Call of Cthulhu- help, I'm stuck!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Wiggins, May 7, 2007.

1. Wiggins

Wiggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Anyone else have Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth for xbox?
    I'm running it on my 360 (it's a backward compatable game) and have become utterly stuck approx 80% of the way through. I'm in the city beneath the ocean and have got all my gear back and cleared everywhere of the fish-men. I need to get the hammer in a particular room in the jail/ dungeon area, but can't get through the door as there is a large creature on the other side. The character won't even try to open the door anymore, just keeps saying that he needs to find a way to neutralize the beast on the other side. Near to the room is a "feeding" hatch. I've put the blue poisonous plant into the hopper and closed it, but nothing happens. I understand that this is the correct thing to do form the only solution I found on GameFaqs, but I simply can't get any further. Anyone help!

2. David_78

David_78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi :) - nice to know someone is playing the game! (but are you enjoying it?! ;)).
    As far as I remember, you need the plant killer or poisen from the lab, and some bucket of slop/food...you put them both in the feeder. When you kill the guy inside the cell, there should be a hammer in there. Tip: you use that with a chisel to get a crystal to power up the lithian portal that's at the top of the jail area. Tip 2: to get there you need to kill the weeds before you can climb up.

I should remember it as I built the underwater level (well, most of it) ;) But it was some yeas ago now. There's plenty of helpful people around on the cthulhu forums though:

www.callofcthulhu.com

BTW: are you playing this on 360 via VGA connection or something else?

3. Wiggins

Wiggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Cheers for that- looks like I need to find the bucket of food/ slop!
    Yes- I am quite enjoying the game so far. Really enjoying the whole Lovecraftian atmosphere. You say you helped build some of the levels? Wow- a genuine celebrity! Any chance of a next-gen Cthulhu game?
    As for connections- I'm using the HD component cable. The 360's set to 720p though, which means I'm playing the game in 4:3, which is a bit of a bummer.
    Thanks again for the tips.

4. David_78

David_78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Any chance of a next-gen Cthulhu game?

Not from the developer that made that one (Headfirst) - they went bust not long after the release of Cthulhu. The publisher did a steller job of promoting our game :mad: (most people haven't heard of it either, though it got pretty good reviews all round).

Glad you're enjoying it though, even so long after it's release
    :thumbsup:

5. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,898
    I got stuck around about the same place when I was playing it through on my PC, loved the game, escpecially the bit when you are in bed and they are coming for you, having to get through the door, lock it and get through another was heart stopping action :D

6. Markoos

Markoos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I've got nowhere near that far, but it's a terrific game - interesting that someone on here worked on it! I've found it is incredibly dark through the 360 though, which has proved problematic - obviously it's a dark game in any case, but far more so through the 360... at least on my TV anyway (playing in 1080i on a 27" HD TV).

7. Wiggins

Wiggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hah- yes I too enjoyed the section in the hotel when you had to keep locking the doors and pushing furniture up against them. A real panick-stricken gaming moment. As for being too dark- perhaps it's an obvious thing to suggest but have you tried altering the setting within the game menu? I think you can up the gamma of the game. I agree though, it is very dark (I've never tried it on an xbox to compare) although it isn't too off-putting as long as you play at night- which is surely when all good "survival" horror games should be played!
    A pity the game didn't get marketed better. Interestingly enough, there appears to be a Call of Cthulu 2 opening video on YouTube. Anyone know if this is a fake? As David_78 says the developer went bust, it seems a little odd.

8. Markoos

Markoos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Yeah I maxed the brightness on the in-game menu and turned up my TVs contrast too... and was still dark. D'oh! Ended up playing it looking very washed out, but certainly wasn't bad enough to detract from the atmosphere.

Anyway a sequel was well under way and slated for release about 6 months after the original (was called In The Mountains Of Madness I believe) so I imagine the video is real. I thought it had just been delayed or transferred to next generation consoles, so very sad to hear that they've in fact gone bust :(

9. David_78

David_78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi chaps,

Glad you enjoy the game :)

We were working on various ideas for sequels, though not much was set in stone. Beyond The Mountains of Madness was very early in dev stages. The biggest shame is that we had a great PS2 Cthulhu game in the works, called 'Destinys End' which was a third person survival horror, with co-op play and split screen ala '24' style. It was looking and playing really well, with some mighty impressive visuals for the PS2.

Shame HF went under, I believe they had the Cthulhu rights for a good few years, so sequels would've been on the next gen.

10. ucci

ucci

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Does this work through VGA on the 360?

11. David_78

David_78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    It didn't the last time I checked (sometime last summer), but it might now, via a Live update. I'd try it if I could be bothered to get my ethernet cable out :)

12. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,898
    I thought only XBox games that had a 60hz mode would work through VGA or has that rule changed?