call from 0831 number?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by JSP1980, Nov 27, 2010.

1. JSP1980

JSP1980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, I just wondered if it's possible for people to call you on a 0831 number still?
    I received a call last night from an 0831 number the line was really fuzzy and the caller was asking for someone called Rob
    I said sorry you have got the wrong number and hung up but thought it seemed a bit strange so I tried calling the number back and got the message; sorry the number is disconnected or out of service

2. Giraffe76

Giraffe76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Sounds very strange but if you get this call again i wouldnt answer it and just hangup the call as there are scammers who use strange numbers to phone you with to try to draw you into their scam...

If it persists contact your phone supplier and get them to block the number or change your number..

sorry i cant help you further...

3. JSP1980

JSP1980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a voicemail message from this number as it was left in the night when my phone was switched off and it was the same bloke he left a landline number to call and said Rob please get in touch mate, it sounded quite urgent. So I phoned the landline today to explain that whoever this guy is he has got the wrong number and a woman answered the landline. I said I've been getting calls from this 0831 number from a guy called Dave asking for a Rob to call him and she went silent. I said is everything ok and she asked me to hold the line whilst she checked something. She went off for a few minutes keeping me on the line

So by now I'm thinking, this better not be a scammer keeping me on the phone whilst the cost is mounting up but I phoned a Sheffield landline number so I thought it should be ok. Anyway, the woman came back and said when did you receive this call and I explained, just in the last few days. She sounded nervous and she said well that's strange as Dave is my son and yes that was his mobile number back in the early 1990's but he died in a car accident in 1994.

I was utterly gobsmacked as you can imagine, I apologised to her but she said it's ok don't worry. Apparently she has had one or two messages from Dave over the years. She said Rob was his best mate and asked if I knew Dave or Rob to which I said no.

I'm really freaked out by all of this now and I'm thinking of changing my number! :confused: