 50 ms is bull

if a cod server is hosted in the uk and i connect i assume id have a ping of around 50 or under
    likewise if usa players connects to same game im in there pings going to be higher around 120 150

theres 2 ping rates going on here 1 for xbl that seems to have a higher threshold

and 1 for lan games 50ms max thats to stop kia and xbc and other tunneling apps and force everyone to join xbl

appolagies had to get that of my chest

10. T800

T800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Unless there's actual obvious lag I don't find large ping a problem, in SPIKES lobby last night I had the the hightest ping of 150 but the game still felt perfectly smooth to me.

11. Trist

Trist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Just spotted a little bit of infomation on the Call of Duty 3 multiplayer from 360moster.com
    24 players online :thumbsup:

12. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    Read this yesterday and im well happy. Hopefully then can limit the classes liek you can on the PC. Coming from playing COD online on the pc to the 360 was a pain in the ass, as most game just turn into a sniper battle. Hopefully this can be sorted by the host or server etc to make a more balanced game. Hope they use all the nice post processing and partical effects in MP to make it look hectic like in the SP videos i seen last week :thumbsup:

Cant wait.

13. Nivek TT

Nivek TT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,026
    Thats the big benefit of dedictaed servers in my opinion, large player numbers!!!

I'd love to see dedicated servers. I'm part of an Xbox 360 clan / community (although not very competitive) and we'd love to chip-in together and rent a dedicated server like the PC based clans do!

I've got one of the best available broadbands in the UK (Telewest Elite, 10Mb download approx 370kb upload). I can host 8 player CoD no problem but only about 10 player GRAW. I can host 12 player Halo but push it up to 16 and lag creeps into the game. I don't see how people can host 24 player games with current broadband speeds without the aid of dedicated servers.

14. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Not in the UK but if your lucky you can get some friends from other countrys. We have a bunch of great lads from Norway who joined our clan they have
    6-8meg UPLOADS:eek: each so hosting full 16 player GRAW is easy and smooth as silk.
    The real pity is why games dont have a dedicated server option like Rainbow 6 on the xbox1 had that way people with large uploads could set up a 2nd 360 on there connection and have it running 24/7 as a dedicated server.